Home
Posted By: 43Shooter Halibut - 09/11/21
Halibut is really good on the table as long as my wife or I don't cook it. It's not bad but nothing great, usually kind of bland. I know it can be better than what we've cooked and everyone else says it's easy to cook well. Any can't fail suggestions on preparing or cooking appreciated.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Halibut - 09/11/21
Most fond of ours when deep fat fried. Chunks about the size of ice cubes. One may need to play with his spice mixture that goes into the breading mix.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Halibut - 09/11/21
I usually don't care much for fish, but I had halibut using this recipe and it was really good. https://www.finecooking.com/article/a-new-way-to-cook-fish-olive-oil-poaching
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Halibut - 09/11/21
Originally Posted by Remsen
I usually don't care much for fish, but I had halibut using this recipe and it was really good. https://www.finecooking.com/article/a-new-way-to-cook-fish-olive-oil-poaching

Great method.

Grilled hot and fast works well too.
Posted By: EdM Re: Halibut - 09/11/21
I grew up in a commercial fisherman's family and never cared for fish. It either tastes like nothing or like sardines. We brought home halibut from our Alaskan fishing trip this past summer. We are making tacos with it using cabbage mixed in a sauce I put together.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Halibut - 09/11/21
Ed- I admire your taste in cars and pistols.

Your taste in food however, is schit.

😆(just poking ya, Ed.)
Posted By: EdM Re: Halibut - 09/11/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ed- I admire your taste in cars and pistols.

Your taste in food however, is schit.

😆(just poking ya, Ed.)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Halibut - 09/12/21
Mortadella!

You’ve beeen resurrected!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Halibut - 09/12/21
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Halibut is really good on the table as long as my wife or I don't cook it. It's not bad but nothing great, usually kind of bland. I know it can be better than what we've cooked and everyone else says it's easy to cook well. Any can't fail suggestions on preparing or cooking appreciated.

S, P, and garlic on the fish. A smear (a schmear is ok) of Mayo, then bread crumbs. Bake until almost done. Never overcook.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Halibut - 09/12/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

S, P, and garlic on the fish. A smear (a schmear is ok) of Mayo, then bread crumbs. Bake until almost done. Never overcook.

Put that in foil. Add sliced onions, butter on the bottom. Seal foil. Cook on the grill. Zero fail.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Halibut - 09/14/21
You're correct, halibut is pretty bland and boring.
Deep fried is best.
Simply organic fish taco seasoning and shredded cabbage is pretty good
covered in crushed Ritz crackers and baked doesn't suck too bad.
Made into a sandwich spread works great for leftovers.

But like Mike said, don't overcook it.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Halibut - 09/14/21
Smoked is phenomenal!!!
Posted By: 805 Re: Halibut - 09/14/21
Halibut makes great fish tacos. We always make an avacado mango salsa and white fish sauce. Excellent!

Attached picture FC086A1B-81DA-4D24-9731-3D029ACF7685.jpeg
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: Halibut - 09/19/21
My favorite broiled fish. Haven’t had it in 20 years. Almost as good as breaded Lake Erie perch.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Halibut - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by Remsen

Sounds good, but what to do with that much fish infused olive oil when you're done?
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Halibut - 09/21/21
Breading it with potato flakes and baking it works really well
Posted By: K1500 Re: Halibut - 09/21/21
Beer batter and deep fry.
Posted By: JimInAK Re: Halibut - 09/21/21

Coated in mayo, Dijon mustard, and panko bread crumbs (w/ Parmesan cheese optional) - pan fried or baked.

Coated in pesto sauce and baked.

Poached in Thai coconut red curry sauce.

Pan fried or grilled with favorite taco seasoning for halibut tacos.

Halibut Olympia.

Crusted in macadamia nuts and lightly sauteed in butter.

As others have stated, DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Halibut - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Smoked is phenomenal!!!

I've also done it on some soaked wooden cedar planks on the grill. Gives it a very nice subtle smoke flavor.
Posted By: k80titus Re: Halibut - 09/22/21
Ginger, scallions, soy and fresh chili
Posted By: KillerBeee Re: Halibut - 09/27/21
Light rub with olive oil, sprinkle with light amount of Montreal steak seasoning. Grill or sear. Try topping with a mushroom gravy or any sauce you like. Most times, I don't do more than sear with the Montreal and eat with steamed asparagus, rice, and salad.
© 24hourcampfire