Home
Posted By: pullit Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Thinking of trying to can some homemade salsa. Only two problems that is see.....1) never made homemade salsa, 2) never canned salsa....lol
Any help or pointers, step by step or recipes?
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Get a ball canning book.

It will pay off in great dividends
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Buy the Ball Canning book. Everything you need to know is in there including great recipes. We finally finished up our salsa and fig preserves and blueberries.

The book is a great resource and I highly reccomend it.
Kevin beat me to it.
Posted By: pullit Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one.

Question while I am waiting for it to get here, does the salsa need to be canned in a pressure cooker? I would think it might turn it to mush, don't know for sure.
No, you just need a canning pot with a rack. Start getting jars, lids and rings together. Buy them locally if you can find them. Since Covid, there seemed to be a major rush on canning supplies and lids, caps etc. Prices went stupid high (think primers).

This is an example of a canning pot, shop around:

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Cove...&hvtargid=pla-307956035489&psc=1
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
I’ll suggest not using homegrown flavorful tomatoes- unless they’re Roma.

Cooked salsa gets too sweet/rich when you use fresh delicious tomatoes. I specifically planted a bunch of Romas to make salsa with this year.

Also- when done cooking- add a fair amount of raw cilantro/minced jalapeño/green onion/red onion- or whatever flavor you’d like to be more prominent. Just made some last week.

If you like spice- us more peppers than you think you’d like as cooking the peppers dilutes the heat.

This is the ROUGH recipe I use- I cook it a lot longer and add more cilantro/garlic etc

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/restaurant-salsa/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: pullit Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Dang that looks good, and your helper looks like she is having a good time as well.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
With a clean paper towel dampened with a splash of tap water, wipe the rims of your jars prior to lidding. Don't overtighten the lids - finger tight is good.

We have had more jars fail to seal by forgetting to wipe the rims and over tightening than any other error.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Also, the dill pickle recipe in the Ball book makes the best home canned pickles I've ever eaten. Try the pickle recipe sometime.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
But you need to be careful just throwing in onions, cilantro, peppers etc if you are water bath canning. Those are low acid veggies vs a tomato which is high acid. You need the acidity to stay below 4.6. You’ll most likely add vinegar or lime/lemon juice. Follow proven recipes exactly and don’t deviate much
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canning Salsa - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
But you need to be careful just throwing in onions, cilantro, peppers etc if you are water bath canning. Those are low acid veggies vs a tomato which is high acid. You need the acidity to stay below 4.6. You’ll most likely add vinegar or lime/lemon juice. Follow proven recipes exactly and don’t deviate much

+1
Posted By: pullit Re: Canning Salsa - 09/24/21
Got my canning book and just canned 4 pint jars of salsa. Almost had enough for a 5th jar but just shy so that one went into the frig. I have almost used that one up already, which tells me I need to double the recipe next time because at this rate the 4 pints will not last that long.
Posted By: specialK Re: Canning Salsa - 09/25/21
I’ve done lots of salsa. I bring it to a low boil and then put it in sterile jars with the lid and ring on loosely. They will seal their self shortly. You can hear the lids pop in.
© 24hourcampfire