Home

I really enjoy Cast Iron - but I’ve always here don’t do it on gas and glass top stoves.

Is this true or BS ?

I’ve actually used them with Gas stoves before, but never my own, and I’ll be buying a new stove so now I need to know.
Work fine on gas.

Glass okay if pan has ground flat bottom.
Never had a glasstop. Plus, I despise electric ranges.

Works fine on gas. Guess I don’t understand the concern.
Don't see what the big deal is. Cast iron cookware was around long before gas stoves. A flame is a flame, heat is heat. Have a brother with an electric glass top, uses cast on it all the time.
I use cast iron on a glass top. You might scratch the glass though if you are not careful.
All we have at our fire stations is gas stoves. At a station I was at recently at they have three cast iron skillets.
They built the station in 67’ and moved in to it in early 1968.
Around ten years ago we replaced the cabinets in the kitchen and we found a receipt for all three skillets from a local hardware store. You guessed it, 1968.
Last night, at my station, I fried up some pork chops in an old cast skillet.
It looks awfully pretty all seasoned up setting on the stove. We always season ours with bacon grease.
As a matter of fact, we fry up bacon about once a week more for the grease than for eating it. Getting to eat it is a bonus.
We need the grease for frying eggs, frying potatoes, seasoning green beans and seasoning the skillet. Good stuff!
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
I use cast iron on a glass top. You might scratch the glass though if you are not careful.

Use mine on gas and a glass top, just extra careful on the glass
Cast iron is great on a gas cook top. Glass tops I avoid when possible, cast iron or not.
I been using cast iron on both for years. Only issue I ever had was when I had an electric coil burner short out and it ruined a cast iron with an enamel coating inside. Burned a pretty good dent into that dutch oven. Enamel chipped off right where it burned the bottom.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I really enjoy Cast Iron - but I’ve always here don’t do it on gas and glass top stoves.

If you can't use it on gas or glass top, what can you use it on? Old school electric or wood only?

Current house is a glasstop, and cast iron is about 90% of what we cook with on top of it. Would like to add a propane tank and run a line so I can get away from electric, but too many other things taking priority.

Mom and grandma only have ever had propane, and cast iron is what they always used.
Originally Posted by mathman
Cast iron is great on a gas cook top. Glass tops I avoid when possible, cast iron or not.

Are you sneaking into people's houses and cooking on their stove or something?

Where are you encountering all these varied stoves?

Are you guys using porcelain coated cast iron or just regular cast iron...
I have a Wolfe commercial gas burner on my porch, when weather permits, for those nasty little frying jobs that cause divorces. You know the ones, fast and hot, clams, oysters, venison, rib eyes...that destroy a kitchen. Cast iron is the only way to go, the most expensive gourmet alloy pans distort under that much heat, bowing up in the center, the oil runs to the edges, and then you are cooking in a dry pan with predictable results. Porcelain cast iron is an invention of urban democrats in my opinion. Invented for white privilege women who like how it looks, with no thought to how it performs.

I use both.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

True, wife won’t let me use black cast iron on her glass cooktop, enameled cast iron is ok though.
I've cooked at places other than home, even without sneaking in.
Do you take a pan with ya?
I have done so.
A real Galloping Gormet!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I use both.

+ditto
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A real Galloping Gormet!

Didn’t you see the “trots” thread?
We never owned a glass top stove but I can imagine cast iron may get a little heavy or scratchy. In this house cast iron gets used everyday for one thing or another.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mostly cast iron, one dutch oven enameled
We use the dutch ovens on the glass top but Mom won’t hear of me putting a black cast iron on the glass top.... Big trouble.
My mom got a glass top stove and she had smooth bottom pans and it worked great.

Her pans were so seasoned that they have a soft coating to them and I smoothed any high spots off with my angle grinder. Not a single scratch yet.
The problem with glass tops is the ability to simmer. It's soooo hard to get that heat level exactly right on a glass top stove.
The biggest problem with glass cook tops is they aren't gas cook tops. grin
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The problem with glass tops is the ability to simmer. It's soooo hard to get that heat level exactly right on a glass top stove.

And that pretty much sums up my experience with glass tops.
We have a black glass top/stainless steel stove.
Beautiful piece of furniture.
After you have put in the work to get it perfectly clean.

Has a convection oven.
Love that oven, once it finally gets hot enough.

And that's all I like about the dam thing.

Don't like the idea of gas in my house.
Removed a gas stove in our trailer ampnd wired it for a stove.
But, the day is coming when this POS leaves, and the propane
guys will be setting us up for a new stove.

Yes, we use cast iron on it.
Yes it has caused a few scratches.
You are ok if you don't slide the skillet, but, the skillet wants to slide.
© 24hourcampfire