Home
Posted By: CashisKing Goose BBQ - 09/24/20
I will warn y'all straight off the bat... it is not amazing.

I will occasionally shoot a passing goose. I have honestly never been very fond of goose.

The last one I shot I skinned and put on low in a crock pot.

6 or 8 hours later I strained the goose in a colander and proceeded to lay out and pull out the bones.

Blended it up with a bottle or two of barbecue sauce.

Came out like a decent dark meat chicken BBQ.

Word of caution, set up the crock pot in the garage or outside. Crock-Pot Goose reaks.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
I'm not a waterfowler, but all the wild goose that I've eaten in the PNW has been really good. Either whole birds given to me, or prepared by friends. Sometimes just marinated in Yoshida's and grilled. It's awesome.

Maybe it depends on the specific flyway, species, what they were eating prior, or stress levels during migration?

Either way, most hunters that I know here like goose meat. Not many that like ducks, unless made into roni grin

Might be regional? I have no idea.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
Hmmm, I don't like to strain my meat usually.

I have never applied low and slow to a wild goose breast. The ones I enjoy go better with hot and fast.
Posted By: sse Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
Crock-Pot Goose reaks.

that's special
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
One of my techs, at work, is making Canada goose pastrami, from whole breasts, this weekend !

Been dry marinating since Wednesday in vacuum bags.

Love the idea of it, let you know the outcome Monday.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I have never applied low and slow to a wild goose breast. The ones I enjoy go better with hot and fast.

The majority of the goose that I've eaten has been grilled, hot and fast, as you mentioned. Marinated in Yoshida's.
Posted By: sse Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
some things may be more fun to shoot than eat
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
Wild Goose = Sky Carp

Never have liked the smell or taste of the buggers.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Goose BBQ - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
One of my techs, at work, is making Canada goose pastrami, from whole breasts, this weekend !

Interesting... looking forward to your recap.

----------------------

Added...

Picture from 7-8 years ago.

Rob's first goose

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Goose BBQ - 09/26/20
Ate some once that was tolerable, but I was just trying to be nice to the cook.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Goose BBQ - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Another fantastic use.

Sometimes the food forum delivers. Sometimes it is a cluster [bleep].
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Goose BBQ - 09/26/20
Took a smoked goose (speck?? snow??) out of the freezer the other day wondering if it would still be good. My neighbor gave it to me, already frozen, back a couple months ago. It got lost in the freezer.

Sliced a bit off the breast yesterday, ate a bit as a test to see how it went through my system. Made a big old sammich out of it today.

It was yummy. I'm impressed..............and better yet........................still alive!

Now I hope to get a small goose or three this season myself.

Dogs liked the skin too, but what do they know?
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Goose BBQ - 09/27/20
Tried it numerous times. Never been a fan myself If I shoot it I normally eat it. I typically give goose away to people that like them. Buddy tried Steven rinellas pastrami goose breast recipe. Said it was good. I didn’t get to try it

Did have fried goose liver once. Sliced thin and then fried. Was actually pretty good.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Goose BBQ - 09/27/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Took a smoked goose (speck?? snow??) out of the freezer the other day wondering if it would still be good. My neighbor gave it to me, already frozen, back a couple months ago. It got lost in the freezer.

Sliced a bit off the breast yesterday, ate a bit as a test to see how it went through my system. Made a big old sammich out of it today.

It was yummy. I'm impressed..............and better yet........................still alive!

That's my experience with specks as well. I roast the breasts and they come out dang good. Way better than snows and canadian geese.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Goose BBQ - 09/27/20
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by Valsdad

That's my experience with specks as well. I roast the breasts and they come out dang good. Way better than snows and canadian geese.

They're flying over the house every day and night now. Big ones, small ones, big v's, strings of 10 or so, and even some pairs.

I love goose music.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Goose BBQ - 09/27/20
Skin on- spatchcocked on the grill seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning is my favorite. Cooked medium rare like steak.

Corned goose or smoked into pastrami is great.

Most these days get mixed into the summer sausage grind.

This year I will try a batch of goose boudin...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Goose BBQ - 09/27/20
Originally Posted by haverluk
Skin on- spatchcocked on the grill seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning is my favorite. Cooked medium rare like steak.

Corned goose or smoked into pastrami is great.

Most these days get mixed into the summer sausage grind.

This year I will try a batch of goose boudin...

Awesome!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Goose BBQ - 09/27/20
have to make sure all feathers and such are out of the wound channels. they will taint the meat while cooking. smoked is the way we go with duck and geese.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Goose BBQ - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Buddy tried Steven rinellas pastrami goose breast recipe. Said it was good.

Yep, this was what Brian did !

Really good.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=H1fEeMqP6W0[/video]
Posted By: Morewood Re: Goose BBQ - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by Remsen

+1
Not a fan of Honkers or Snows but I really like the Speckle Bellies. The breasts almost remind me of veal. Delicious!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Goose BBQ - 10/01/20
I love ducks. But geese are not as good. I always heard specks were good. I had some last year and it just isn't as good as a mallard. It is sky carp. Snows and Blues are even worse. I pride myself on cooking game. Geese I haven't found a way to prepare so they are really good.
Posted By: longarm Re: Goose BBQ - 10/02/20
I've made pastrami with Canada geese following Hank Shaw's recipe and it was excellent.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Goose BBQ - 10/04/20
Resident geese taste like schit no matter how you cook them.
© 24hourcampfire