Posted By: sse The 4th - 06/28/20

it's not too early to plan for Saturday

i'm thinking a slab of baby backs
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The 4th - 06/28/20
Burgers and dogs.

Potato salad, beer, and Shasta.

Baked beans too.

Probably an apple pie.

Immensely thankful that we live where we do, and our family.
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 06/28/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Burgers and dogs.

Potato salad, beer, and Shasta.

Baked beans too.

Probably an apple pie.

Immensely thankful that we live where we do, and our family.

that works, i'd go with cherry pie
or blueberry
a nice poke cake, better still...cover it with cool whip, sprinkle with sliced strawberries and blueberries
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: The 4th - 06/28/20
Originally Posted by sse

it's not too early to plan for Saturday

i'm thinking a slab of baby backs

I like how you think. I'm doing six racks of St. Louis spare ribs, one for my wife and I and the rest for family and friends. Also going to do some smoked beans and kielbasa. If I'm breaking out the big smoker, I might as well load it up.
Posted By: deflave Re: The 4th - 06/28/20
I just did two shoulders and a brisket this week so I'm thinking something simple and quick for the 4th.

Burgers a bag of Zapps and a big fuggin' watermelon sounds about perfect. LOL.
Posted By: EdM Re: The 4th - 06/28/20
I'll probably pull out a bag of carnitas from the freezer as it's just the two of us. Maybe some charro beans and corn tortillas.
Posted By: rem141r Re: The 4th - 06/28/20
i'll be doing a pulled pork overnight on friday. corn on cob, beans, slaw and maybe a rack of ribs on the fire to go with it. still not sure on who's coming. i have about 14 cases of good homebrew, a half gallon each of gin and vodka, sack of limes, couple sixers of tonic, jug of cranberry juice and 12 pack of Squirt. this has to last me all week though. probably need to hit the liquor store for more gin. love my gin and chronic's.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: The 4th - 06/29/20
Gonna do a brisket. Haven't decided on sides but watermelon for dessert.
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 06/29/20
now i'm wavering...might be fish or shrimp
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The 4th - 06/29/20
Our daughter lives in the county seat town where the fireworks will be. I'm tryin' to wangle an invite meal before hand. laugh
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: The 4th - 06/30/20
Marie Callendar's breaded pork teevee dinner. Set the time at 40 minutes at 350° F and it's ready. Nothing to clean up but washing a fork. I'll have a Scotch & Soda while dinner is cooking. grin

L.W.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: The 4th - 07/01/20
I don't know.

Maybe a fish fry. Got enough to feed the neighbors.
Posted By: RNF Re: The 4th - 07/01/20
I am frying fish, potatoes, and hush puppies along with a pot of pinto beans and cold slaw. I am having my parents over and my dad who is 88 can eat the fish easier. I did the fish back on his birthday and couldn't believe how much fish a 88 year old man can eat.

I am also doing a couple slabs of ribs and a brisket for a friend who is helping me change the fuel pump in my truck Saturday morning.
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/01/20
gonna go with grilled jumbo shrimp (bathed in chili-lime butter), grilled heart of romaine with avocado caesar dressing (one of my absolute faves)
Posted By: blindshooter Re: The 4th - 07/01/20
Easy, burgers and dogs on the gas grill.
S'posed to be hot here so quick is good. Might make some onion slaw.
Oh, and beer.
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Marie Callendar's breaded pork teevee dinner. Set the time at 40 minutes at 350° F and it's ready. Nothing to clean up but washing a fork. I'll have a Scotch & Soda while dinner is cooking. grin

L.W.

hey don't over do it
Posted By: jackmountain Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
Work til at least 1:00pm then head to the cabin, couple steaks, Amish macaroni salad, potatoes, salad etc

Beer and some bourbon, play Cornhole with the son.

Campfire and smores after dark.

Watch some movies.

County is 98.6% white according to wiki but I don't know of any minority so I'm betting more like 100% white. Doubt well have to chamber a round out of anger this weekend.
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Work til at least 1:00pm then head to the cabin, couple steaks, Amish macaroni salad, potatoes, salad etc

Beer and some bourbon, play Cornhole with the son.

Campfire and smores after dark.

Watch some movies.

County is 98.6% white according to wiki but I don't know of any minority so I'm betting more like 100% white. Doubt well have to chamber a round out of anger this weekend.

thanks for sharing
Posted By: ironbender Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
Originally Posted by sse
now i'm wavering...might be fish or shrimp

Good to have choices.
Posted By: EdM Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
Well things have changed and we are doing a potluck with a couple of neighbors. Burgers, dogs, green bean casserole and queso and chips for us.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
going to farm neighbor's party. Missouri river flathead and blue cat fish fry, and pot luck sides. Good old country music music, byob coolers, and a 10K firework display. The best flyover country can provide.

Hopefully pics on the 5th
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
Pork butt on the pellet smoker. Will leave the rest to the wife.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
The plan, the plan, and at times, "The best laid plans, of man and mouse". Pork ribs, Cole slaw, rolls, some spud dish.
Posted By: Pugs Re: The 4th - 07/03/20
Some neighbors and a couple CF friends over.

13 lb brisket just went on the BGE. I'll get 5-6 hours of smoke on it then off to the oven for the night. Should be done about 0800 -- it can easily rest until afternoon.

Other than that? Potato salad, salad and watermelon with mint and a blueberry tart for desert.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
BBQ’d chicken legs, burgers, chili, jalapeño poppers, corn on the cob, watermelon, pickled beets, beer cheese and pretzels, blueberry pie, ice cream.....

Supposed to have a few friends and their families over. They all chickened out. Scared of the ‘Rona.

We’re gonna yak paddle in the morning, eat and drink , big fire, lame fireworks, and be happy we don’t have to deal with anyone else. 🙂

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by rockchucker
going to farm neighbor's party. Missouri river flathead and blue cat fish fry, and pot luck sides. Good old country music music, byob coolers, and a 10K firework display. The best flyover country can provide.

Hopefully pics on the 5th

That sounds pretty darn good!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by Pugs

13 lb brisket just went on the BGE. I'll get 5-6 hours of smoke on it then off to the oven for the night. Should be done about 0800 -- it can easily rest until afternoon.

How's that work out for ya ?

Pic ?
Posted By: calikooknic Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
I did enough cooking for fathers day and my grandmas birthday last weekend. Whatever my brother cooks or grills I will help with everything but the dishes!
Posted By: Pugs Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Pugs

How's that work out for ya ?

Pic ?

Ended up hitting 195 at 0600 so 14 hours total. It's resting wrapped until the afternoon event. Didn't slice it but while wrapping it had the right "feel" so hopefully good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Craig2506 Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
I’ve got 15lbs of brisket on the smoker. Coming off at 0800 to rest till 1300 lunch. Homemade peach bourbon bbq sauce, smoky onions, and cowboy candied peppers to go with the sandwiches. I’m salivating just typing this!!
Posted By: Terryk Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Put dry rub on St Louis ribs last night. Just loaded them in the smoker with oak wood.
Wife is making a cold bean/corn salad. Water melon and blue berries to finish.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Evidently we are starting with bacon and scrambled eggs.

Posted By: TimberRunner Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Started last night with grilled elk sirloin, homemade ceaser with grilled Artichoke hearts and a glass of 2017 paso Robles Zin.

Posted By: TimberRunner Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Got a butt on, cherry ice cream just got churned, gotta make some slaw and cut up a watermelon.
Haha! Hey Cheesey......we just did hash browns, scrambled eggs and sausage links on the flat top outside.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Fish tacos on corn tortillas with shredded cabbage ,sliced radish and a lime crema sauce later on. Had some chicken and sausage gumbo for lunch.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Haha! Hey Cheesey......we just did hash browns, scrambled eggs and sausage links on the flat top outside.

Damnit. I should have thought about hash browns. Shame to heat up all that surface and not fully utilize it.
I tell you what....I had to work like hell to keep the eggs out of the grease trap.

Need to re level.
Posted By: fremont Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by Craig2506
cowboy candied peppers

Details please, Craig.
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by sse
gonna go with grilled jumbo shrimp (bathed in chili-lime butter), grilled heart of romaine with avocado caesar dressing (one of my absolute faves)

Before:

The romaine is first spritzed with EVO and Dizzy Dust...God Bless you BYC, wherever you are...

After:

(no way i deserve anything this good...?!)
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Started last night with grilled elk sirloin, homemade ceaser with grilled Artichoke hearts and a glass of 2017 paso Robles Zin.

Dayummmmmmmmmmmmmm...!!!
You guys who have delicacy game meat are not invited any more...!!!
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Evidently we are starting with bacon and scrambled eggs.

set up to die for...and the daughter knows it, too...+1
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I did enough cooking for fathers day and my grandmas birthday last weekend. Whatever my brother cooks or grills I will help with everything but the dishes!

nice to see ya hanging out, kooky
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Tonight was smoked pulled pork, lime/cilantro cabbage slaw, watermelon and homemade cherry ice cream. Didn't get a pic cause the crew was starving....the pork butt took two hours longer than I had planned.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

hey don't over do it

Nahhh, gourmet all the way for me. Eating in style, as they say. laugh

L.W.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Debated between the Dinner Tonight thread and this one. But, since it is the Fourth, and this was our holiday dinner, here seems to fit best.

Went to the local farmers mkt this morning after a mile walk with the dogs and wife around the Modoc Nat Wildlife Refuge. The few vendors there had no zucchini for the grill, so I went with two kinds of beets and some carrots. Meat was tri tip coulotte steaks, sprinkled with a bit of lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and some smoked paprika.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

on the coals:

and on the plate:

Them dang big red beets might have been better than the steaks, which were mighty tasty as was the rest. We've had roasted beets from the oven many many times, this was our first on the coals. I think my wife wants them that way all the time now!

Happy BD America!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
So the daughters sprung a surprise bbq on us after all three working all day. . All I had to do was fire up grill and supervise the grilling and smoking. They even brought some of them safety fireworks over. Someone got a pic of the meat grilling i'll postup later.

Menu-

Freedom eggs
Applewood smoked Brentwood sweet corn
Marinated grilled portobello mushroom
Red, white and blue cheese potato salad
British Bangers, pesto and jalapeño sausages
Chocolate pie and cheese cake fruit tart.

Girls on Avalanche watching illegal fireworks

Posted By: wabigoon Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Son-in-law John did a bang up job with the pork ribs.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GregW Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Nice Fats - dessert last night ..

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Son-in-law John did a bang up job with the pork ribs.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

looks great, very festive and fun...the best ingredient is family
Originally Posted by GregW

love the dessert and decoration, is that with a cheesecake filliing...?
Posted By: GregW Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by sse

Sugar cookie crust, cream cheese filling, whipped cream and berry topping...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The 4th - 07/05/20
Love it Greg.

Will have to put it in the memory bank for future consideration.

Quick, simple, easy, relatively healthy (? hey, it's got fruit on it! ) , colorful, and PATRIOTIC as heck!
Originally Posted by sse

Sugar cookie crust, cream cheese filling, whipped cream and berry topping...

wink looks deelish

on the 5th of July, all it takes is a cocktail, nice salad, maybe a slice of whole wheat slathered with margarine...

Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/06/20
a modest portion of ice cream is allowed, too, just this time
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: The 4th - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by sse

Before:

The romaine is first spritzed with EVO and Dizzy Dust...God Bless you BYC, wherever you are...

After:

Yes Man, that'll eat !
Posted By: Texczech Re: The 4th - 07/06/20

Could you tell me what Dizzy Dust is?
BTW this is great!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: The 4th - 07/06/20
Here you go Tex !

Great stuff.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/dizzy-dust/

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Posted By: Texczech Re: The 4th - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Here you go Tex !

Great stuff.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/dizzy-dust/

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

That looks good. We'll have to try that. Thanks Paul!
Posted By: sse Re: The 4th - 07/07/20
DD really is great...i use it mostly for this and other grilled vegetables. they have other flavors, too, sky's the limit
Posted By: deflave Re: The 4th - 07/07/20
I don't know what all we made for the 4th. I feel like we cooked for three days straight.

Those avocado's that FatCity posted a video of are pretty good warm. But much better if you serve them cold the next day:

MadMooner gave me a hankering for some of these the other week:

The girls wanted to make an apple pie and they didn't disappoint.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: The 4th - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by deflave
The girls wanted to make an apple pie and they didn't disappoint.

Nice work, girls!
© 24hourcampfire