Home
Posted By: wabigoon Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Just everyday pork chops. How would you fix them?
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Shake N Bake in a cast iron skillet in the oven, then topped with Enrico Formella Extra Hot Giardiniera.

Or, in a crock pot smothered in home made chili verde.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
In summer, grill them on the q.

In winter, cover them with a can of mushroom soup and simmer or bake until done.

Spoon the gravy over mashed taters.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
I like rough or end cut chops for this, bone in & plenty of fat for moisture. Pork steaks work great also.

I sprinkle them with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning & on a gas grill on low, I cook till they stop oozing red, 160-65 internal temp.

I used to grill other than steaks way too hot & have finally learned to turn the heat down. As my mentor told me, cook chops & chicken slooooowww. Guessing I was about the only person that didn't know this.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Brown them in a frying pan, along with sliced onion.

Add a can of mushroom soup, and cook for about a 1/2 hour with a lid on, on medium low.

Virgil B.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Hit em with 5:2:2:1* and slip em on a hot grill year ‘round. Can’t remember cooking them another way in a very long time.

*S:P:G:O
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just everyday pork chops. How would you fix them?

I've only ever followed the directions on the Shake N Bake box.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Thin cut....hot iron...salt and pepper.
Posted By: mathman Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Thin cut, Calphalon skillet, gas range, Prudhomme's Meat Magic, a bit of extra light olive oil.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Grill them and make Banh mi sandwiches [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Gas grill, Cookies flavor enhancer.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Garden leaf lettuce salad.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: deflave Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

That looks good.
Posted By: 79S Re: Pork chops? - 06/24/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

That looks good.

I agree quite the pencil set
Posted By: fremont Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
Bone-in. Pan fried. Cream of mushroom soup and hopefully a baked potato (butter, s&p) alongside canned string beans.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
Cooked in the pan until seared.

Then smothered in sauerkraut until done.

Served with mashed taters, or that German tater salad you folks were talking about the other day............

and applesauce.
Posted By: mathman Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
Unless they're thick ones they're done when they're seared.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
Thinner cut bone in. Cooked on super hot charcoal grill. Get them a little crispy move to cold side of the grill.Slop on some thick sticky sweet bbq sauce cover for a few minutes. Once the sauce sets up and glazes over flip and do the same with the other side.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
Dredge in Flour, S&P, garlic powder, cast iron.
Make pan gravy, mashed, homemade apple sauce.

Or

Season salt, light coating of olive oil, grill.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
I'd just as soon have a good pork chop as a steak. I like them grilled, fried, or baked in the oven.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
I sprinkle an Italian seasoning mix on each side and then stick them under the broiler. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
I might try grilling pork chops. Like I said, I grew up in a house where the only way pork chops were made was according to the Shake N Bake instructions. Never occurred to me to try something different. Some of the pictures of grilled pork chops look pretty good.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I might try grilling pork chops. Like I said, I grew up in a house where the only way pork chops were made was according to the Shake N Bake instructions. Never occurred to me to try something different. Some of the pictures of grilled pork chops look pretty good.

They are really good if you smoke some mesquite chips in a tuna or sardine can.

Get the chips smoking first. Porkys don’t take long.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Pork chops? - 06/25/20
One way I had them was thick ones sliced and stuffed with oysters then grilled. Had a red sauce that was like BBQ sauce and seafood sauce combined maybe some citrus added. Like them baked with sauerkraut prunes and apples. Another favorite is to rub them with jerk spices and grill, slow then hot to sear.

Cooking depends on thickness, thin ones frying pan or griddle, thick ones grilled.

Pork chops lend themselves to sweet & sour savory sauces like chutneys, cumberland and peach bourbon sauce, apple sauces and hoisin too.
Posted By: fremont Re: Pork chops? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
homemade apple sauce.

Shoot, I forgot applesauce. Yes. Preferably homemade Gravenstein.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pork chops? - 06/27/20
Got some today at the farmers' market. Local folks raise some pigs every year, get them butchered/processed somewhere down in NV or something. Couple of hours drive for them.

I think I'll grill them instead of sauerkraut method for the fourth.

Being as how my wife and I like the stuff, maybe rub them with some Ras al Hanout. NOT very traditional..............being it's a Moroccan spice and I'm putting it on................

PORK of all things.

Maybe get some onions out of the garden to grill too. Maybe a zucchini from the store, ours are nowhere near ready yet.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork chops? - 06/29/20
Brown them in a skillet , put in a flat baking dish, add a hand full of stuffing to each one and smother in golden mushroom soup. Bake at 350deg for 40-45 min.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pork chops? - 06/29/20
Apples and onions are a great side. Slice up some peeled apples and some onions. Cook in a pan with a lot of butter until the apples are a bit soft and the onions are translucent. Add in a bunch of brown sugar and heat until it is melted and a bit thick.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Pork chops? - 06/29/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Apples and onions are a great side. Slice up some peeled apples and some onions. Cook in a pan with a lot of butter until the apples are a bit soft and the onions are translucent. Add in a bunch of brown sugar and heat until it is melted and a bit thick.

5s
This one sounds great.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Pork chops? - 06/29/20
The wife made some kind of sauce the other day out of ketchup, mustard, dill pickle juice and some kind of seasoning. Poured it over the chops and baked them in foil till falling off the bone done.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pork chops? - 06/30/20
I’ve been getting some thick bone in loin chops. Usually two to a package and 2.25-2.5 pounds for the pair. SPG, chile powder, and a hint of cumin. Grill indirect on the Weber over mesquite.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork chops? - 06/30/20
Now we're talking Sean !

These are some Iowa pork chops Wabi bought Deb & I. Have posted before, but worth a repeat.

Took them camping, rubbed, smoked till 120* internal & reverse seared. MMmmmm good !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pork chops? - 06/30/20
You did those chops up in grand style Paul, there is another package in the statch, hard to say when I can get them "UP" there.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pork chops? - 06/30/20
I received a new laptop for Father’s Day, hopefully I’ll figure out how to get some pics back up in here.

Nice job, Paul. I love a slightly/faintly pink thick chop.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork chops? - 06/30/20
Thanks.

Yep, no point in drying them out !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pork chops? - 06/30/20
On sale again this week, $1.79 a pound. The Iowa Chops.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork chops? - 07/01/20
Next time you grill those chops get you some rings of pineapple to grill with them. Ring on top will keep them from drying out.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork chops? - 07/02/20
You mean like this ?

Also excellent with apple sauce pan gravy;

Posted By: 4th_point Re: Pork chops? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Cooked in the pan until seared.

Then smothered in sauerkraut until done.

Served with mashed taters, or that German tater salad you folks were talking about the other day............

and applesauce.

I put pork shoulder/butt/whatever and kraut in the c-pot yesterday, and let it cook for 8 hours. Man, that was really good. Wife loved it to. Kids said, "What's that stank?!"

Been missing out on this dish. Glad we tried it, but will put the c-pot on the porch next time.
Posted By: sse Re: Pork chops? - 09/25/20
Have posted before

what a surprise
but will put the c-pot on the porch next time.

a porch is an integral part of cooking in 'merica
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork chops? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by sse
Have posted before

what a surprise

Constipated ?

Prolly to much Tylenol.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by sse
Have posted before

what a surprise

Constipated ?

Prolly to much Tylenol.

mad
Posted By: JGray Re: Pork chops? - 09/26/20
I did bone in pork chops on the pellet grill the other night and they were the best I've done to date. I used a Weber brand dry rub and put them on the cold grill before lighting it and then smoked them at low temp for 1/2 hour or so. Then I turned it up to 400 to finish - I guess that's similar to the smoking followed by a reverse sear mentioned above.
© 24hourcampfire