Home
I love Sako Mannlichers and I have considered looking for one in 375 H&H but wonder about the barrel length of 20 inches.

Does anyone have experience with shorter barrel 375s? Muzzle blast bad? How much does the performance decrease?
I’m also interested and eager to hear everyone’s thoughts...
Elkrazy,

I've had 5 375 H&H rifles. 2 with 24" barrels, 1 with 23" barrel and 2 with 20" barrels. Both 20" rifles were the Sako AV. Shooting the same load in almost all, with the longer barrels the velocity averaged 2615 fps with a 300 gr. bullet, in the 23 " barrel it was 2530 fps. I did not chrono one 20" barrel, but the second actually liked a load with 1 & 1/2 gr. less powder that chrono'd 2473 fps. I personally could only tell increased muzzle blast when I didn't wear any hearing protection. Of all 5 I definitely liked the shorter barrel rifles. Good luck with your decision! Terry
BRLMKR - Thanks for your response, it was very helpful. Did you think the stock on the AV was clunky at all? I have older Sako Mannlichers which are more svelte. With the 375 I wonder if bigger/thicker might be better.
Well, yes. I ended up putting on a custom stock. But, I went that route more because I didn't care for the 2 piece joined under the barrel band more than the "clunkness" of it. That was my 2nd Sako - got talked out of the first one and really missed a Mannlicher stocked 375. Ended up being most accurate (not by much) 375. Terry
Elkrazy,

PM.
With hearing protection not much different than a 308 Stutzen we were shooting at the same time. I did not try them with out the muffs. I don't like the idea of the two piece stock but both of these rifles were very accurate and you can't tell by looking that it is two piece. The heavier stock on the 375 felt appropriate.

I liked them a lot.
© 24hourcampfire