Home
Posted By: okie john Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
Getting ready to buy a freezer for the house. Looking at an upright. What's the best way to go on this?

Thanks,

Okie John
Posted By: chris_c Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
Chest holds the cold better
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
We use both. It sure is easier to organize things with the upright. For us anyway.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
I looked at both and ended up buying an upright.

One suggestion, buy a bigger one than you think you'll need. You'll be amazed how quickly it fills.
Posted By: JPro Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
Yep. Not uncommon around here to have 2 refrigerators and two chest freezers, both full when deer season is over. Also gives you the space to hit the supermarket sales and stock up.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
Avoid Samsung and LG, some may have had good luck but the odds are against you.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
Chest type, non frost free.Will keep food longer without freezer burn and cheaper to operate.
A little ingenuity and food is just as easy to organize as an up right.
Posted By: 805 Re: Freezer Questions - 07/12/21
I prefer an upright as they are usually available in larger sizes also. Buy a name brand like Maytag, Amana, Whirlpool. There are some nice chests freezers also. Might depend on your desired location/space also.
Posted By: Bclark Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
One of each is best. I keep the upright filled from the chest so the wife doesn’t complain about having to dig through stuff to find what she wants.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
Bought a fridigedaire about 8 years ago, upright. LED lights and alarm. Been a great addition.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
Another plus for the upright is it takes up much less floor space.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
Had em both but upright for me.

The chest will hold more as you can load that sucker plum full but there will be a lot of stuff that makes its way to the bottom and lost until it's too late, at least in my experience.
Posted By: pullit Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
I too have had them both, upright is all I will buy from now on
Posted By: JJF Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
I have a friend who owns a farm and, of course, chickens and cows. He has need for plenty of freezer space for beef, venison, etc.. He used to have large chest freezers but got tired of trying to find what he was looking for. So, he ended up with multiple uprights and is very pleased with this set-up. However, it really comes down to personal preference. If your need is big enough, a walk-in cooler/freezer might be the best option.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
Get a conventional freezer.

Biggest you can afford.

Upright is nice for organizing.....but they hold WAY less.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Freezer Questions - 07/13/21
Yep, I agree Jim !!

If you most have an organised freezer, use 1 on the fridge for nancy organizing.

Got 3 chest freezers, mostly full of goodies.

It's how a man does stuff !
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Freezer Questions - 07/14/21
I take meat packages of the same cut and put them in big Ziploks. About 8 packages per bag, laying each flat in the Zipock. Then I stack rows, front to back of each type in the 24 ft chest freezer. My chest type will hold about two elk,a deer and two antelope and some pork

So I might have rows of round steak,chops, sirloin, back strap ,ground,etc. Each type readily available. I mix the elk, deer antelope in with each row,so I have variety.

When hunting season starts in the fall, fresh elk,deer, and antelope gets put on the bottom and last years goes on top if there is any left.

Once a week, I take enough meat to put in the refrigerator freezer for the coming week.When the freezer starts to get empty, I take some empty cardboard boxes and put on the bottom so I don't have to reach for anything. We also have 7 ft freezer for incidentals.

We defrost about every two years when it;s mid winter
Posted By: boatboy Re: Freezer Questions - 07/14/21
We have both
They each have benefits
but I do find with the small chest I am more likely to forget about something that maybe in there

We had 2 incidents with the upright that the door was not closed properly by a certain user I put door hooks on the door to be sure thats not an issue again

are either cheaper to run?

Hank
© 24hourcampfire