Home
Posted By: pullit Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
Well this year the tomatoes are really rolling in, so I have started canning tomato juice. So far I have put up around 35-40 pints of juice which will go into chili and soups later this fall and winter. Next big picking I think I will can some salsa.

Need to get a pressure cooker to can some green beans and what not.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
To sort of steal from Will Rogers, I never met a jar of home-canned tomato juice that I liked. (Heading for cover now.)
Posted By: pullit Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
I will admit, I am not much of a tomato eater (pick them, slice and eat) but do like them in chili, soups, etc.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
We've canned probably two dozen pints of salsa and about 12 pints of spaghetti sauce so far. Not sure if we will can any more this year.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21

Campbellā€™s Tomato Juice and V8 here.
Posted By: pullit Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
auk1124, tell me about your salsa, thinking about canning some of that next.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by pullit

Mrs. Wages salsa mix plus peeled tomatoes and whatever peppers you want to put in it. Cook on stovetop as directed and then can.

We have found that about 21 peeled medium tomatoes, more or less baseball size, plus your peppers, plus about 3/4 cup of vinegar and half of a Mrs. Wages tub, will fill up a standard stovetop cooker pot. So we split up a tub of Mrs. Wages into two batches.

We also shortcut the tomato and pepper dicing process by just rough chopping it all and running it through a food processor. Works fine and makes really tasty homemade salsa. We put a bunch of habaneros in the last batch and it was hot but good.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by pullit

Mrs. Wages salsa mix plus peeled tomatoes and whatever peppers you want to put in it. Cook on stovetop as directed and then can.

We have found that about 21 peeled medium tomatoes, more or less baseball size, plus your peppers, plus about 3/4 cup of vinegar and half of a Mrs. Wages tub, will fill up a standard stovetop cooker pot. So we split up a tub of Mrs. Wages into two batches.

We also shortcut the tomato and pepper dicing process by just rough chopping it all and running it through a food processor. Works fine and makes really tasty homemade salsa. We put a bunch of habaneros in the last batch and it was hot but good.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

Wife uses Mrs. Wages, good stuff
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/03/21
My dad used to can it in qts. He put in a teaspoon of salt. A garlic clove and a slice of jalapeno. I remember it being good.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/03/21
My wife is the canner in the family.

Her new pressure cooker/canner.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/03/21
I am guessing a killer Bloody Mary can be had with that juice.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Canning Tomato Juice - 08/03/21
Great chili to Ed.
© 24hourcampfire