Home
Posted By: rogn scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/19/11
I realize the 375 isnt considered a "big bore" by some but My Howa-Ruger 375 has busted two scopes this year. The first a Nikon Monarch and the recent Meopta. I decided to chew the bullet and ordered a Leupold VX 3 in 1.75-6. I know of the recomendations of the 2.5s and the 1.5s. I wanted a variable that can go from smelling distance to 300 yds if needed. Planning a combo return trip to SA in the future. Meopta failed on 11-17 and needed a scope quick , since I wanted to use the 375 for everything available-chucks to hogs(practice, practice, practice), and whitetail open next week. I realize im commited, but just wanted feedback on this model if pssible. If it makes it thru the season and needs to move to lighter rifle, ill do that later. My experience w/ Leupold is that they hold up well, but this is my first 375. Any insights or opinions?
I think that you were smart to get the Leupold.... too bad you didn't choose it first.

The VX 3's seem to get good reviews here on big bore rifles. At the very least, they have the lifetime warranty and a good rep for customer service with quick turn-arounds.

Excellent eye relief as well; your second most important criteria for scoping a big hole rifle, after reliability. (MHO)

I just got a Rem 700XCR in .375H&H, and I am installing a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X that resided on my Win 70 338WM. I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X on the 338WM.

Curious...how many rounds did the Nikon take to break, vs. the Meopta???

Please report on your experience with the Leupold when you try it..

Coltracer Steve
Ok - I'm ready to take some poking and prodding. For my first African hunt I decided to put a Bushnell 3-9 on my Whitworth .375 H&H because I wanted to put in DSTs and claw mounts that cost almost a thousand bucks all by themselves. I figured that if the Bushnell failed I could use the irons and not be too limited. The Bushnell stayed on the Whitworth for 20 years and never burped, blundered, or blew up! Not bad for a $79.00 scope. For God only knows what reason I decided to switch out every scope on my "serious rifles" - the rifles that I used for almost all of my hunting. Even before I started looking at new scopes I saved enough to buy something that I would be proud to show off. To make a long story short I talked to all of my friends and even a few enemies and decided to try a 3-9 Redfield 5 Star. I now have had seven of these hardy scopes on my "favoritist" serious rifles. Then I added a Redfield 1.5 5.5 widefield to my Mauser .416 Taylor, fully expecting it to come apart at the seams. Been there for twenty years and shoots just fine!

Now for the real dubm scope choice. I put a Simmons 6-24 on a custom SAKO .308 just wanted to see how it might work on white tailed deer half way across the pasture. I now have six of those scopes on .308, .30-06, and , wait for it, my Ruger .338 and they all have performed PERFECTLY. Now my Zeiss scopes also work just fine, as do my ancient Weavers, but I noi longer believe that id a scope costs less than a decent rifle it isn't worth trying out - or using. This is just my experience but another gn writer pal has a $100.00 Tasco that tops out at 40x mounted on his Savage . 308. Darn thing shots bug-hole groups WAAAAYYYY out there and has proven that sometimes less costly scopes ain't cheap.

Terry
Posted By: jpj3 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/19/11
Rogn,

I have a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x on my .375 H&H Model 70 and it has held up well. I've used Leupold bases and quick release rings with good return to zero when I take the scope off and on. You should be as well served with a similar combination.

Best,

jpj3
Posted By: toad Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/19/11
i have a 6x36 on a .375 ultra that's held up for a 300+ rounds and a Leupold 1.5-5 MK 4 on a .375 AI that's taken a bunch more than that.

I dunno if they still do, but Leupold used to claim that the 1.75-6X32 is their toughest variable.
Be that as it may, it's always a a good idea to throughly test a new scope for at least 60 rds. of full power ammo before taking it hunting. Even scopes with solid reps like Leupold and S&B have been known to go belly up quickly if a bad one gets out of the factory. E
In my experience, Leopolds stand up to recoil plenty well. Where they fall down and fail is side blows like being tripped over and knocked over by a tracker or a hunter falling while chasing an animal and hitting the ground hard. I have seen too many Loopys go room temperature at inopportune times with such falls or hits and cost my clients trophys. Yes, Leopold fixed or replaced the scopes later, but that did not bring back the missed or wounded animals that were lost because of scope failure. Burris Posi Locks on heavy rifles for me, from now on.
Posted By: orion03 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/20/11
Are those Burris's pretty heavy compared to a similar Leupy?
No one is mentioning fixed power scopes. Would those with experience with both types please take it up?
My 375 Ruger African wears a 2x7 Kahles. Seems like it was made for it!
Posted By: 99FEVER Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/21/11
I just bought a .50 BMG. I know little about this new adventure. What is the least expensive scope that I can put on it, have a high amount of magnification so I can use it for waaaaay long shots?

Would appreciate any and all input.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/21/11
Originally Posted by jpj3
Rogn,

I have a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x on my .375 H&H Model 70 and it has held up well. I've used Leupold bases and quick release rings with good return to zero when I take the scope off and on. You should be as well served with a similar combination.

Best,

jpj3

Two trips to Africa and over a dozen animals including buffalo and no issues.
My .458 has chewed up and spat out 2 scopes so far, a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5x-5x and a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75x-6x. The rifle has been fired quite a bit with heavy loads (maybe 700 rounds of full power 500 grain and another 500 or so of midrange 405 and 350 grain loads).

The windage adjustment went TU on the 1.75-6 and the erector assembly was rattled on the 1.5-5. Leupold fixed both scopes. The .458 now wears a Leupold M-8 3x fixed power scope. So far, so good.
I ran a Leupold 1.75x6 on my first Sako factory .375H&H with nary a hiccup until I sold the rifle. I am running a Leupold VXR 4x12 on my new custom Sako .375H&H (for elk) with no issues, so far either.

AS mentioned above, the Leupold scopes generally have sufficient eye relief to get the scope far enough forward to minimize scope bite. I have never been "bit" by either of these rifles.
Posted By: rogn Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/25/11
Well got teh Leupy,thick duplex, and sightedn in yesterday. Clicks are repeatable. The scope is clear and seems to have good light , dimlight capability. Thick crosshairs seem good in low light conditions. Ive put about 30 rounds thru it since mounting. Have a powder isssue at moment, used the last of a good lot. Time will tell in a bit, but so far I like the scope a lot. The Nikon was on a 300WSM for a couple of years and I think on a Savage MLII so it was shaken well before mounting on the Howa. 25 or so rounds shook it out. THE Meopta saw about 100+ before acting up. However, the ring system may be part of the picture as they started to slip. Recleaned and remounted, it seemed OK for a few shots then got eratic again. I think the heavy 21 oz Meopta over came the clamping ability of the rings and they would shake and try to climb over the cross grooves of the mounts. The scope will go on another rifle of established accuracy for a further evaluation. The little 10 OZ Leupy should ride much better on the Howa.Further reports hopefully on the way.
My .375 Bee's (8.5 lbs. scoped and loaded) been wearing a Weaver V10 2-10x38 for 5 years with great results. I actually picked the Weaver because of its 11 oz. weight. Figured it'd generate less inertial forces internally, yada, yada. Don't know if I'm smart or got lucky. But the scope is optically, quite crisp, and is still riding the gun in good health. I'd rather be lucky than good any day. grin
The 375 rugers I've owned both wore zeiss conquests, as did the 416 ruger. All worked great and never lost zero. Zeiss says their scopes are recoiled tested to 460 wby parameters. I believe it as I have not had a failure yet. I had a ruger #1 in 416 rigby that wore a vx2 1-4x20. It worked also. Never gave me a problem. Happy shooting!
After considerable big bore experience with sending scopes back, I won't use anything but a Leupold or Zeiss on the big ones. I have also heard Burris holds up well on them, but haven't the personal experience. I do have an older VariXIII 1.75-6x with a Premier Reticles no. 4 on a .416 Rigby that has been sighted in several years ago and never touched since. If 105 H4831 and a 370 NF doesn't shake it loose, your .375 won't. I also scrambled a Nikon on a .375 as well, a 2-7x Monarch. It was replaced and is on a 7x57 now. I just don't think they are a big bore scope, IMO.
Night force is tough as nails, better than Leupold or Zeiss. all good scopes for heavy hitters.

Monarch, Burris, Nikon.
Don't put them cheap scopes on the heavy hitters.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/27/11
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
No one is mentioning fixed power scopes. Would those with experience with both types please take it up?

3X or 4X Leupold.Seen some variables chewed up by 375's.I've killed a couple myself, and last year a pal had a 1.5-5X Leup go buns up after 300 or so rounds in his 375H&H.They fixed it; he sold it.

His now wears a 4X Leupold.
I've had good results with the variable I had on my 378 for 20 years. I've switched to NF. After I saw my brother roll his quad a bunch of times down a ravine with his rifle mounted on it. The rifle barrel looked like a bannana and the trigger guard ripped off. The NF had a few scratches but he still uses it. Some folks complain about the weight of NF scopes at 16 oz but if you want an eggshell scope go for it but don't expect it to survive if you go ape on your rig.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/27/11
378: I hear NF scopes are tough.....I have never had one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a few and swear by them.
First of all, all scopes will shift their zero if impacted hard enough. Either that, or they'll simple break.
I haver some serious doubts that any system that locks the scope's zero really works. Why ? Because nobody but Burris uses it, and even they offer the same scopes w/o it. All the other good ideas in scopes have been copied by all the other makers. But not posi-lock.
Second, scope breakdown results from a cumulative effect. That's why the better scope makers that really test their scopes state not only how much they impact their scopes, but how often as well.
Leupold's impact testing for their scopes, except some of their Mark 4 scopes and their pistol scopes, is 750 g's for 5000 times. Their pistol and some of their Mk.4 scopes are tested at 1500 g's for 5000 times. Nobody else impact tests their scopes to this level. E
Posted By: toad Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/30/11
i've heard some of the MK4s were built to survive on heavy automatic weapons.

i wound up with one in 1.5-5X on a .375 AI, and i kinda like it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ringman Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 11/30/11
rogn,

I put a Tasco 4-16X on a .340 Weatherby and a .375-.416 Rem Mag. Both scopes are still going years later.
I used a Leupold Vari X II 2-7 on my CZ 550 416 Rigby for years with no problems, and I did shoot it a lot more than most people will shoot their big bores. I used it for coyotes out my bedroom window or off my front porch from 1999 until I sold the gun two years ago.
Leoupold will stand up to normal wear and tear-no doubt about it.
Don,t drop your rifle 25 ft from a tree stand and expect it to survive. That,s the stuff I'm talking about.
1.5X5 on the 358 Norma,1000 rds so far so good'

1.5X5 on the 425 Express 300 rds so far so good!

The thing that Leupold has going for it is they are absolutely weatherproof!
We had a guy post here whose Leupold did survive dropped 25 ft.from a tree.
If Nightforce scopes are so tough, how come there is a very long wait to get one fixed ?
Tough scopes, BTW, aren't necessarily the same ones that hold up under recoil.
Some of Leupolds Mk.4's are built to survive 1500 G's, 5000 times. I understand Nightforce tests their's at 1000 G's and doesn't tell you how much of that they can take. E
Posted By: Fotis Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/08/11
Had one Nightforce and sold it. It was like mounting a baseball bat on top of my rifle.
Cumbersome and very heavy.

I love my leupies.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by Eremicus
If Nightforce scopes are so tough, how come there is a very long wait to get one fixed ?
Some of Leupolds Mk.4's are built to survive 1500 G's, 5000 times. I understand Nightforce tests their's at 1000 G's and doesn't tell you how much of that they can take. E

Nightforce tests their scopes (if memory serves to 1200 G's0 both positive and negative and come with a lifetime warrenty
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by BobinNH

3X or 4X Leupold.Seen some variables chewed up by 375's.I've killed a couple myself, and last year a pal had a 1.5-5X Leup go buns up after 300 or so rounds in his 375H&H.They fixed it; he sold it.

His now wears a 4X Leupold.

I have onloy 2 words for my reply "Shimdt& Bender" THAT IS ALL
Posted By: 458Win Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/09/11
I have a three word reply -- Leupold fixed power

I don't like scopes that weigh more - or cost more - than my rifles
I've got one of the older model (not current custom shop) Leupold 3x on my Ruger #1 458 Lott. Sighted it in 2" high @ 100 with 400's @ 2200fps and have since been pounding the crap out of it with 350 TSX's @ 2650fps and 500's at 2200fps. Damn thing is as stubborn as a mule - it won't budge. Anytime I switch back to the 400's, the all lob right into a group 2" high @ 100.
Posted By: olblue Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/09/11
I had a 1X4 Leupold on a Whitworth .375 for somewhere over 400 rounds mostly 300 gain. My mod 70 Classic .375 wares a 1.5X5 Leopold over 200 rounds. I had 2x7 Leupold's on 2 different .338WMs if that qualifies as a heavy kicker, I lost count of the 250 grain rounds likely over 1000 in the Ruger before I sold it. None have ever given a problem. --- Mel

PS. Glad to see the 3X Leupold holding up well (as if I had a dought)I mounted a like new older model on my Mod. 70. 458, but haven't gotten a chance to go to the range.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by Eremicus

So much for Leupold's vaunted recoil testing..

[Linked Image]

Calvin's Custom Shop scope...

[Linked Image]
I'm with Phil (458Win) on this. Why in hell would I want to spend well over a thousand bucks on a scope, when I can buy a Leupold fixed-power for a few hundred and have it hold up just as well on a big-bore? Especially when there's no need for vast magnification on such rifles.

I have a pile of scopes, made by a bunch of different manufacturers, including Hensoldt, Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B and have owned a Nightforce. They're good scopes, but in my experience none are more reliable on a rifle chambered for hard-kicking cartridges from the .300 magnums on up to the .40+ elephant killers than a fixed Leupold. And some of the variables aren't as trustworthy as a fixed Leupold.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/10/11
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have a three word reply -- Leupold fixed power

I don't like scopes that weigh more - or cost more - than my rifles

I don't like scope with a dim blurry view on my rifles. The 1 1/4X4 S&W that I picked up in the classifieds on 24 hour for 500 is a hell of a deal. A field of view that is incredible and a low light delight
I have the same scope on a .375 H&H that has seen ~400 rounds and so far no problem. I have a VXIII 2.5-8 on CZ550FS that has seen ~600 rounds and no problems. I had a VXII 3 - 9 on a Sako .375 that lasted ~100 rounds......

The FS is a 9.3X62
I've run a truck load of rounds thru my M70/375Wby with a 3-10 Leo on top. Never a hiccup, I don't use it much for chucks/yotes like I used to so if going with a new scope for it I'd go with a 6x36 Leo w/dotz.

Dober
I have the Leupold VX-III, 1.75x6 on my .375. Only about 50 rounds so far, but no problems.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm with Phil (458Win) on this. Why in hell would I want to spend well over a thousand bucks on a scope, when I can buy a Leupold fixed-power for a few hundred and have it hold up just as well on a big-bore? Especially when there's no need for vast magnification on such rifles.

I have a pile of scopes, made by a bunch of different manufacturers, including Hensoldt, Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B and have owned a Nightforce. They're good scopes, but in my experience none are more reliable on a rifle chambered for hard-kicking cartridges from the .300 magnums on up to the .40+ elephant killers than a fixed Leupold. And some of the variables aren't as trustworthy as a fixed Leupold.

Respect your opinion and knowledge on such things but why would I buy a Ferrari and drive it a shopping cart speeds. A 378 bee has 3000 ft lbs hitting energy at 500 yds shooting 270 grain SP bullets-with a 3 ft drop why would I install a fixed unit on it and possibly miss my target. Same goes for my 338/378 kinda dumb to go fixed on rifles like that????
Posted By: 458Win Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/13/11
Fixed power scope were used successfully by our military snipers until very recently. A good shot doesn't need as much power as most folks think. I have made first round hits on game out past 500 yards with "only" 2 1/2 X scopes. Plus 2 1/2 Leupold compacts are incredibly tough, this one has spent twenty -eight years on my 458 with absolutely no babying and still going strong

!

[Linked Image]
378Canuck,

I don't know how your eyesight is, but I've never had any trouble hitting small targets at longer ranges with a fixed-power scope.

But now you've got me curious: How much magnification do you think is required to hit big game animals in the right place at the 500 yards mentioned in your post?
I use variables for a different reason. Lots of field of view up close and I can shoot smaller groups when sighting in, which gives me more confidence. Notice I did not say ability smile

Also, Variables oft have a larger objective lens than a low X fixed power scope so at lower or medium of the dial powers really good exit pupils.

That said, I will defer to JB and Phil, My experience pales in comparison.

My favorie, though no longer made, is the Colorado built Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5 Posi Lock with thick post and crosshiar reticle. Love those scopes on the big boys.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/13/11
378Canuck,

I don't know how your eyesight is, but I've never had any trouble hitting small targets at longer ranges with a fixed-power scope.

But now you've got me curious: How much magnification do you think is required to hit big game animals in the right place at the 500 yards mentioned in your post?

JB: I don't know about 378 Canuck but,after 40+ years of using 4X scopes I have advanced to an age level where, in open country,and ideally , I like a 6X...despite the fact that I still have 4X scopes and use them quite a bit.

I don't know why this is,as my eyes check out pretty good for someone my age and the doctors tell me I have eyes like a 45 year old...but it is what it is and I think the buguboo for me is deer hunting,watching open areas,as the damn things are looking smaller to me these days and more magnification helps quite a bit,especially on the far side of 250-300 yards....i do love that S&B Summit as the optics are just top notch and I think it helps a good bit...

Now on bigger animals like elk I have had no problems with a good 4X clear to 500, as far as I have killed them...and ditto to 500 yards on large deer,but i think the 6X just works better for me now.

The other thing I am noticing now (I didn't before) is that I really need to refocus the scope, going from wearing "no eyeglasses",to wearing glasses which are prescription.Some scopes that looks like dog doodoo with my galsses on, are just great when I take them off....it seems to be a focusing issue.

I do love the high end glass as I think it resolves better for me as I age. I have noticed a distinct improvement in Leupold glass now as compared to years back, but the old M8 Leupolds are so rugged and reliable that I am leary as hell about yanking them off my rifles.They stay in zero for years on end.

I think the issue fr me is not the scope, but my aging eyeballs. grin
Does a 6x leupold have enough eye relief for a medium or large bore rifle?
Posted By: toad Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/13/11
i have one on a .375 Ultra and haven't been hit with it.
idahoguy,

Yes.
BobinNH,
Just sneak in closer and those 4 and 6 powers will all be ok!
Phil, John, and anyone elsel...

Would you care to comment about using a fixed 6x on a 375 H&H? I'm got a Remington 798 Safari at home. With a Leupold 6x42 being mailed to me. How would that match up?

My CZ550 Lux came with a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x mounted and I haven't changed to a fixed power. That 9.3x62mm is called 80% of the power of the 375.

idahoguy101
I guess I qualify as "anyone else" so here's my two cents worth:

I had a older Leupold M8-6x36mm on a custom 350 Rem Mag that weighed ~6.5 lbs total with the scope. The actual eye relief on that particular scope measures just over 4 inches (using a Maglight flashlight and ruler). I never had a problem with not enough eye relief (defined as scope touches to the brow), even with my full power loads. By full power I mean 250s at 2525 fps, and 225s at 2700 fps with both loads chronographed < 12" from the muzzle. That 6x Leupy survived just fine on that hard kicking, black timber elk rifle for all the years (maybe 8-10) I owned that particular 350. It also got used on another 350 Rem Mag and a 35 Whelen with no issues.

FWIW, I own several Leupold 6x36 and 6x42 scopes, and none of them have given any problems. Their actual measured eye relief is all around 4 inches, and they're plenty bright enough to use well before/past legal shooting time here in Montana.

I can't imagine the 6x42 not working fine on a 375 H&H. Yeah, 375s have more ft-lbs of recoil than the 350 RM/35 Whelens but the rifles they're chambered in are usually weigh 9+ lbs, so it's probably a wash.
Posted By: 458Win Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/14/11
I have had one on one of my 30-06's for many years and really like it, so have been toying with the idea of sticking one on a 375. guess the only way to try is to do it.
I like 6x scopes. They seem right on a hunting rifle. I can use them with both eyes open so peripheral vision isn't an issue.

Now if I was an African PH or an Alaskan Guide in close cover... then an accurate sturdy open sight would be better.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
BobinNH,
Just sneak in closer and those 4 and 6 powers will all be ok!

bigwhoop: I generally do just that when I can!My last mule deer was shot at 80 yards or so....but last years whitetail had to be taken at over 300 yards or not at all.The four biggest mule deer bucks I have seen the last few years have been encountered at 30 feet,50 yards,340,and 80.It is easy to kill them with a 4X or 6X at those distances.

I can see why whitetail hunters from some parts of the country, like the south,who sit big fields and cutovers, need bigger scopes, nicer optics, for those deer.....the damn things simply are not "big"...and rutting bucks mostly provide those "take it or leave it" opportunities in bad light.

I have never seen a 4X or 6X seriously challenged in any western hunting I have done,but then I am not a real "long range" hunter either.I like a little mor power than a 4X these days, but not a lot more. smile
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/14/11

SOunds like you have given up on your S&B
Posted By: BobinNH Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by jwp475

SOunds like you have given up on your S&B

Of course not! I have more than one rifle...that is a scope that stays.It has been just great.i am seriously considering a 4X Schmidt.
378Canuck,

Hitting game is no problem-but you have to shoot legal game so you have to be able to count horns here in Canada before you pull the trigger. If it has 3 points (3x3)it may be legal but the points have to be a certain length before qualifying. Trophy are 6 point, so if your not able to count them, you can't shoot. I know they are easier to count when the animal is dead and right in front of you on the ground, but fish cops frown on this method of counting horns.
Posted By: Hizzie Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/14/11
Fixed power scope were used successfully by our military snipers until very recently. A good shot doesn't need as much power as most folks think. I have made first round hits on game out past 500 yards with "only" 2 1/2 X scopes. Plus 2 1/2 Leupold compacts are incredibly tough, this one has spent twenty -eight years on my 458 with absolutely no babying and still going strong

!

[Linked Image]

Phil,

I was thinking of doing it your way with optics on my 458WM Mark X. What height rings are you using? I was gonna go Warne's for the bases and uses QD rings. Also which reticle, Heavy Duplex or Wide Duplex?

Thanks,

Hizzie
378Canuck,

You still haven't answered what magnification level you think is necessary. I use fixed-power scopes from 2.5x to 10x--and believe me, 6x, 8x, or 10x isn't the handicap most people believe, even at short range. I've shot running big game as close as 10 yards with a 6x, and I've seen a number of animals killed at 50 yards and under with 8x and 10x scopes.

Are you using variables over 10x?
Posted By: 458Win Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/14/11
I often have to use my rifles rather quickly and I like the scopes mounted low. ( the comb need to be lower as well) That is one reason I like the old standard Weaver rings as they are the lowest when coupled with Leupold steel bases.
Another advantage of the Leupold compact scopes for that purpose is that they have a smaller eyepiece diameter so the bolt will clear when they are mounted low.
378Canuck,

You still haven't answered what magnification level you think is necessary. I use fixed-power scopes from 2.5x to 10x--and believe me, 6x, 8x, or 10x isn't the handicap most people believe, even at short range. I've shot running big game as close as 10 yards with a 6x, and I've seen a number of animals killed at 50 yards and under with 8x and 10x scopes.

Are you using variables over 10x?

My favourite scope is the 3.5 X 15-56mm it handles all hunting situation from long prairie shots to close in low light condition when hunting black bear. The only handicap is the weight but on heavy hitters some extra weight on top seems to hold the muzzle down, I always hunt on 3.5 and never leave on high power this is must, lost a black bear shot many years ago over that. Have muzzle brakes on my larger rifles but remove them when I hunt. POI doesn't change as some would suggest, I've spent many hours shooting at targets with brake on and off. I seldom find myself cranking up past 10x unless I,m trying to count horns. I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them.
Posted By: olblue Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/15/11
378Canuck wrote
"I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them."

Sure hope I'm never in the same area with you, The reasons are obvious. --- Mel
Posted By: Hizzie Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/15/11
I often have to use my rifles rather quickly and I like the scopes mounted low. ( the comb need to be lower as well) That is one reason I like the old standard Weaver rings as they are the lowest when coupled with Leupold steel bases.
Another advantage of the Leupold compact scopes for that purpose is that they have a smaller eyepiece diameter so the bolt will clear when they are mounted low.

Thanks Phil.

BTW - How exactly did you maount that piece of picatinny rail to your rifle?

I just received my second Leupold 1.5-5 off the brown truck today, got it remounted on the 505, the first one broke the cams? in the scope.

The one that came in today had a new erector assembly installed, hope it holds.

Gunner
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11

Good luck

Good luck

jwp475, any recommendation's?

Gunner
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11

I like the S&B 1 1/4X4 S^B or the 1.5X6

I like the S&B 1 1/4X4 S^B or the 1.5X6

Thanks jwp, I'll check 'em out, if this one starts acting goofy.

Gunner
Posted By: 458Win Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11
Originally Posted by Hizzie

Thanks Phil.

I simply drilled a hole in the forend and used epoxy to glue in a six inch section of picitinny or Weaver rail. I placed a spacer under the barrel to hold it where I wanted it and taped the rail to it until the epoxy dried

[Linked Image]
378Canuck,

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Royce Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11
I like Phil's rifles-They were hired to work
Posted By: AKHuck Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11
X2 for the posilock Burris Signature Safari. Heavy but tough, inside and out. I believe that the only stouter scope out there is iron sights! I don't believe that they're made anymore. If I see another, I'm buying it.
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them.

378Canuck
a) I'm super glad Canada is a very large country.

b) You wear your binos on your belt? Maybe that was why you kept losing them. Perhaps you should try again and use a bino harness?

c) You mention earlier that "counting horns" is not a good idea after you've shot it (yes, I understand Canada's limits far too well) as the CO's frown on that behavior... what do you think the CO thinks of you pointing your rifle at an unidentified target, perhaps a human being? I know what I think...
Posted By: pointer Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11

Thanks Phil.

I simply drilled a hole in the forend and used epoxy to glue in a six inch section of picitinny or Weaver rail. I placed a spacer under the barrel to hold it where I wanted it and taped the rail to it until the epoxy dried

[Linked Image]
Mr. Shoemaker, you own some awefully ugly guns, I like them VERY much! Congrats. I may have to 'borrow' the picatinny rail/flashlight idea. Very neat and practical.
Originally Posted by pointer

Thanks Phil.

[Linked Image]
Mr. Shoemaker, you own some awefully ugly guns, I like them VERY much! Congrats. I may have to 'borrow' the picatinny rail/flashlight idea. Very neat and practical.

I'm bettin' those rifles have saved a train load of human hide grin I'm just wondering if Phil is left handed, noticed the little fixed Leupold is turned 90 degrees counter on the stainless rifle.

Gunner
Originally Posted by UncleJesse
I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them.

378Canuck
a) I'm super glad Canada is a very large country.

b) You wear your binos on your belt? Maybe that was why you kept losing them. Perhaps you should try again and use a bino harness?

c) You mention earlier that "counting horns" is not a good idea after you've shot it (yes, I understand Canada's limits far too well) as the CO's frown on that behavior... what do you think the CO thinks of you pointing your rifle at an unidentified target, perhaps a human being? I know what I think...

If you can't tell the difference between a 4 legged creature versus one that walks on 2 legs you shouldn't be hunting. Hunters wear orange and even men working in the forest wear some thing bright. I never scope people and if it's so far away that you can't tell the difference- no sense lookin at it.

If you can't tell the difference between a 4 legged creature versus one that walks on 2 legs you shouldn't be hunting. Hunters wear orange and even men working in the forest wear some thing bright. I never scope people and if it's so far away that you can't tell the difference- no sense lookin at it.

We don't have to wear orange in BC. Can't recall the last time I saw anyone wearing orange in the woods here.
Well UncleJesse,

On the whole Canadians I've known are brighter than your average American. But the USA does attract smart people to immigrate here for better opportuniy.

But that's a different discussion...
Posted By: rogn Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/16/11
Back to the original topic, got the Leupy and went to work groups right back on the money. Then we got funny again.Dug around in the closet and got the smallest lightest known value scope, an old old Bushnell 2.5. Light and rugged. A little work with it convinced me to further check. Most of the time I shoot near free-recoil, but not completely. Sometimes we choke a bit. THe tupper ware stocks can cure a but further from new and warp a bit. Choking pulled the stock into contact with the barrel and the on aagin off again pressure made funny things happen. Some stock cleanup and a shim behind the recoil lug and all is well with the world. Makes me think a laminate might be better. A couple of other notes. The Meopta seems to be OK but its too durn heavy for the amount of recoil, needs better rings than the ones I used- Brownell somethings, They were actuallly trying to climb over the warne bases/mounts. You want a 21 oz scope you need some serious rings. The little 10 oz leupy in a good simple set of steel rings seems to be just fine. Lessons learned!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: scopes and recoil-Leupold? - 12/21/11

I have also had good luck with Bushnell scopes. Let us know how it all works out. Light weight and how well a scope holds up is not one and the same contrary to popular belief
© 24hourcampfire