Home
Hi.
I have my eye on two very clean recent 375's.... one is a model 70 safari express (controlled feed)... one a CZ 550... the safari express can be picked up for 800....the CZ for 900. Doesn't look like either one has had more than a few boxes of shells through them. Your advice?
Old Crab, by all means go with the model 70 Winchester and you will never regret it for one minute. Those CZ's have been having problems with wood stocks!
Thanks Tonk... good advice, due to the stock-problems.
I picked up a left hand model 70 about 6 months ago. I really am liking this rifle. Its a little heavy, but it just fits and shoots so well for me. Taking it to Montana in three days. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/grin.gif
Thanks bluecyclone... another thumbs-up for the model 70. Much appreciated.
The model 70 and .375 are made for each other.

JW
I own a CZ-550 in 375 H&H. I really like the rifle especially since it has the double square bridge and 5 round magazine. I have never had any issue with the stocks on the CZ-550, but I take proper precautions to reinforce the stock (which is a good idea on any big bore, they can all split stocks). If you're curious, here's how to reinforce a big bore rifle's stock.

Having said all that, I'm going to side with the crowd here. At $800, you should jump on the M70. The M70 will be slightly lighter to carry and $800 is a pretty nice deal.
I purchased a model 70 Safari Express in 375 and couldn't be more pleased. Fine handling and shooting rifle. Weight not a factor, helps with the recoil which is negligible.
In my experience, the CZ's weigh quite a bit more than the M70 and is one reason to go with the Winchester. You won't be sorry with the Safari Express in .375.
another plug for the M70. i bought one just because and it has gradually worked itself up to one of my favorite rifles ever.
I am a big fan of the CZ550's (See avatar to your left....) and no, there is no trouble with the wood stocks BUT.... they are needlessly heavy for a 375 H&H. Great format for a 416Rigby, 505 Gibbs etc but if I were in the market for a hurt and hurt it would be a model 70 or similarly sized CRF rifle such as a Dakota or Kimber. Go with the model 70 and you will have a great rifle ready to go anywhere and do anything that should be attempted with a hand held rifle.
After the good advice, I settled on the M70... was at Cabelas in Lacey Washington. They had told me it was a "Safari Express" when I had called over the phone. When I got there, it turned out to be a M70 controled feed "Super Express"... not a mark on it, and a great stock. Cabelas also had a new Safari express on the shelf, and I compared... the Super Express has a little bit better fit/finish and better wood. I think I am a happy camper. Serial number is G166552. Tried to look up the year, but couldn't find anything online that does the trick. Now on to buying some brass and dies, and the fun will begin!
I've got the same rifle and it's a sweetheart. Try a 300gr Hornady and a minimum load of H4895 (as listed in the Hornady manual) for very low recoil and a nice "thump" on the target backstop. grin
Thanks Oregon45... will give it a "go".
Cheers,
Old Crab
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
The model 70 and .375 are made for each other.

JW

Ditto.....you know what they say about "truer words"..... wink
I've owned a number of .375 H&H rifles over the years (since back in the mid 1960's), and it's hard to go wrong with a good M70.

As others have said; Winchester Model 70 and .375 H&H just go together.

My current "favorite .375" is a Win 70 Classic Stainless/Synthetic that is easy to lug around in the woods during foul weather conditions at a weight of 8lb/10oz.

I have a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 along with Talley bases and QD rings that I will probably mount, but even with my old eyes the open sights are accurate out to 150 or so yards.

[Linked Image]
IMHO, the M70 is a very good deal, also I believe the CZ is over-priced used.
© 24hourcampfire