Home
Posted By: wabigoon Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
I haven't seen any for years now. Any turkey ham.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
Jennie-O used to be a staple for my lunch sandwiches.
Posted By: antlers Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
I buy those Jennie-O Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Turkey Breast’s all the time. I love em’. Their Fully Cooked Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast’s are great too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
I wish you could buy uncooked whole breasts at the store.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
I see frozen turkey breasts often Jim.
I’ve got a Butterball Turkey Breast in the freezer now. It’s uncooked, but it ‘is’ boneless.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by antlers
I’ve got a Butterball Turkey Breast in the freezer now. It’s uncooked, but it ‘is’ boneless.

Is it pressed or is it a whole muscle?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by antlers
Is it pressed or is it a whole muscle?
I wish it’d just been filleted right off the breastbone, but it is a perfectly shaped 3 pound boneless turkey breast roast...says “made with turkey breast meat” at the very bottom in letters so small that I had to put on my spectacles to read em’.
I'm told by a man with a large turkey barn, the turkeys they raise are much larger than what we buy.

The dark meat is exported, mostly to Mexico. I'm thinking the turkey ham is dark meat.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20

Richard, I remember when turkey raising became a big thing around AC in the late 50s, the turkeys were bronze instead of white.
They raised the birds outside then John.
The man I talked about raising turkeys. Their barns raise the equal of 4000, 1200 pound steers a year.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/25/20
How well I remember! There are few pleasures to compare to getting whacked across the bridge of your nose by a turkey wing bone while stuffing the bird into a cage on a truck.
I'm told loading turkeys, even with the conveyor belt loader is not a job for the feint of heart, or a weak back.
The birds fit in the "least cost ration" well.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Richard, I remember when turkey raising became a big thing around AC in the late 50s, the turkeys were bronze instead of white.

We always raised the broad breasted bronze turkeys.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/26/20
Bertil Blomstrom's outdoor flock was about a quarter mile from our house along the blacktop. If I had my bedroom window open at night, every time a vehicle drove by there would be a "Gooble-Gooble-Gooble" from the assembled multitude.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/26/20
In this part of Iowa, both the hog, and turkey barns are big business.
I think that the turkeys used to pretty much wind up in Worthington - I imagine that they go all over the place these days.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/26/20
Villias/ Sara Lee/Hillshire/ Tyson/ , several name changes over the years.
You'd think that I would have remembered Vilas in Storm Lake as I worked there for two whole nights before jumping ship for higher pay at Wilson's in Cherokee.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/26/20
We've got us a few turkeys right here on this forum too Richard.

And more than a fair share of hams!

grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
We've got us a few turkeys right here on this forum too Richard.

And more than a fair share of hams!

grin

<rimshot>
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 10/27/20
Turkey breasts Big Jim. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: antlers Re: Jenio Turkey Ham? - 11/11/20
The local grocery store today had whole turkeys (Butterball and Jennie-O) for 50 cents a pound. I bought two of em’, each almost 15 pounds, and each one cost just a little over 7 bucks. I will fillet the breast off of each one and have ‘real’ boneless turkey breast roasts. Plus I’ll have all the other turkey meat to do something with to boot. Those ‘pressed’ boneless turkey breast roasts are 11 or 12 bucks apiece...!
© 24hourcampfire