Home
Who has one? Pros and cons? Tips or suggestions. Range reports. Any other thoughts or comments?
my dad wants one bad! Thinking of getting him one for fathers day.
I've always wanted one of those too for some unexplainable reason. Just think they're kinda cool.
I have had one for a few years now. The thing shoots good, but forget the heavier loads most guys seem to think they need to improve on the old 45-70 round. With its dropped stock and steel butt plate, it kicks like a LARGE ANGRY mule. It is a very accurate rifle, balances well. My favourite load is a 405 homecast bullet at 1250 -1300 fps, and it is minute of empty shotshell accurate. Mild recoil, and boringly accurate.

Have also developed a load with 350 gr Hornady FP and H4198 that shoots really nicely. RL-7 also a good powder. With Winchester factory 300 HP' and iron sights, it was shooting cloverleafs at 50 yards. Found the Williams rear sight didn't have much elevation left at 100 yards.

Over all, a very worthwhile rifle that is accurate and has a pretty fair trigger for a cheaper rifle. I really like mine.
Posted By: TC1 Re: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic 45-70 - 05/04/12
I bought one a few years back and loaded homemade 405gn soft lead bullets over a stout load of Elephant FFg black powder. Man, talk about fun! It was reasonbly accurate using an old mauser ladder sight fitted to the barrel and was dirt cheap to shoot. Squeeze the trigger and grey smoke goes everywhere. I really enjoyed mine but just stopped playing with it after awhile and sold it.

IMO, they are a lot of fun.

Terry
I had one. Mine would put all it's shots on an 8 1/2 x 11 target at 300 yds with the peep sight supplied, Hornady factory ammo. I eventually sold it and got a Marlin XLR in 45-70. The Marlin is a keeper. The 1871 was a geat rifle also.

All interesting comments. Thanks! I'm considering purchasing one so keep those comments coming. Larry
I have a plain jane H&R handi rfle in that chamber. Lots of fun with black powder and 500 gr lead. 70gr by volume powder FFG went through a moose from left hip through and out right shoulder with a trip through 1' of spine, No bullet recovery. The handi rifle is shorter so I suspect handier in the thick stuff.

I have no experience with the big brother's Buffler but he says he will rectify that.

Randy
@medicman: I would think you are right. Wonder what the recoil difference is between the short and long barrels? I have looked at both side by side and happen to like the looks of the buffalo classic. My local dealer has a super nice used one that is, realistically, 95%. He's asking half the price of new. How can I go wrong?
You cannot!
Originally Posted by levergunfan
@medicman: I would think you are right. Wonder what the recoil difference is between the short and long barrels? I have looked at both side by side and happen to like the looks of the buffalo classic. My local dealer has a super nice used one that is, realistically, 95%. He's asking half the price of new. How can I go wrong?

Snap it up, man. You'll not be disappointed.
Randy,

We need to schedule another range day this summer sometime. Think you'll like the Buffler Classic with my Trail Boss loads.

Had one of the original "Shakiri" rifles with the plastic trigger guard and barrel band, folding brass ramrod, and birch stock. Ugliest rifle I ever saw but it would shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards with my cast 500 grain, plain base bullets launched with black powder. Shooting across our lake at a 4'x8' plywood backer with a man-sized target I learned why the buffalo hunters used the .45-70. When I did my job, and cleaned the bore after five or six rounds, it would keep every round on a man target - and the lake is just shy of 1,200 yards long.

Terry
I had one I scoped it for deer hunting killed several deer all one shot kills very accurate. sold it when I quit hunting.I used smokeless powder.
I have one there great rifles with the peep sights on both ends .I have a screw up shoulder and this thing is better ther some mag an 30-06s ive shot. Also took a few deer drop them where they stood one shot one kill 100 yards both range finder same place . I shoot them horn revulation ,remingtons an winchester silver box all group great .Great father day gift
I like Trail Boss loads in this as well.

It's more accurate than I am.

Lot's of fun.
Some more good comments. I'm mostly convinced! I gather Trail Boss is a good propellent choice for loading? Last 45-70 loads I worked up were with 400 grain Speers over VV-N133.
The 400gr Speers are a heckuva good bullet, and accurate too if they will fit in your chamber. They didn't work in my Winchester 1886 ELR (Miroku). It had no throat. Had to shoot Remmy 405s crimped on the sub-caliber ogive. No bullet with any amount of full-caliber diameter outside the case would chamber. Very disappointing.

I'd buy it. They are very accurate. I like Unique or IMR-4198 under a cast lead 405. If you want factory ammo, I'd suggest the Remington 405.
Appreciating all the comments. Thinking I will check into it again today.
I owned one for about a year. They are really neat rifles. The 26 inch barrel can really get that velocity up. Shot pretty accurately. There is also a hole under the metal butt plate that will fit a 1 lb mercury recoil reducer. The site radius really allows long range shooting. There is aftermarket sites also.

The bad:
some of them, the action will pop open by it's self with marlin level loads(after the round has fired)

it ejects the cases with authority. so don't have your face behind the barrel when you open the action.

Really neat rifles though. I miss mine.
Mine has a 32" barrel. But they might also come with a 26".
Well, I did it. Went to ACE for one more look and the darn thing followed me home. Go figure. Maybe we need to start a "buffler forum" on the campfire! Thanks again to all of you for your comments and input. Feel free to keep those cards and letters coming! Enjoy the season and shoot straight, Larry
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Mine has a 32" barrel. But they might also come with a 26".

no you were right. it was 32" long That was one of my favorite things about the rifle. it always got attention at the range too because people had to come see what was being shot out of that long ass gun with the big hole in the bore
Same thing with my old trapdoor when I'd take it out. Barrel was 32.5" and it was quite the conversation piece.
Posted By: TC1 Re: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic 45-70 - 05/09/12
Carbine version
[Linked Image]

Terry
My sshorty has no checkering.
But yours is a Handi-rifle, not a buffalo classic, right Randy? The stock is quite different for one thing.

[Linked Image]
I ordered my dad one today. He is gonna be excited
Yes Keith it is but TCI's rifle is shorty. I was unaware the Buffalo came short.
Looks like the butt stock is different as well, and the barrel looks heavier profile with a different front sight.
I do not find the 26" on either the NEF or H&R sites? The thing looks like a cross between a Handi-Rifle and the Buffalo Classic but with a bull barrel! Pretty cool, actually. Has that model been discontinued?
Just got back from the rock pit. Shot the Buffler for the first time off a range bag on the truck hood. Three of Hornady's 325 grain FTX rounds. Guess I'm a wuss or need to wear more than a tee shirt. Arm hurts...LOL Only managed about a 3" group but know I can improve on that. My trapdoor did not kick near as hard but it weighed 50% more too.
I also purchased one for black powder loads. Should be fun with a 405gr hunk of lead and black powder. Have always wanted to take a deer with a black powder cartridge.

Ken
© 24hourcampfire