Home
Posted By: Wannabebwana QuaIl recipes - 11/22/20
Grocery store had frozen quail and I bought some. Would like recipe suggestions.

Thanks.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: QuaIl recipes - 11/22/20
I fry them in a cast iron skillet. Coated with flour/pepper/salt. Lots of butter. When finished add milk to the drippings to make gravy. Pour gravy over rice/quail and have at it.

I side of biscuits don't hurt.
Posted By: Pugs Re: QuaIl recipes - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Grocery store had frozen quail and I bought some. Would like recipe suggestions.

Butterfly them and grill then top with a little Chimichurri Sauce
Posted By: Cheesy Re: QuaIl recipes - 11/24/20
Steakhouse in Stephenville Texas butterflied them and then grilled and basted with a citrus sauce. They were excellent.

At home, I just filet the breast meat off. Then flour, salt, pepper and fry the breast filets and legs. Make some gravy. Mashed potatoes. Man I miss the good ol’ days when we had quail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: pal Re: QuaIl recipes - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Steakhouse in Stephenville Texas butterflied them and then grilled and basted with a citrus sauce. They were excellent.

At home, I just filet the breast meat off. Then flour, salt, pepper and fry the breast filets and legs. Make some gravy. Mashed potatoes. Man I miss the good ol’ days when we had quail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice photo.
Posted By: LJBass Re: QuaIl recipes - 11/25/20
I've been raising the Japanese quail. Tried the first batch tonight.
Skinned them, then spatchcock, lightly rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper.
In a pan melted butter, thyme, fresh garlic.
Bird goes breast side down for 5 minutes, then flipped and butter ladled over for a minute or so.
Pan hot, but not so hot that the butter scorches, I want the breast to have browning.

Pretty damn good for a test flight. I'm sure they would be better with the skin on, and a cast iron skillet.
© 24hourcampfire