Home
Posted By: ismith Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
Was surprised to find this old Mauser at a gunshow today and couldn't resist for the price. It's a London proofed .375 Rimless (9.5x57MS) with a 28 inch barrel.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7744/no-name-british-mauser#Post12187744
Posted By: kingston Re: Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
Very cool!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
Nice snag! I'll bet that it will be fun to shoot, but a bit cumbersome in the field. Any idea who made it, where all it has been?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
Wow! Very nice Mauser!
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by mudhen
Nice snag! I'll bet that it will be fun to shoot, but a bit cumbersome in the field. Any idea who made it, where all it has been?
Surprisingly she handles very nicely, like a shotgun. It was made in London and carried a bit and hardly fired. The bore is mint!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
"The bore is mint!"

Excellent!!!!!
Posted By: mart Re: Early British Mauser - 08/05/17
I have a WR Pape 256 Mannlicher with a 28 inch barrel. Surprisingly nimble and well balanced. It strikes me as odd that we think nothing of carrying a pump or auto shotgun with the standard 28 inch barrel in the field, even the grouse woods, but find a 28 inch rifle cumbersome. Many of the long barreled English rifles do handle like a shotgun. Good score.
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 08/07/17
Originally Posted by mart
I have a WR Pape 256 Mannlicher with a 28 inch barrel. Surprisingly nimble and well balanced. It strikes me as odd that we think nothing of carrying a pump or auto shotgun with the standard 28 inch barrel in the field, even the grouse woods, but find a 28 inch rifle cumbersome. Many of the long barreled English rifles do handle like a shotgun. Good score.

It does handle like a fine shotgun. Not sure how heavy she is but I'll be very surprised if it's over 7 1/2 lbs. She's quick to the shoulder and the fine brass bead finds the bottom of the V very fast. This is the perfect rifle for wing shooting elk in the dark timber!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Early British Mauser - 08/08/17
Very cool. That will be an enjoyable journey of discovery.
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Early British Mauser - 08/08/17
I like it, very cool rifle. Good Score!
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 08/17/17
Well I shot it today and the express sights are on. Going to have to take her hunting this fall. Recoil isn't half bad either.
Posted By: K22 Re: Early British Mauser - 08/17/17
Awesome!! That would be a dream rifle for me. Very nice purchase.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Early British Mauser - 08/17/17
Originally Posted by ismith
Well I shot it today and the express sights are on. Going to have to take her hunting this fall. Recoil isn't half bad either.

Excellent!!! Good luck afield!!!
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 08/17/17
She weights 7 lbs 11 oz. Curiosity got to me so i bought a kitchen scale. Most of my rifles are well over 8 lbs, my heaviest being my 250 Savage at 12 lbs and my 22 Hornet at 10 1/2 lbs.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Early British Mauser - 08/18/17
Well done, sir! Beautiful rifle.

Ed
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Early British Mauser - 09/15/17
Very nice. My head doesn't swivel in the vertical plane much so I adjusted the picture's attitude, hope you don't mind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Early British Mauser - 09/16/17
I missed this thread.

WOW!

That rates a definite Two-Cool. Classic!

cool cool
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Early British Mauser - 09/23/17
What a find! Congratulations.
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 10/21/17
I'll be packing her into the elk woods tomorrow!
Posted By: blairvt Re: Early British Mauser - 10/21/17
very nice. Trade you a paint job for it
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Early British Mauser - 10/21/17
Originally Posted by ismith
I'll be packing her into the elk woods tomorrow!

Good luck!!!!!
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Early British Mauser - 10/21/17
Exquisite! They don't come much better. Well done sir! Excellent cartridge as well!
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 10/22/17
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...346526/no-name-brit-draws-blood#comments
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Early British Mauser - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Very nice. My head doesn't swivel in the vertical plane much so I adjusted the picture's attitude, hope you don't mind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whoever built that has a nice eye.

I like it.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Early British Mauser - 10/22/17

And it would make a terrific open sighted lead bullet rifle...buckets of fun.
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 10/24/17
It's a great short range elk rifle for sure! When I noticed the two bulls 50 yards behind me I had the rifle leaning against the tree I was huddled behind. I grabbed it, flipped the safety off, threw it to my shoulder and didn't have to hunt for the brass bead as it was already in the V notch. I placed the bead behind the shoulder of the biggest bull. The first shot was right where I placed the bead, double lung and a fatal one, he turned and headed towards me and by the time he was at 40 yards he had two more 270 grain Woodleighs in his chest. Shortly after the third he flipped over backwards and was done.[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Early British Mauser - 10/24/17
Excellent!!!! Well done!!!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Early British Mauser - 10/26/17
Nice!
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Early British Mauser - 10/26/17
Nicely done and sounds like it pointed just like a proper fitting shotgun! Nice bull, btw.
Posted By: ismith Re: Early British Mauser - 10/28/17
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../12360370/270-gr-woodleighs#Post12360370[/img]
© 24hourcampfire