Home
Posted By: Ptarmigan Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
With the boys at home a lot more right now, they’ve been smashing on the food reserves pretty hard! Haha! With their love for bacon I figured we should give it a shot. I used the maple recipe Jim had posted a while back. We gave it a 7 day cure, then put the smoke to it this morning. I used half apple, half hickory to smoke it. Pretty sure I’m going to Costco tomorrow to pick up another pork belly after the reaction to round one. Damn good stuff!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Tonight my youngest wanted to try his hand at making homemade pasta. Of course I had to oblige and now he’s hooked on the good stuff. Good day off with the family!

Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Awesome Dad.
Very nice...

We did homemade root beer, steamed crabs when my boys were that age... anything to get them doing something involving their brain.

Bacon looks beautiful
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Good Goin'! My mother made homemade egg noodles.
Posted By: Judman Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Nice work man. No comparison between homemade/store noodles
Posted By: antlers Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Nice work on the bacon and the noodles. Both look great.
Posted By: RNF Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by antlers
Nice work on the bacon and the noodles. Both look great.

+1 And having the boy help.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Nice!

My first job was cracking eggs for a fresh pasta business that some neighbors owned. Made $3.35 an hour cracking around 1-200 dozen eggs a shift! The pasta was outstanding. All different kinds, shapes, flavors, stuffed, etc.....
Posted By: Judman Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
We must be pretty close in age mooner, I remember buckin haybales for minimum wage, which was $3.35... 😂😂
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by Judman
We must be pretty close in age mooner, I remember buckin haybales for minimum wage, which was $3.35... 😂😂

$3.25 an hour here working at a campground being a camp bitch boy! The job had its perks though. I tried hanging around the pool as much as I could when the girls went for a swim!
Posted By: sse Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/26/20
great pictures, and family time
Originally Posted by Judman

Wow, my farm wage was $2.5/hr in the mid eighties, and they withheld social security.
Another paid me $20/day, from 7-5. Then they raised it to $25.

Loved farming would still be doing it except for,
well, the pay. Logging was better, but still starvation.
Nice!
Very nice peetarm!

Don’t let school get in the way of their education!!
My first job was picking cabbage and squash for $1.45 an hour.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/28/20
Very cool. Looks like you have all the gear.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by sse
great pictures, and family time

Originally Posted by ironbender
Very nice peetarm!

Don’t let school get in the way of their education!!

+ 1 !!

Well done boys !
All looks great
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Homeschool cookin’ 101 - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
With the boys at home a lot more right now, they’ve been smashing on the food reserves pretty hard! Haha! With their love for bacon I figured we should give it a shot. I used the maple recipe Jim had posted a while back. We gave it a 7 day cure, then put the smoke to it this morning. I used half apple, half hickory to smoke it. Pretty sure I’m going to Costco tomorrow to pick up another pork belly after the reaction to round one. Damn good stuff!

Tonight my youngest wanted to try his hand at making homemade pasta. Of course I had to oblige and now he’s hooked on the good stuff. Good day off with the family!

Right there in those pictures, those eyes, those smiles, I can see the love, and the sense of true family, a rarity in this world these days. Congratulations Dad, you are one of the Good Ones ! smile

Miss Lynn
© 24hourcampfire