Home
Posted By: BadboyMelvin .458 project is finished! - 10/31/14
Well, it's finally finished... and it looks and handles great!

I bought my CZ550 in .458WM a while ago and I thought it was nearly perfect but not quite. So I took it to Bob at Kudu Services and after he worked his magic on it is now perfect!

To make it perfect he did the following;

Cut back the barrel to 21"
Shorten the fore-end and fit buffalo horn tip
Fitted cross-bolts

To finish making it perfect I did the following;

Smoothed and polished feeding ramp
Fitted 2.5X Pentax long eye-relief scope in rock solid Warne mounts
Fitted sling swivel to barrel

And that's it! All I need to do now is work up some loads with the Raptor 420gr HP and solids to 2250-2300fps and I'm set for anything from deer to elephants.
I am one happy hunter at the moment smile [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: .458 project is finished! - 10/31/14
Very nice ideed! Now go find yourself a mob of buffalo "outback"!
Will do!!!
Posted By: mart Re: .458 project is finished! - 10/31/14
Good looking rifle.
Very nice
Very nice rig you've got there.
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Very nice rig you've got there.

My sentiments, exactly. Ready to go after whatever, whenever, and wherever! You have every right to be proud of it.
Thanks very much guys. I must say I am proud!
I am one happy hunter at the moment... but that may all change tomorrow when I'm on the bench with it sighting it in!! The barrels a bit shorter now and she's a bit lighter too... so I'll keep you posted!
Am I the only one noticing the glaring fault(?) - the bolt's on the wrong side.

Looks absolutely great. I'd be proud too. Rifles like yours are the only thing that makes me wish I was right handed.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Am I the only one noticing the glaring fault(?) - the bolt's on the wrong side.

Looks absolutely great. I'd be proud too. Rifles like yours are the only thing that makes me wish I was right handed.

Well I asked what it what cost to swap the bolt over and it just cost to much! Lol!!
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
Thanks very much guys. I must say I am proud!
I am one happy hunter at the moment... but that may all change tomorrow when I'm on the bench with it sighting it in!! The barrels a bit shorter now and she's a bit lighter too... so I'll keep you posted!

If allowed to do so, place a small shooting shelf on one of the shooting range roof support 4x's and shoot using that as your rest while standing up. With the bigs, we do not care about getting a 1/2 inch group, coffee cup sized groups are just fine and one is not getting his body beat upon nearly so bad as when shooting from a typical benchrest position. Next best option is to pile up enough sandbags or whatever to shoot while sitting down with your posture (back) straight and not leaning over and into the rifle. The rifle will win that battle, every time.

Lead sleds make shooting the bigs a breeze, but can occasionally break a stock or damage the bedding job since now 100% of the recoil is being absorbed by the wood and bedding. I have used them some, but my 416 has a large Diameter Stainless Steel bolt steelbedded into the grip (in addition to the two recoil bolts and a bedded in barrel lug) and wears better than average Turkish Walnut.

Good luck, and please do report back!
You can also place a sack of #9 lead shot between you and the butt. Works very well.
My hunting pard uses a modified music stand. Sets it on top of the bench and stands to shoot his 458Win, 416Rigby, and 375 H&H. Works great.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
My hunting pard uses a modified music stand. Sets it on top of the bench and stands to shoot his 458Win, 416Rigby, and 375 H&H. Works great.

That is a TERRIFIC Idea! I have been posting here and sharing ideas for almost ten years, and I just gained an awesome tip.

None of us knows it all, thank you for that one.
That is a great idea!
Or just buck up and shoot the dang thing. I put about 18 rounds through the Lott from the Bench the other day and after the first round, rather enjoyed it grin
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Or just buck up and shoot the dang thing. I put about 18 rounds through the Lott from the Bench the other day and after the first round, rather enjoyed it grin

Good answer! Lol!
Posted By: bebo Re: .458 project is finished! - 11/23/14
Beautiful, very good looking, indeed!
But .. when you say "from deer to elephants.", I'm afraid for deers ...
© 24hourcampfire