Home
Posted By: Ranting Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 12/30/18
I have been thinking about rechambering my Rem custom 458 win mag to a lott, is the lott that much better? I have read that it is very simple and you can shoot 458 win mag out of it if you want! I have been looking that you can find lott brass but hard to find 458 win mag brass, is this the wave of the future for the 458?
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 12/30/18
While I don’t have one, if I were getting another rifle....the Lott would be on a “very” short list of “wanted” rifles. It’s everything that the .458 WM wanted to be! And, as a handloader, you can lightload down to whatever “floats your boat”......but you could “never”, make the .458WM a Lott! JMHO. memtb
Posted By: 340mag Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 12/30/18
yeah thats one reason I bought a cz 458 lott.
I load and shoot mostly hard cast bullets and seldom exceed 2200 fps regardless of bullet weight,
it handles both the 350 grain and 400 grain hard cast bullets ,
but its longer case length, allows use of the longer 500-550 grain hard cast bullets
much better than the 458 win.
a whole lot of guys can,t seem to mentally come to grips with the idea that the vast majority of deer and elk are shot at well under 250 yards,
and a reduced load with cast bullets in a 458 caliber rifle easily handles that limitation
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

even the hard cast 350 grain gas check bullet at only 1900-2000 fps does impressive damage to any deer or elk, if properly placed

if you get bored... put a cartridge holder stock sleeve on your 458 lott and fill it with the 550 grain bullet hard cast hand loads... it tends to start a few conversations
[img]https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/186/webp/186072.webp[/img]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...9-diameter-540-grain-flat-nose-gas-check
[Linked Image]
heres a REMINGTON CUSTOM SHOP 458 WIN rifle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ranting...You have a PM
If I shoot 458 win mag brass in the lott what will it do to the brass?? nothing ?? or stretch it out?? >> I have a lot of virgin brass in the win mag and as I build up the lott brass
Originally Posted by Ranting
If I shoot 458 win mag brass in the lott what will it do to the brass?? nothing ?? or stretch it out?? >> I have a lot of virgin brass in the win mag and as I build up the lott brass

The cases will only stretch if there is too much headspace - and could happen to either 458WM or 458Lott brass. The only problem using 458WM brass may be that you get mis-feeds/jamming thanks to the shorter brass and steeper feeding angle.
So are you saying not to use win mag brass if you rechamber to lott >it can Jam?? not good in a BIG BORE RIFLE!
ITS NOT><>Quit!! Thanks MAU9MM
I like that >> Got it from Down Udder>> and not from a talking head American!!
If you're having feeding problems while using .458 Win mag in a .458 Lott chamber,take it to a gunsmith who then can work on the feeding problem. Jack Lott came up with his .458 Lott to use the .458 Winchester ammo in a pinch.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/01/19
Originally Posted by 340mag

[Linked Image]

This is hilarious!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/01/19

Long load the 458 Win mag and it will out run the Lott
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/01/19
With today's powders, the 458's advertised velocity of 2150 is easily attainable. I'd still with the 458 Winchester
Long load the 458 Win mag and it will out run the Lott>> I like that!! How smart was the Gun Maker?? to make something better and Its not ROCKET SCIENCE!! I have a long Throated CZ 602 375 that I can run with the 375 Weatherby and No pressure problem!>> AT ALL >> But the gun makes try scwish [bleep] into something that should not be and sell it and you have no wiggle room!! but its in the Rag and its better > No its not better >>but keep reading the RAG!
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

The cases will only stretch if there is too much headspace - and could happen to either 458WM or 458Lott brass. The only problem using 458WM brass may be that you get mis-feeds/jamming thanks to the shorter brass and steeper feeding angle.
Hard to have increased headspace since the WM and Lott index off the belt. Running too much hot Win Mag ammo thru a Lott could possibly erode the chamber at the mouth of WM brass causing trouble extracting Lott cases.
Originally Posted by 340mag
yeah thats one reason I bought a cz 458 lott.
I load and shoot mostly hard cast bullets and seldom exceed 2200 fps regardless of bullet weight,
it handles both the 350 grain and 400 grain hard cast bullets ,
but its longer case length, allows use of the longer 500-550 grain hard cast bullets
much better than the 458 win.

And a much better throat for cast bullets. Have you ever looked at a chamber drawing for the 458 Win Mag? Throat minimum spec starts about .010 larger diameter than the bullet and is a giant long funnel, not sure how any bullets pass through that without wobbling. Interesting point is that many of the CZ Lotts are factory rechambered Win Mags, at least the rechambering gets rid of the worse part of the Win Mag throat.

Win Mag p.151- (p.163 on my PDF)
Lott p.150-
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Z299-4_ANSI-SAAMI_CFR.pdf#page=13

A local DG hunter back during the 1950’s, hunted Africa with the 458 Winchester Magnum. He killed all the big stuff with that rifle and had no use for the 460 WBY Magnum. He said he shot clear through a rhinoceros with the 458 and all a 460 WBY would do is hit the ground harder on the other side...
Not owning either what is the benefit in the Lott other than 100-150 fps MV on DG, which is typically shot inside of 125 yards. Another aspect would be that heavy bullets (500 gr.) pushed at moderate velocities typically penetrate as well if not better than the same bullet at a higher velocity. I remember reading a statement from Finn Aagaard saying he shot buffalo, hippo and elephant with 458 WM, 470 Nitro, 500 Nitro and others and saw no real appreciable difference in the performance and effect on killing these DG. He very much liked the 458 WM for its performance, affordability and availability.
I would find a nice un drilled Husqvarna 640, with original trigger and safety and floor plate.
Screw a new barrel on it.
Put a nice peep sight on the rear bridge and barrel band and quality front sight.
Send it to a quality gunsmith and have him spend hours ensuring perfect feeding and extracting.
Put it in a quality stock.

Now you have a perfect rifle for hunting DG.

Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/04/19
JMO, you can duplicate or slightly exceed .458 WM velocities....without subjecting the rifle and brass to maximum chamber pressures, that are required with the .458 WM to obtain the desired velocities with the 500 grain bullet! memtb
Posted By: 458Win Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by memtb
While I don’t have one,
. It’s everything that the .458 WM wanted to be!
....but you could “never”, make the .458WM a Lott! JMHO. memtb

If you actually read what Jack Lott wrote he claims that all he ever wanted to accomplish with the longer Lott design was to duplicate the original ballistics of a 500 gr bullet at 2150fps as that had been proven to be perfectly adequate and controllable.

The original 458 accomplished that with a 25" barrel and now with newer powders like AA 2230 it is easy to push 500 gr bullets in a standard 458 Win well past 2200 fps.

But if you actually feel the need for more power then by all means get a Lott. Or better yet, why not a 460 Wby ?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/04/19
JMO, you can duplicate or slightly exceed .458 WM velocities....without subjecting the rifle and brass to maximum chamber pressures, that are required with the .458 WM to obtain the desired velocities with the 500 grain bullet! memtb

The SAAMI throat in the 458 Win is longer than in the 458 Lott. The 458 Win can be loaded to a longer COAL than the Lott thus achieve higher velocity. The magazine would need to be lengthened for them to work as a repeater.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/05/19
jwp475, Speaking “only” about the Win. model 70 (New Haven), it’s extremely easy and would cost nothing to modifythe .458 WM, to accept the longer Lott cartridge. Simply remove the magazine block and modify the bolt stop.....a magnum length action! memtb
Originally Posted by jwp475

The SAAMI throat in the 458 Win is longer than in the 458 Lott. The 458 Win can be loaded to a longer COAL than the Lott thus achieve higher velocity. The magazine would need to be lengthened for them to work as a repeater.

The crimping groove doesn't work out so well if you do that. I find the Lott is about perfect.
Originally Posted by 458Win

.........But if you actually feel the need for more power then by all means get a Lott. Or better yet, why not a 460 Wby ?

I have a CZ 458 WM and must have gotten "lucky enough" for them to use a new max spec reamer on my chamber. If a 350 TSX is dropped into the chamber and a sized case is then chambered, the bullet can move back and forth. Shoots 350gn into a shotgun pattern but 450gn into an inch. Have only found one cast bullet it will shoot and that requires care and cornmeal. At some point, will get it opened up to Lott so it has a chance with lighter bullets.

Why not ream a WM to the Lott and have the best of both worlds if the mag is long enough? CZ550 Safari's definitely have the mag space.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/05/19
Originally Posted by 86thecat

Why not ream a WM to the Lott and have the best of both worlds if the mag is long enough? CZ550 Safari's definitely have the mag space.

How is that the best of both worlds? Where is the advantage of doing so?
My .460 with a 500 grain Hornady DGX at 2300 fps. Basically top end .458 Lott.
[Linked Image]

I used the same bullet at .458 Win mag velocities (2000 fps) on this jackrabbit.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 340mag Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/05/19
most of the people that own a 458 win or 458 LOTT, or 460 wby, will never put the rifles sights on a rhino,
elephant , cape buffalo, or similar members of the African dangerous game.
yeah, we may dream about it, but financial reality keeps stomping on those dreams.
but what you can do is hand-load the rifles to a bit lower velocity and play with, and enjoy them.
Ive hunted with a guy who has used a 458 win with cast bullets for decades,
Ive also used a 458 win and 458 LOTT using more appropriate power levels
(450 marlin velocity levels) with 350-to-540 grain hard cast bullets.
used that way they are very effective deer, hog, and even elk hunting tools,
yes they may be limited to about a 250 yard practical range due to practical trajectory.
but news flash, in 50 years of hunting deer and elk , I could count the opportunities,
I or any of the members of my hunting club have had to shoot elk at over 250 yards on one hand,
with a couple fingers left over.
you certainly not going too need a 458 lott or 458 win to hunt elk, but both rifles hand-loaded
to hot 45/70 / 450 marlin, power levels make excellent thick timber elk rifles where range under 200 yards are the rule and a 400 grain bullet at perhaps 1800 fps-2200 fps make a very effective elk hunting rifle
I think there would be a great many more 458 win rifles sold if there were more people with experience hand loading the 458 win and 458 LOTT rifles with the lighter bullet weights and or at moderate velocities.
I purchased a remington custom shop 458 win mag rifle for about 2/3rds of what the original; owner paid and got a box of factory winchester ammo with 500 grain bullets and an empty 20 cases, which I was assured was the full extent of its previous use as the original owner decided its recoil was FAR higher than he could tolerate!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ive been looking for, and really wanted, a stainless/laminated ruger #1 in 458 lott at a decent price for about 10 years, ever since one of my buddies bought one at a local gun show for $900, he loves his, I reload for him, and no he refuses to sell his.
every time I have the cash I either can't locate one, or theres a family crisis that used all the saved cash
given a choice that would be my next rifle
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/6...ource=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-
+Range+Accessories&utm_content=699899&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Range+Accessories-_-PAST-_-699899&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkZ21-e7W3wIVA1uGCh2DXgWYEAYYAiABEgJkffD_BwE

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...-diameter-475-grain-round-nose-gas-check

theres a bit of extra satisfaction in dropping an elk with your cast hand loads

Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/05/19
340mag, Winner -Winner! It certainly seems that many handloaders think that maximum loads are the only option. In the early ‘70’s, when I first got into shooting cast bullets.... I developed a load for my .308 Win. Those cast bullets, made shooting much more affordable, and made it an everyday shooter. Summer time, it was used for snakes, turtles, and armadillos. It the fall/winter, it was used for squirrels and rabbits! In my handguns 357 Mag,44 Mag, and 460 S&W......lightloads are used, easily 10 to one! Heck....I’ve even got a good cast bullet load for my .375 AI ! memtb
I love 2150 and 500 grain Partitions in a 458WM, cant imagine what it wouldn't work on, I just like that velocity neighborhood for iron sighted or lower power scoped rifles, works well in others too.

303 Brit double, 2158 fps, 215 grs.
400 Whelen bolt, 2255 fps, 400 grs.
458 WM bolt, 2150 fps, 500 grs.
505 Gibbs bolt, 2150 fps, 600 grs.
500 Nitro double, 2168 fps, 570 grs.
577 Nitro double, 2076 fps, 750 grs.

When my 400 H&H is finished i'll be looking for an accurate 2150 fps with 400 grs in it too, not going full bore/pressure after the available 2400 fps.

In a CZ550 with a 3.750" magazine, Lott cartridges fill the magazine more completely and so should feed more consistently.
Lighter, shorter bullets are closer to the rifling which should improve accuracy. My CZ is abysmal with shorter bullets, a 350 TSX and many cast are well clear of WM brass before they begin to contact rifling.
Cast bullets should also be more accurate without traversing a wide, long throat and less chance of bullet "stripping" rifling.
A little more powder room will lower peak pressure.
Can still fire WM ammo in a pinch.

Don't see any point in messing with a standard length action but makes good sense to me if the mag is already long.

I can tell you that my Lott feeds great with any bullet I have tried except the 430 grain flat point cast bullets. If feeds them decent, though. The 430 grain cast shoot about 1" 3 shot groups @ 100 yards out of my rifle. I killed a bull elk with this bullet. I did not load it down much either.

I also loaded my 450 grain bullets that I took to Africa to 2350 fps. My PH was dumbfounded when I wanted to check my zero at 100 yards and off the sandbag on the bench. I put a nice .45" diameter hole in the center of his target and he said we were good to go!
The largest animal I have killed with the Lott so far is an Eland. The 450 grain A-frame stood him on his nose. Recoil is substantial I will admit. I shot some factory 458 Win mag loads out of it and they were 250 fps slower than the typical Lott velocities. I believe you can improve with handloads. I don't see a downside to the Lott since it can shoot and feed 458 Win mags if needed (mine feed and shoots them just fine). You have more energy at longer ranges if you use them on plains game- which I did.
dennisinaz, what rifle make/model is your 458Lott? Have you tried feeding the Winchester factory 510gn RN 458WM loads through it - this one will trip up half of the CZ550s.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/06/19

In a CZ550 with a 3.750" magazine, Lott cartridges fill the magazine more completely and so should feed more consistently.
Lighter, shorter bullets are closer to the rifling which should improve accuracy. My CZ is abysmal with shorter bullets, a 350 TSX and many cast are well clear of WM brass before they begin to contact rifling.
Cast bullets should also be more accurate without traversing a wide, long throat and less chance of bullet "stripping" rifling.

Don't see any point in messing with a standard length action but makes good sense to me if the mag is already long.

That same rifle with the long magazine chambered in 458 Win has a longer throat and allows for a longer over all cartridge length thus more powder and higher velocity than a Lott with its shorter throat.
dennisinaz, what rifle make/model is your 458Lott? Have you tried feeding the Winchester factory 510gn RN 458WM loads through it - this one will trip up half of the CZ550s.

I have only fed two boxes of factory 458 Win mag through it. One was 500 or 510 grain Winchester, the other was Federal but I don't recall the bullet. My rifle is a New Haven mod 70.
While I don’t have one, if I were getting another rifle....the Lott would be on a “very” short list of “wanted” rifles. It’s everything that the .458 WM wanted to be! And, as a handloader, you can lightload down to whatever “floats your boat”......but you could “never”, make the .458WM a Lott! JMHO. memtb

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said
I have a Ruger 458 Lott, love that rifle. It does wake you up when you pull the trigger.
I have a long Throated CZ 602 375 that I can run with the 375 Weatherby and No pressure problem!>> AT ALL >>
Have you tested the pressure on that? Or just relying on your brass?
I only have one Lott left. If those bad assed squirrels come back I'll be ready.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That same rifle with the long magazine chambered in 458 Win has a longer throat and allows for a longer over all cartridge length thus more powder and higher velocity than a Lott with its shorter throat.

When you rechamber a WM to Lott, you don't change length of the WM throat. Not saying to set barrel back 1/2 inch and then chamber for the Lott.
Reaming to Lott over the WM chamber would be your "best of both worlds". Long throat but longer brass to utilize shorter bullets or to load longer OAL and still have a caliber of bullet seated in the brass.
With either brass when long loading, there is the risk of getting the long OAL cartridge into a short chamber. Proper precautions should be observed, the same as for any non-standard ammo.

When you rechamber a WM to Lott, you don't remove all of the WM throat, not saying to set barrel back 1/2 inch and then chamber for the Lott.
That would be your "best of both worlds". Long throat but longer brass to utilize shorter bullets or to load out longer and still have a caliber of bullet seated in the brass.
With either brass when long loading, there is the risk of getting the long OAL cartridge into a short chamber. Proper precautions should be observed, the same as for any non-standard ammo.

If you used the .450 Watt reamer then you could use full-length brass, .Lott brass and the WM brass.
Have you tested the pressure on that? Or just relying on your brass? >Yes Just on brass and smooth extraction!! MM no pocket primer problems>> No lock Up!! Enjoy
Long throated 458 win Mag is very intro!!~ other then a Lott!! very interesting >>set out a Bullet longer MM very intro! then the average !! Rem actions have a lot of room to do this !! I have played with my massive 602 action and the long throat in my 375 but never played with my Custom rem 458 win Mag>>MMM just set the loads to standard specs !?! MM very intro!! the only thing is the brass grip on the bullet??
Has Anyone have a long throated 458 win mag and been able to bring up to the lott ?? this is not rocket science PEOPLE!! or maybe this thread is going to custom and wildcat forum!?!
If you long throat a WM you will have to seat the bullet way out to get more powder in it, then you can't crimp and you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine.
The 458 Win mag was to do what????? work in a standard 3006 action??? and if you look that 500g bullet is shoved down that brass real good!! but with a bigger action or a longer throat MMM
you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine.>>>>No that's real weak thinking!!>>> you can have a 300 weatherby but you can not have a longer 458 win mag in your mag!! NO!! Enjoy
then you can't crimp and you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine. MMM This knock back thing?? I do not understand ???? I have never crimped my 375 H&H hev loads with 300g bullets but I shoot 400g bullets in my 458 win mag with reload , but as I said I do not Know what my throat is on the 458 !! Time To Play!
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I only have one Lott left. If those bad assed squirrels come back I'll be ready.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remember,only use soft points on squirrels. wink
Posted By: 340mag Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/06/19
beautiful rifle!,
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes Sir! I guess Mr, Ranting can help me with load info.
Mr, Ranting can help me with load info.>> you people are bastards!!> Someone thinking out of the box>> total put down .
https://youtu.be/t12mRz6oMm8
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid

When you rechamber a WM to Lott, you don't remove all of the WM throat, not saying to set barrel back 1/2 inch and then chamber for the Lott.
That would be your "best of both worlds". Long throat but longer brass to utilize shorter bullets or to load out longer and still have a caliber of bullet seated in the brass.

If you used the .450 Watt reamer then you could use full-length brass, .Lott brass and the WM brass.

Thought reamers are normally ground for 2.850 brass even though drawings show shorter. Good point to double check on tho.
Surprising that full length brass and a little Weatherby throating weren't the SAAMI spec design, would have put the Lott/WM discussion to rest before it began.
What was the 458WM "wildcat" with "Weatherby" throat, to get rid of the funnel throat, 458JRS? May have the wrong initials, but always found that interesting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes,you're in good hands then. wink
He's got it all solved
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/07/19
then you can't crimp and you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine. MMM This knock back thing?? I do not understand ???? I have never crimped my 375 H&H hev loads with 300g bullets but I shoot 400g bullets in my 458 win mag with reload , but as I said I do not Know what my throat is on the 458 !! Time To Play!

It’s my understanding that this occasionally happened ih Africa with the earlier .458 WM’s......I can guess that it would be more pronounced with higher recoil due to higher velocities. While I “did not” experience “seating the bullet back” in my .375 AI....I did experience “major” flattening of the exposed less tip of the last round in the magazine. Not enough to begin to open the jacket, but the “spire-point” became a “wadcutter”......couldn’t help the BC’s much! smile memtb

It’s my understanding that this occasionally happened ih Africa with the earlier .458 WM’s......

I had been told (credibility under question though) that one problem with the earlier 458WM ammo was that the powders suitable for it at the time meant that the heavy projectile loads compressed the powder, and vibration during transit caused the projectiles to shift forward out of the case and that sometimes resulted in the round no longer being able to fit in the magazine. Can anyone confirm this?

Sometimes I use 500gn (or even 550gn) projectiles in my 458WM (CZ550) and seat them fairly well out. This means I can't use the crimping groove but it does help with accuracy and avoids having to compress the powder too much (if I use a faster powder than doesn't need compression, accuracy is not so good, even if the projectile is seated out). I've fired off magazines full of these non-crimped loads and have checked the rounds in the bottom of the mag, and the projectiles have never been shifted either way (in or out). I know you can get a Lee factory crimp die that doesn't need a crimping groove, but in my case I don't seem to need it.
While I was initially enamored with the Lott (I've had two of them) I can't see any reason re-chambering a perfectly good 458 Win Mag.

Load either one with 350's @ 2400-2500 fps as they are pleasant relatively mild recoil rounds that will handle any NA game at reasonable distances, load up 500's @ 2100+ for the biggest of game.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/10/19
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/9/14/head-to-head-458-win-mag-vs-458-lott/

"...Field reports of squib loads from a result of the compressed powder coagulating in the African heat, caused more than a few dangerous situations; there were reports of bullets actually bouncing off an elephant’s hide—the problem was real."

What does this mean? I've never heard of coagulated powder before.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/10/19

"...Field reports of squib loads from a result of the compressed powder coagulating in the African heat, caused more than a few dangerous situations; there were reports of bullets actually bouncing off an elephant’s hide—the problem was real."

Bullets “bouncing off an elephants hide” I’m calling BS on this.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/10/19

I cannot prove or disprove this (Bullets bouncing off).....but many years ago (‘60’s) I read of some African hunters having experiences with “squib” loads. Much reduced velocity, with zero or near zero penetration! memtb
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/10/19

I cannot prove or disprove this (Bullets bouncing off).....but many years ago (‘60’s) I read of some African hunters having experiences with “squib” loads. Much reduced velocity, with zero or near zero penetration! memtb

I’ve read the same BS but not in the 60’s those claims came latter. Reduced velocity probable but even 1700 FPS will penetrate and kill elephant. Too many have been killed with revolvers at 1200 t0 1400 FPS. I have a hard time believing those claims without detailed info with proper examination
Yup, I shot a bedded Eland bull in the right ham at 60 yards with a Sharps rifle and cast lead bullets I put up myself, had the skinners hand me the bullet from his left shoulder, that 8-9 feet of penetration from a bullet leaving at 1365 fps.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/10/19
No doubt that heavy, solids at low velocity, I have been a “handgun hunter” (part time) since the ‘70’s, will penetrate and kill. As the shots were not taken across a chronograph, we have no knowledge of the velocities. As a “squib load”, already a cartridge failure, the velocity may have been well under 1000 fps. Again......assuming it happened, at all! memtb
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/10/19
Tell you what, lads. I'll ask some of the older PHs at DSC about the 458 issue ( I KNOW for a fact the squib load issue with impacted ball powder due to excessive compression was real) and get back to you.
Agreed, I have heard about massive compression of early ball powders in the 458 causing ignition problems, probably ww-748, thank god for todays powders, I even use the old H-335 to get a reliable and easy 2150 fps with 500 gr Woodleigh and Partition bullets, same charge under the 450gr BBW #13 solids for better than 2300 fps, that has to be a hell of a penetrator.
All that makes sense - compressed load affecting powder ignition resulting in very low speed load that caused the projectile to bounce of an elephant (I've experienced ignition issues and fail to ignite when working up cast projectile loads with too slow a powder). I don't think the term the powder "coagulated" is correct. Maybe the problem was a combined issue of compression + heat (high ambient temperatures)?

And maybe coagulation refers to the appearance of any unburnt powder afterwards. When I had the ignition problems in the early days of my cast load experiments, the black deterrent coating on the powder was blown/burnt off exposing the yellow nitrocellulose, and the powder would clump together (partially melted?) but you cause squeeze it apart again using finger pressure. It was really weird - the primer pressure alone was enough to drive the lead projectile into the start of the rifling (and hard to remove) but not ignite the powder of even blow the cotton ball wad on top of the powder out of the case. If someone had told me this could happen I wouldn't have believed them, but I saw it first hand. Mind you not all the loads did this - most fired or hang fired, and the stuck projectile ended my session at the range for the day.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Tell you what, lads. I'll ask some of the older PHs at DSC about the 458 issue ( I KNOW for a fact the squib load issue with impacted ball powder due to excessive compression was real) and get back to you.

Couldn't find his account but Ganyana wrote about first hand experience with 458WM failures.

Here is the jist of it-

https://www.shootersforum.com/african-hunting/106065-ammunition-cheap-passing-legends.html

IIRC he was given a Parks 458 which did not penetrate and he finished the job with a lighter rifle.
I believe Don also wrote of an appy shooting an elephant with no results and the bullet was later found to be sticking into the hide without penetrating the skull.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 01/11/19

Couldn't find his account but Ganyana wrote about first hand experience with 458WM failures.

Here is the jist of it-

https://www.shootersforum.com/african-hunting/106065-ammunition-cheap-passing-legends.html

IIRC he was given a Parks 458 which did not penetrate and he finished the job with a lighter rifle.
I believe Don also wrote of an appy shooting an elephant with no results and the bullet was later found to be sticking into the hide without penetrating the skull.

Not reaching the brain, I buy bouncing off of the hide I’m not buying.
It is hard to imagine, especially since there is no mention of squib load.

I have an african hunting DVD at home where the guy is hunting elephants (and buffalo) with various double rifles. I recall that he is using a 577NE double and shoots an elephant straight in the forehead and only "brains" it, meaning it's only stunned and goes down to it's knees (and able to recover after a short period of time if allowed). He then goes around the side and puts a finishing shot in the side of the head. He comments that this is typical behaviour for this cartridge and that this technique was used by some well know hunter.

It was titled "Death by Double Rifle" by "Big Bore Productions" - I'll have to dig it out tonight and revisit the particular scene.
Hope this saves some google time, 577 and Elephants-
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/472102309/p/1/xsl/print_topic
Couldn't find the article about 577's I was looking for, seems like a lot from 10 years ago has gone by the wayside online. African Hunter had quite a library of articles that seem to be awol.
Interesting read on the AR link, Thanks 86, that guy was using a woefully under powered 577 load, I have an Ele load for my 577 double, the 750gr Barnes banded solid at a beautifully regulated to the sights 2076 fps would be near unstoppable, I put that load through a near 2ft across dead seasoned oak here at the farm I later sawed up for fire wood, never shot and Ele, but, that would have to work.

Here is the jist of it-

Not reaching the brain, I buy bouncing off of the hide I’m not buying.

Agreed. Years ago I was fiddling around with cat fart loads with my 35 whelen using 148 gr wadcutters. I loaded down to the point bullets wouldn't leave the barrel, then added a tad more powder until the bullets would leave. Never chronoed the loads but I imagine they were 300 fps or there about. Even at that sedate velocity I was getting 1" penetration in a phone book at point blank range.

Now if a 148 dead soft wadcutter will penetrate 1/2 way through a phone book, I'd imagine a 500 gr solid at squib level whatever that is would not simply bounce off the skin of an elephant. It takes more pressure to engrave a solid than a dead soft wadcutter so even a squib is likely leaving the barrel at least 700 fps if not 1000 fps and a 500 gr at that speed is going to be capable of much more penetration than most would believe.
Several years prior to the birth of Ganyana, there were a couple of individuals who were killing HUNDREDS of elephant utilizing the poor ol' maligned .458Winchester Magnum. Ron Thomson: "Well, I can tell you I have fired many thousands of .458 Magnum bullets into all of Africa's Big Five (except rhino) and I have never found the calibre wanting." Quote from the book: MAHOHBOH. Another shooter of the .458 Winchester Magnum was Richard Harland. His book: THE HUNTING IMPERATIVE is worth the read. Between the two of these gentleman, they likely have killed in excess of 5,000 elephant. Mostly utilizing the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Of course, if a .458 Lott appeals to an individual, then, by all means go for it.

Whichever cartridge is chosen, learn to shoot the rifle accurately. If big bears, or Africa's DG are in the offing...practice, practice, practice.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Butcher - have you ever shot any of the rifles you post photos of, or do you just post photos of them on internet forum to try and justify being an internet a-hole? I'm asking for a friend...

Get out of your trailer man - go find a hobby for Christ's sake!
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Butcher - have you ever shot any of the rifles you post photos of, or do you just post photos of them on internet forum to try and justify being an internet a-hole? I'm asking for a friend...

Get out of your trailer man - go find a hobby for Christ's sake!

I have always been an ass hole. Why say you friend asked when it was you making the comment? You ain't changed young feller. I have shot a round or 2 from my rifles.
Karl, that's not being too "Quick" 'Ol Butch probably fires 20 Thousand rounds across the board per year, maybe more, no one including me shoot the really heavy bores that often.
Damn BL, we were typing at the same time ; ]
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn BL, we were typing at the same time ; ]

Yeah, old QK is just a lost kid.
laugh
laugh

Keep sucking up, gunner, someday you can grow up and be just like butcher - sittin in his trailer pleasuring himself...
The only reason anyone needs for owning a 458 Lott, is because they want one.

So what Keed, what is wrong with that? Get back to wiping your Daisy down.

I use my .460 Wby for varmints.
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the pic Elk, I just got back from pleasuring myself out in the trailer lmfao!
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. – Mark Twain”
"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he or she treats people who can't do him or her any good and (b) how he or she treats people who can't fight back. -Abigail Van Buren”
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the pic Elk, I just got back from pleasuring myself out in the trailer lmfao!

wink
grin
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/08/19
yep the reason to own a 458 Lott is: you want to own a 458 Lott > GO BUY A LOTT ! i did i like it !
I say if you are going to shoot , Shoot a LOTTS. It's LOTT's of fun.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/08/19
I don’t know, that is a Lott of cartridge.
I want to ask a Q about Brass? > easy to get 458 lott Brass?>> easy to get 458 win mag brass? >> whats your thoughts?
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/09/19
I think a valid question would be....why “not a “Lott”? memtb

That's right, and an 8 Bore, 577 Nitro, 500 Nitro and 505 Gibbs too. smile
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/09/19

When I grow up, I’ll probably have to settle for.... just the Lott! wink memtb
I want to ask a Q about Brass? > easy to get 458 lott Brass?>> easy to get 458 win mag brass? >> whats your thoughts?

My thoughts are...yes easy to get brass.

When I grow up, I’ll probably have to settle for.... just the Lott! wink memtb

The 'Lott' will get it "all done" with ease.
So,the Lott will do a Lott then? wink
So,the Lott will do a Lott then? wink

Yessir, it will do "MORE" than A LOTT! laugh
You can get a Lott from the Lott! Thanks Gunner!

I knew you had Lott's of useful information.
LOL, You're most welcome Elk, i get A LOTT of enjoyment from friendly banter about A LOTT ; ]
And when 'quick karl' spools up enough brain wavelength to make 11 more posts in the next 11 years, he's going to send our asses to the trailers! shocked
And when 'quick karl' spools up enough brain wavelength to make 11 more posts in the next 11 years, he's going to send our asses to the trailers! shocked

Yes he is and that scares me a Lott! frown
laugh laugh
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/10/19
There’s a “Lott” of entertainment value in this thread! smile memtb
Yup,Lott's of laughs going on here!
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/12/19
Honestly.....I was hoping for “Lott’s” more humorous comments! smile memtb
laugh, karls going to send your ass to the trailer for some self............damn I forgot the word, gotta go back and look.

Yes, get sent to the trailers to pleasure ourselves lmmfao!
Well,it is Lott's of fun hunting with a Lott of gun.

Then there is using Lott's of powder and Lott's of scope too.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/12/19
With Lott’s of extra velocity, you need Lott’s more scope! smile memtb
And Lott's of dialing. Don't forget Lott's of BC to reach a Lott further than everyone else.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/13/19
That was impressive! I have a “Lott” of catching-up to do, and will likely take a “Lott” longer to beat that....I have a “Lott” of work to do! grin memtb
A little or a Lott at a time you will get there. Just remember,there's a Lott of potential in yourself. Lott's and Lott's of people are here to help you. smile
I've noticed a LOTT of things mentioned here, the main thing missing is, a LOTT takes a LOTT of bullet weight, 500 whole grains, and that is a LOTT!!!!! grin
Yup,500 grains is a Lott,keep in mind it has a Lott to do. The Lott will also accomplish a Lott more with lighter bullets. The recoil will be down Lott's more and a Lott more fun to shoot. wink
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/14/19
This is a “Lott” to consider! I can see that the “Lott” has a “Lott” of potential, when using the “Lotts” of available components.....the “Lott” can perform well for a “Lott” of different applications, which would be a “Lott” to ask of a lesser cartridge! wink memtb
The Lott is capable of a Lott and a Lott more. Just remember that a Lott of scope is not needed for the Lott,nor is a Lott smaller scope needed for the Lott. For the Lott a mid-range scope is what the Lott needs. wink
Your most recent post, pertaining to the “Lott”, was a “Lott” more than I thought could be put into words, describing the “Lott’s” of well deserved attributes to the “Lott”. When it is summed up there is not a “Lott” that the “Lott” can’t do, and that is saying a “Lott” of any cartridge, whether factory produced or a “wildcat.....which covers a “Lott” of cartridges held in high esteem! whistle That’s a “Lott” more that I thought I could put together in praise of the “Lott”! smile. memtb
Lott's of hunters praise the Lott as being a Lott better than the .458 Win. That means a Lott to Lott's of hunters of dangerous game. Don't forget the the Winchester round can be fired in the Lott which will get you out of a Lott of trouble.

A Lott of people who handload for the Lott will get a Lott of practice with their Lott's and that will improve their shooting with the Lott a Lott. wink
I don’t think I can expound the virtues of the “Lott” nearly as well as you have.....that would be a “Lott” to ask! I will humbly bow in reverence to your knowledge and experience, as you have “Lott’s” more to offer in this conversation pertaining to the “Lott” than I! 🙇‍♂️ memtb
Thanks a Lott Memtb! laugh
Where's Quick Carl or Ranting??
Well,they are trying out their Lott's on Lott's and Lott's of gallon jugs. They need Lott's of practice with their Lott's.
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/15/19
Well,they are trying out their Lott's on Lott's and Lott's of gallon jugs. They need Lott's of practice with their Lott's.

grin
Good thing we are not talking about a Winchester,Remington or Weatherby big bore. wink
Posted By: memtb Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 03/16/19
Your right. I would have a “Lott” or difficulty coming up with very many lines with those as options! grin Sorry, couldn’t resist! memtb
We could use Gibbs,for instance... I would Gibbs a Lott of money for a Rigby rifle. wink
We could use Gibbs,for instance... I would Gibbs a Lott of money for a Rigby rifle. wink

OK! I wonder if Gibbs, or NCIS, owns and shoots a “Gibbs”! memtb
That is Gibbs question and one I don't know a Lott about.
I bought a 458 Lott purely for the heck of it. I also have a 458 Win. I have no defined use for either, other than just because. The notion at the time was to load 400 grain bullets in both.
I got side tracked with 416's and 350 grain bullets. So the 458's pretty much just sit in the safe a whole lot. Were they stainless, perhaps that would be actually used. A stainless in a Mark II / Hawkeye Ruger and a Lott in a stainless M70 Classic might see some use. But, the 416 Ruger and 416 Rem are my favorites in above .375.
Rumor has it, that either one works pretty good on rabbits....jacks or cottontails! memtb
I heard that also.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 06/16/19
I once owned a CZ550 in .458 Win Mag. At the time I could have bought a CZ550 Lott at the same price. However, I didn't buy the Lott for several reasons I'll not go into here, but I was getting "Lott" ballistics anyway by seating the heavy bullets long. At the time, .458 brass was more available than Lott brass, and cheaper.

Today, I own a Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag and easily get 2300 fps from 500s, 2400 fps from 450s and 2760 fps from the 350 TSX. And I'm not alone in those results from the .458 Win Mag using not only A2230 but other more modern powders. Mine has a 24" barrel.

There's a long ongoing 136 page thread about all that on AR.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Both "headspace" on the belt...
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 06/16/19
i keep a Ruger # 1 458 Lott at my shop just for conversation and i got it at a great price too. who know`s maybe the next Dirty Harry movie Harry " Clint Eastwood" will need to borrow this great old # 1 458 Lott for a movie ? otherwise if someone figures out how to create a big meat eat`n dinosaur hopefully a 458 Lott can kill it quickly ?
With a Lott, there is no issue regarding compressed powder charges.

While in South Africa last summer, I was hunting mountain reedbuck. My PH brought me to a 200 year old farm owned by a friend of his who had mountain reedbuck that were eating his crops. They only came out at dusk.To make a long story short, one finally appeared and I missed the shot with my .30/06. Too dark, really.

The next morning, the farmer brought out his prized DWM Mauser which had been made into a gorgeous .458 Lott built with old world craftsmanship by a riflesmith who obviously knew what he was about. I was invited to shoot it and found it to be quite accurate.. Recoil was tolerable and the iron sights were dead on.

I was so impressed that when I returned home, I decided I wanted one. I happened to have a Winchester custom shop Model 70 .375 H&H that IMO was a bit too heavy for a .375. It would have been perfect for a .458 Lott, however. I was going to send it to JES to be rebored. Shoulder surgery intervened and the project was scrapped. No more heavy recoiling rifles for me. iI is now on consignment at our local gunsmiths, still a .375.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Any Reason for a 458 Lott ? - 11/25/19
It seems at least very difficult if not impossible for some people (including shooters) to understand the basics of physics. A .458 Win Mag in any rifle that can be loaded with any bullet to 3.6" COL has the same cartridge capacity of a .458 Lott. That includes the CZ550 I owned, an M70 Winchester, a 700 Remington and my current Ruger #1. The point that has been made already that the .458 Win Mag can exceed the COL of the Lott's 3.6" in using the long 450s and 500s of Barnes TSX's. In my CZ I could seat them to a COL of 3.78". Not so in the Lott because it has a relatively short throat, regardless of the box length. I can also seat those bullets to 3.68" for the 450 TSX and 3.8" for the 500 TSX with still plenty in the case when crimped into the bottom cannelure. The 350 TSX would shoot 3/4", 3-shot groups at 100 yards leaving the muzzle of my CZ at 2750 fps/5876 ft-lbs, and 2760 fps from my current Ruger #1 at 2760 fps/5919 ft-lbs into MOA. The Ruger will also fire the 450 A-Frame at 2400 fps and a 500gr Speer or Hornady at 2300+fps.

Just the facts.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
© 24hourcampfire