Home
Posted By: BigTex23 458 Socom - 12/01/18
I don’t know if anyone else has tried the 458 Socom on their AR but I’m loving mine. It’s a perfect match. 10 rounds of 45-70! Same ballistics. Same accuracy as my lever action. Less recoil
Posted By: kellory Re: 458 Socom - 12/01/18
I'm liking the Thumper concept. mine is the AR -15 .450 bushmaster. one shot kill on deer. fell over within20'
Posted By: shooter42 Re: 458 Socom - 12/01/18
had one a few years now. picked it over the .450 bushmaster as I already load the 45/70 so I have .458 diameter bullets. it is a fun gun to shoot and it kills as expected so far.
Posted By: crshelton Re: 458 Socom - 12/01/18
my son had one shot kills on hogs and nilgai with his.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: 458 Socom - 12/01/18
Originally Posted by BigTex23
I don’t know if anyone else has tried the 458 Socom on their AR but I’m loving mine. It’s a perfect match. 10 rounds of 45-70! Same ballistics. Same accuracy as my lever action. Less recoil

try the combined technology 300g silvertip rn's.
will kill anything past, present, or future on earth. accurate also
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 458 Socom - 12/02/18
I like my SOCOM. I am putting together a 10.5" pistol upper. It can wear the Silencerco Hybrid like my 16.5" carbine. 300 gr TTSX is pretty wicked. But 485 gr WLN cast can cut quite a path when shot subsonic. Rusty
Posted By: g5m Re: 458 Socom - 12/14/18
Thanks for the thread. I've considered the 458 Socom also.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 458 Socom - 12/15/18
Take the plunge. Not just a cool caliber to own, but to shoot it is more than a bit of a blast. I don't feel the recoil of a 12 gauge as some folks claim. Unless of course I use the 500 + grain bullets in a full load. And that won't take much powder. Keep close to the recommended loads and begin with the start loads. Important in an arm that is made up mostly of aluminum. Rusty
Posted By: deflave Re: 458 Socom - 12/15/18
Where are you guys buying these?

Tromix was the original correct?
Posted By: LJBass Re: 458 Socom - 12/15/18
I've got my barrel sitting here. Going Tromix on mine because you can get the upper and bolt in left hand. Then I'll be waiting on the suppressor form.
Posted By: deflave Re: 458 Socom - 12/15/18
What type of can are you guys using on these?

I assume they can't be ran with a standard pistol suppressor?
Posted By: deflave Re: 458 Socom - 12/21/18
None of you dickheads gonna tell me what type of can you're using?
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 458 Socom - 01/13/19
I'm still waiting on paper. I guess if you read about it you would find out the powder burn is mostly in the first 10 to 12 inches of barrel. In most cases you could probably use a pistol rated can. I plan on using the Silencerco Hybrid. Rusty
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 458 Socom - 01/31/19
Hey Deflave. Go to the 458SOCOM Forums and read instead of being a name caller. Rusty
Posted By: deflave Re: 458 Socom - 02/01/19
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
Hey Deflave. Go to the 458SOCOM Forums and read instead of being a name caller. Rusty

Thank you for condensing the info.

It brings great value to the site.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 458 Socom - 02/01/19
I sure like mine. I have the Rock River Arms upper, not the "Beast", on a put together lower, with a Geissel SSA-E trigger. Been using the Barnes TTSX 300 grainers, accurate and hit like a ton of bricks. Where I hunt, a 75 yard shot is a long shot, a thick cedar swampish area surrounded by agriculture, in Wisconsin. It works like all the rest of them, still have to put it where it needs to go! But it is neat to use.
Posted By: lanenebraska Re: 458 Socom - 02/01/19
Originally Posted by deflave

This works great:

Hybrid
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 458 Socom - 02/22/19
Mine worked excellent with 350 grain hornady round nose bullets. Hogs didn’t like it, neither did saplings and anything else that was in the way.
Posted By: Etoh Re: 458 Socom - 02/22/19
Love mine.

sits on an NFA lower sometimes. trashed an Eotech

call it my short range material interdiction rifle
Posted By: HawkI Re: 458 Socom - 02/22/19
It's about the best way to channel the 45/70 without running a lever.

A friend has one and we run 300, 350 cast in it. His guns throat won't run .458s and still crimp in the crimp grooves, so .457's they are.

It's not a legal cartridge for deer here, so its not used on anything but bowling over small trees...
Posted By: deflave Re: 458 Socom - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by lanenebraska
Originally Posted by deflave

This works great:

Hybrid

Thanks.

I think Local Dirty has one of those.
© 24hourcampfire