Home
Posted By: Fotis The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/08/12
She is ready and so am I.

Unfortunately the winds won't let me play.

Anyway as promised pictures with the 2 Zeiss's. One is the 30mm 1.5x6x42mm and one is the Conquest 4.5x14x44mm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Beautiful rifle, Fotis.

Bet she shoots as good as she looks.

DF
Whats the barrel length on that beast? Very nice rifle.What powder are you going to load her with? What bullets?
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/08/12
Barrel length is 26"

Bullets will be 300 TSX at 3150 fps H4350 and or RL19

350 TTSX at close to 3k with VV560 and or rl22

330 GS custom at 3100 with RL19 H4350
Fotis I had a Zeiss 1.5X6 on my Norma Magnum for years and for dealing with Brown Bears in near darkness it was as close to a nightvision scope as you could get! Excellent choice. Jim
Posted By: EricM Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/09/12
Beautiful rifle! I'm looking forward to the range report!

Eric
Very nice rifle fotis....Let us know how she is on the shoulder...
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/10/12
The shoulder is never a problem with the 416 bud. I just go nuts about the wind that will not let me shoot it
Posted By: EricM Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/10/12
smirk laugh
I will be looking forward to the range reports also! My plain vanilla 416 Rigby pushes the 350gr TTSX's to 2700 fps, and is not hard to shoot either, even from a hunting weight rifle with no muzzle brake.
Very nice fotis. Looks like alot of fun.
Posted By: setch Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by Fotis
Barrel length is 26"

Remind us Fotis, what contour & brand of barrel do you have on it??
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/14/12
The rifle in new in box totally stock. It was made in 1992 in Japan. The barrel is the standard Japanese #4 contour.
Damn Fotis, a 416 WBY Classic-Mark? Didnt know they ever tooled together such a critter, The Classic-Marks are my fav WBY's, I have a CM-II in 300.

Gunner
And BTW, you may already know this, but a Bud of mine runs the newer 350 gr TTSX's out close to 3000 fps from his w/ a big charge of RL-22, a helluva all WW game firebreather.

Gunner
Gunner,

Sounds like that hi vel load may jar the shooter worse than a slower vel big gun like your .505 Gibbs. Less push back for sure, but maybe more "jolt"?

DF
Fotis, keep me up to date on this 416 as you have time. I'm considering adding another 416 to my pile myself and am interested in the Barnes 350gr TTSX loads in particular. I'm thinking they'll give my 378's some competition.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner,

Sounds like that hi vel load may jar the shooter worse than a slower vel big gun like your .505 Gibbs. Less push back for sure, but maybe more "jolt"?

DF

DF, I have fired my Buds 416 WBY so loaded, it gives a very fast and violent recoil, his is in a big Micky stock, no flex like wood.

The Pendleton brake on the factory WBY's help a little, but as far as sheer bone jarring recoil that old 505 pushing the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 fps with 145 grs H-4831 SC is a dirty rotten mule booting dog in it's own class.

My new loads feature the same bullets, both soft and solid at a more sedate and civil 2200 fps. LOL

Gunner
I've shot a Merkel .500 NE double rifle, pushing 570 gr. bullets around 2,150 fps. It was a big push, but didn't rattle my teeth like I was expecting. That gun weighs around 10-11 #'s. I was able to recover quickly, putting two fast shots on a 25 yd. target about 2" apart. I was pretty well impressed with the gun and how I could handle it.

The Gibbs, I'd probably elect to just watch you shoot that one... shocked

DF
Yessir, weighted Merkels to around 10.5-11 lbs are quite manageable in 500 Nitro, the factory guns at 9.25 lbs can be a little "Bucky".

Gunner
Originally Posted by gunner500
Gunner,

DF

DF, I have fired my Buds 416 WBY so loaded, it gives a very fast and violent recoil, his is in a big Micky stock, no flex like wood.

The Pendleton brake on the factory WBY's help a little, but as far as sheer bone jarring recoil that old 505 pushing the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 fps with 145 grs H-4831 SC is a dirty rotten mule booting dog in it's own class.

My new loads feature the same bullets, both soft and solid at a more sedate and civil 2200 fps. LOL

Gunner

Small point, but the "Pendleton Dekicker" was never on the .416 Wby's. That company went out of business before it was developed for release to the public. The only Wby's that have the Pendleton are the .460's from Japan. Don't recall ever seeing one on the German version but they could be there as well.
John
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/22/12
Correct and it sucked shooting the 460 with that "brake"
shocked, I'll have to call my old Bud and ask him if he had his barrel done like a Pendleton, I would have sworn it was factory, and my Jap 460 indeed had one, and IIRC they looked identical.

Gunner
And BTW, you may already know this, but a Bud of mine runs the newer 350 gr TTSX's out close to 3000 fps from his w/ a big charge of RL-22, a helluva all WW game firebreather.

Gunner

All I hear when I read that is, OUCH!!!, my buddy has a damned sore shoulder everytime he pulls the trigger.... whistle wink
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Gunner

All I hear when I read that is, OUCH!!!, my buddy has a damned sore shoulder everytime he pulls the trigger.... whistle wink

LOL BSA, I called old Bud from the deer stand this afternoon, his 416 WBY is Magna-ported, I was wrong, thought it had a factory brake.

Gunner
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/23/12
Here it is and it sux!

Description: brake
Attached picture wm_1873429.jpg
Attached picture wm_1873429.jpg
Fotis, it looks to be professionally done. Why does it suck? Too loud?
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/23/12
Does not work well. Very very inefficient brake.

Hurts like hell!
That does suck, sorry to hear that...I feel for you cry
The way the holes are situated, if you cut it off and install another brake you're going to lose a good bit of barrel length.

DF
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That does suck, sorry to hear that...I feel for you cry

It is OK I sold it grin
Damn Fotis, a 416 WBY Classic-Mark? Didnt know they ever tooled together such a critter, The Classic-Marks are my fav WBY's, I have a CM-II in 300.
Gunner

They made the ClassicMark in .378 and .460 too...in addition to the .416; the ClassicMark's are my favorite Mark V's also.
[Linked Image]
To me...the .378, which is unbraked, kicks worse than the .416 and the .460 (they have brakes on them).
Damn Antlers, yer loaded fer bear Bro. smile, very nice.

Gunner

Thanks. I enjoy owning and shooting them.
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 11/26/12
Antlers I have had the Classicmark I and now the classicmark II both in 416

I also have another MK V 416 Mag that will be for sale soon.

Gunner

Yeah, Gunner, Antlers is almost as messed up as you... laugh

He just "needs" a .505 Gibbs... shocked

Guess that means you're a click or two ahead of him... cool

Maybe there's hope for the boy, after all... grin

He seems to be headed in the "right" direction...
I think the only real difference between the ClassicMark I and ClassicMark II is one had a cheekpiece and the other didn't. They have nice Claro Walnut on em' too. They are great rifles. The .416 WBY is a great round...as are all of the WBY rounds. I've only shot WBY factory loads and they are doggone hot!
Ha! If I can't get it done with one of those big Weatherby's, then it don't need doin' by me!

Gunner

Yeah, Gunner, Antlers is almost as messed up as you... laugh

He just "needs" a .505 Gibbs... shocked

Guess that means you're a click or two ahead of him... cool

Maybe there's hope for the boy, after all... grin

He seems to be headed in the "right" direction...

LOL DF, I should have said he was loaded for Bear, Buff, and Ele. wink

Gunner
Originally Posted by antlers
Ha! If I can't get it done with one of those big Weatherby's, then it don't need doin' by me!

I agree. I have a pair of 9.3x62's a .375 H&H M-70 SS Classic and a .404J on a SS M-70 action. If I can't get it done with one of those, I'd better stay home... smile

DF

Edited to add, one thing about those Mk V actions, they are about the fastest and slickest I've seen, shucking empties and cycling rounds. I never was much of a Wby fan, but a couple of years ago, obtained a Mk V and like it a lot. It's growing on me.
The Pendelton Dekicker was optional on all Weatherby rifles in the distant past. No, it wasn't very efficient but it worked, was not as loud as modern brakes and looks better to most owners.
Still waiting to hear how the 350gr TTSX loads are working out. Getting ready to try them myself and if they work like I suspect they will, I'll be shopping for a new DGR.
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 12/08/12
Range report here.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21370

Unfortunately the 350 TTSX was tried with RL22 and 123 grains were way too compressed to give consistent COAL. Either way it still did 2910 fps and 1" at 100 yards.

I will try rL17 soon less compression.
[quote=antlers]Ha! If I can't get it done with one of those big Weatherby's, then it don't need doin' by me!

I agree. I have a pair of 9.3x62's a .375 H&H M-70 SS Classic and a .404J on a SS M-70 action. If I can't get it done with one of those, I'd better stay home... smile

DF

My big guns end with a 9.3x62 and a 416 Rem Mag. So I am good for game up to Bambi? laugh

Range report here.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21370

Unfortunately the 350 TTSX was tried with RL22 and 123 grains were way too compressed to give consistent COAL. Either way it still did 2910 fps and 1" at 100 yards.

I will try rL17 soon less compression.

Thanks for the update Fotis. With some luck I will get to do some loading with the 350 TTSX in the spring myself.

Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 12/10/12
I am waiting word from Anthony and Gina (Gerard Schults' daughter and son in law) when they will producing the GS 330 HV my bullet of choice for the 416 Bee. They have set up shop in Indiana now so no more crazy air parcel prices.

They should be in full production pretty soon.

I used that bullet on this antelope at 452 yards!.

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html
I am waiting word from Anthony and Gina (Gerard Schults' daughter and son in law) when they will producing the GS 330 HV my bullet of choice for the 416 Bee. They have set up shop in Indiana now so no more crazy air parcel prices.

They should be in full production pretty soon.

I used that bullet on this antelope at 452 yards!.

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

Thanks Foris. I always wanted to try those GS bullets but never went thru the hassle of ordering them. That may change soon. My longest antelope with the 416 Weatherby is a bit over 360 yards. That was a few years ago using 410 grain Woodleighs...perhaps next season I'll give the GS bullet a chance :-)

Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 12/24/12
I have been begging Nosler for a High BC accubond and or E-tip but so far no dice.

Then again not too many nuts out there like us shooting game long range with the 416 Bee...

Cutting edge is putting a ballistic tip on their bullets in March though, Serious high BC stuff.
Fotis,

I too would like to see a high BC 416 Accubond,
I have just developed the .416 PRO, it's based off the 338 Norma Mag case necked up to .416" and shoulder bumped up to 35 degrees and a .342" neck length, I've also designed the lead and throat to seat the 350 TTSX out to an oal of 3.530" crimping in the first cannelure resulting in the bullet shank not entering the case deeper than the neck/shoulder junction, maximizing case capacity, (108 grns. water) placing it between the 416 REM and 416 WBY, ballistically equal to a 416 RUM wildcat and the 416 Dakota

It would definitely improve the round with a 400 gr. Accubond bullet.
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 416 is Range ready---PIX - 12/25/12
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_V15

780 bc
© 24hourcampfire