Home
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Up to my butt in apple - 08/02/21
What are some good recipes/things you like to make with apples? I have the apple pie and sauce covered. I just filled up a couple of 5 gallon buckets with apples with no end in sight.

It's amazing how many apples you can get from 9 trees and the deer and still gorging twice a day. At the current rate of an apple a day, I shouldn't need to see a doctor until 2238
Posted By: pullit Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/02/21
Man I would love to have some apples to can/freeze. You can always put them up for the winter.
Apple butter, would be something you could do as well
Forgot, my wife's favorite, apple fritters
If you have a dehydrator, you could also do apple slices.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/02/21
Peel and slice about 1/8". Melt lots of butter in a pan. Introduce apple slices and sliced onion to pan. Add brown sugar. Cook until apples and onion are done to your preference. Might need to add brown sugar and butter as you go,
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by pullit
Man I would love to have some apples to can/freeze. You can always put them up for the winter.
Apple butter, would be something you could do as well

We were just discussing apple butter, I'll have to look that up.
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/03/21
Apple Butter
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/03/21
I loved apple butter as a kid. Get a jar every year from Grams.

Trade them at a farmers market or something. I’d trade a couple 5G buckets straight across for some good sauce tomatoes.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/03/21
Where in the heck are you that apples are ripe at the beginning of August?

And we make sauce and freeze it, along with dehydrating as many as I can after that. Nothing like having a quart zip lock of dry apple slices in the pack when hunting. I just have to remember, there's about 3.5 apples per bag, and eat too many and it's no different than eating them fresh. In other words, don't forget the TP.

Can't wait for my trees to start producing, should we ever get the right spring weather. Late freezes kill us here.
Posted By: rong Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/04/21
hard cider? grin
Posted By: chris_c Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And we make sauce and freeze it, along with dehydrating as many as I can after that. Nothing like having a quart zip lock of dry apple slices in the pack when hunting. I just have to remember, there's about 3.5 apples per bag, and eat too many and it's no different than eating them fresh. In other words, don't forget the TP.

Can't wait for my trees to start producing, should we ever get the right spring weather. Late freezes kill us here.

We were at friends northern Minnesota, apples are ready
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/04/21
Dry, can, freeze.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I have a tree full of Lodi’s turning ripe now. They’re damn tasty.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/10/21
When I lived at +/- 600' elevation in WA the only tree that got ripe this early was what we believed to be a Yellow Transparent. Red apples weren't ready at least until September.

I'm going to look up those Lodi apples, see if they'll maybe work around here.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Up to my butt in apple - 08/10/21
Gravensteins
© 24hourcampfire