Home
Posted By: wabigoon Soybeans? - 09/27/20
Seriously, I see them for sale in the hippy stores. We soaked some in brine, then roasted them on a cookie sheet once. Not all bad, there must be a better way.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Soybeans? - 09/27/20
Good for soy sauce.

Not much good for other things.

Textured Vegetable protein is garbage.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans? - 09/27/20
I'm sure the web is full of recipes, what's the fun in that?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Soybeans? - 09/27/20
Thought you rancher dudes ate beef?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Soybeans? - 09/27/20
I've gone in the bean field when they were dry enough to combine, shelled out a handful and ate them that way. I knew some farmers who tried roasting them like peanuts, but decided peanuts were better.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Soybeans? - 09/27/20
I've eaten them dry

ONCE
Posted By: Ella Re: Soybeans? - 09/27/20

Growing up, we'd eat them as edemame. Steamed with soy sauce.

Also with chicken in a stew. Would have to find that recipe. It's been a while.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Soybeans? - 09/29/20
Tempeh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans? - 09/29/20
Given the price of dry beans, I don't think I'll spend time on the soy.
Posted By: r_dubya Re: Soybeans? - 10/02/20
Worked at Co-op in Larsen/Winchester WI, early 90's.. We ground/ mixed feed bagged or bulk. Had a semi pull in a couple times a week with roasted soy beans, still warm.. Always grab a pinch...good stuff....Till the day roasted rat showed up with the beans...
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Soybeans? - 10/02/20
I don't mind the whole variety steamed at the Japanese restaurant, with a little bit of salt, while drinking beer and waiting for my food. But they are not unlike the "free" chips at the Mexican restaurant. Just to fill your stomach.

At home, I'll take them shelled any day of the week over peas. Not a fan of peas one bit, unless they are in a sheepherder's pie or with ground lamb.

© 24hourcampfire