Home
Posted By: jmo1754 375 Bullets - 10/06/16
So trying to find a bullet to shoot both whitetails and moose with. yes I get it that hunting whitetails with a 375 is bit much but I don't believe in over kill.

Posted By: BCSteve Re: 375 Bullets - 10/06/16
Have a look, not a single bad bullet in the bunch.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10853251/1
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 375 Bullets - 10/06/16
I load my 375 H&H up with 260 gr. partitions. These are the second's from SPS, but they shoot damn well in my rifle...
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: 375 Bullets - 10/07/16
Originally Posted by jmo1754
So trying to find a bullet to shoot both whitetails and moose with. yes I get it that hunting whitetails with a 375 is bit much but I don't believe in over kill.

I do not hunt whitetails, but do use 375's on moose with Barnes 270 grain TSX. However, I certainly would have no hesitation shooting whitetails or most anything else with the 270 grain TSX.

Being very satisfied with TSX performance, I would also look at the 250 TTSX.
Posted By: memtb Re: 375 Bullets - 10/07/16
jmo1754, While I am an unapologetic fan of Barnes bullets, at H&H velocities, you could do far worse the the Hornady 270 SP. I used them for years in my H&H. They're relatively inexpensive, very accurate (at least in my rifle), and I never had a core/jacket seperation(that I'm aware of). I've used them on Pronghorn,Mule Deer,Black Bear, Elk, and Shiras Moose. Oh, they've worked well on quite a few Jack Rabbits,Prarrie Dogs,Coyotes, and probably some other stuff I can't remember! memtb
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 375 Bullets - 10/07/16
Originally Posted by memtb
jmo1754, While I am an unapologetic fan of Barnes bullets, at H&H velocities, you could do far worse the the Hornady 270 SP. I used them for years in my H&H. They're relatively inexpensive, very accurate (at least in my rifle), and I never had a core/jacket seperation(that I'm aware of). I've used them on Pronghorn,Mule Deer,Black Bear, Elk, and Shiras Moose. Oh, they've worked well on quite a few Jack Rabbits,Prarrie Dogs,Coyotes, and probably some other stuff I can't remember! memtb

Sounds like the perfect bullet to me. Good thing I have a couple boxes of them. Haven't tried them yet though..
Posted By: memtb Re: 375 Bullets - 10/08/16
bsa, I initially tried them in my .375 AI, but found(IMO) that penetration suffered in close range shots. I think that with the increased velocity they expanded quickly and violently, losing approx. 35% of their original weight. They had picture perfect mushrooms,and did not have core/cup seperation (presumably due to the interlock). But, with early expansion and weight loss,they lost sectional density and then penetration suffered. Great on the "perfect" broadside shot, but I don't always get those! I wouldn't hesitate to continue using them in my H&H, but in my AI it's Barnes only. memtb
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 375 Bullets - 10/08/16
Good info there. I'll get around to trying those. I've always been a big interlock fan. I'm sure they will shoot pretty accurately too.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 375 Bullets - 10/08/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I load my 375 H&H up with 260 gr. partitions. These are the second's from SPS, but they shoot damn well in my rifle...

This^ (or even the 300). Either will expand just fine, even on deer, and neither will explode in a 'worst-case-scenario' if you should happen to hit one of the big bones in a moose shoulder. The Interlocks can work well, and I have seen "eat-up-to-the-hole" instances with them on caribou. But I have also seen them get pretty shredded and fail to fully penetrate when used on seals (which would have been less that 200 pounds.)
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 375 Bullets - 10/08/16
IIRC, 300 NPT's in the .375 H&H had a less than stellar reputation on DG. Don't remember the details. Maybe someone with a better memory could comment.

Maybe on lighter critters they'd be OK.

DF
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 375 Bullets - 10/08/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
IIRC, 300 NPT's in the .375 H&H had a less than stellar reputation on DG. Don't remember the details. Maybe someone with a better memory could comment.

Maybe on lighter critters they'd be OK.

DF

They can be stopped by moose...

[Linked Image]

And even if they're only twice as good as a cup and core, that still doesn't make an Interlock a better choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything in Alaska.

Posted By: fremont Re: 375 Bullets - 10/13/16
I'm a fan of the Speer 235 and also just got some Barnes 235 TSX's that I'm anxious to try. Given the criterion of one bullet for both, I'd probably lean towards the Barnes for the two I'd mentioned.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 375 Bullets - 10/17/16
Pick a bullet for moose and don't worry about deer any 375 bullet will work for deer. Or use the 235 grain bullets for deer and match it with any 250-270 grain bullet for moose. The 375 is usually easy to get different bullets to shoot to close to the same point of aim as it was designed to work in double rifles.

The only 375 bullet I was disappointed with was the 260 BT but Nosler wisely converted this to an Accubond.

Posted By: Bighorn Re: 375 Bullets - 10/17/16
For me, that bullet is the 250 gr. Barnes TTSX. Fast, flat shooting, and with typical Barnes penetration and expansion. If they shoot well in your rifle, you won't need anything else.

I have used this bullet on everything from the little Springbok thru Sable, Wildebeest, and Lion, and it works perfectly.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 375 Bullets - 10/17/16
250 gr. Bitterroot because I know it works,and i have a bunch of them.

If I did not I'd use what Bighorn suggested or a NF of the same weight.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 375 Bullets - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This^ (or even the 300). Either will expand just fine, even on deer, and neither will explode in a 'worst-case-scenario' if you should happen to hit one of the big bones in a moose shoulder. The Interlocks can work well, and I have seen "eat-up-to-the-hole" instances with them on caribou. But I have also seen them get pretty shredded and fail to fully penetrate when used on seals (which would have been less that 200 pounds.)

This is good info. If I ever need to shoot a seal, I'll know not to use the interlock... I'll bet a 200gr. partition in a 30-06 would work well enough on a seal though... Sorry, let's get back to the 375 stuff. Interesting indeed...
Posted By: sbrmike Re: 375 Bullets - 10/20/16
I used 260 grain Nosler Partitions loaded to 2710 fps in my 375 H&H in Africa on Impala (whitetail) and Kudu (moose). I wouldn't hesitate to use it again; 200 yard shot on Impala and 270 yards on a trotting Kudu. This shoots with the trajectory of a 30-06 for longer ranges.
© 24hourcampfire