Home
A friend of mine lives in AK who has recently had surgery on his neck. He has a 416 rem mag with a muzzle break on it already but he is afraid the recoil is still going to be too much. He was talking about getting a stock that can help reduce the recoil even more. The only one I have found is the blackhawk axiom. Has anyone used this with heavy calibers and how did it work. Is there a better chassis system or stock that can help reduce the recoil?

Also found falconstrike hydraulic recoil pad.
I'd forget the stock and focus on a new barrel in a lower recoil chambering. If he's shooting a Remington 700, I'll send him a take off barrel in 7mm Rem Mag for just the cost of shipping.
If it's a synthetic stock, take off the recoil pad and put in enough buckshot to get the weight he needs to reduce the recoil to a mild level. Then shoot in some insulation foam to hold it in place and re-install the recoil pad.
He could use reduced Loads.
Originally Posted by Slider1
He could use reduced Loads.

Yep,,, Load it down to 2200 fps, it will still kill anything this earth has to offer!
If it has a brake already, then the recoil should be neglible.
I had shoulder surgery, I was able to start shooting within 12 months. Yeah, it was a while before I was recoil tolerant again.
I shoot 375 Bee, 416 Rigby, Lott and a 338-416 Rigby Improved ( this is the only rifle I have braked).
I also shoot 300 mags and 338 mags unbraked.

I asked my surgeon before I started shooting, he was very positive in telling me I could start when I felt the pain was no longer an issue and to ease into it. I started my shooting off with my 222 and progressed into heavier recoiling rifles as my confidence grew.

Cheers.
Drop down to a 300 - 350 grain bullet at around 2-2,200 fps and recoil shouldn't be too bad. A recoil reducer might help but only slightly more than just adding weight. Since some injuries can be aggravated by any more shock or trauma the re-barreling option seems like the best idea. The 7mm RM can be loaded to 7x57 performance levels and have very low recoil. I also just got a shirt that has a pocket for a Shockeater pad and this helps quite a bit. The PAST and Sorbathane pads are good too, but the Shockeater had the best attenuation per thickness.
© 24hourcampfire