Home
Posted By: wabigoon Scones? - 09/17/21
I need to try them.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Scones? - 09/17/21
There was a youth group around here that sold a ready to use scone mix as a fund raiser.

They were really good.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Scones? - 09/17/21
The gals that started this little bakery biz made fantastic scones and cinnamon buns.

https://www.thebunontherun.com/

I kinda think I have their scone recipe here.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Scones? - 09/17/21
They’re a big thing around here.

I guess they are OK, if your into crumbly, kinda sweet biscuits.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Scones? - 09/17/21

My SIL makes them all the time. The orange/cranberry are really good.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Scones? - 09/17/21
Evnin, they shouldn't be crumbly. Flour, salt, baking powder, water. Fry in big cast skillet in oil. We make them to have with spaghetti sauce, or called Indian tacos with the same fixings, much better than wraps!!! Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scones? - 09/18/21
My feeble attempt is in the oven.
Posted By: white owl Re: Scones? - 10/01/21

Check this out. They say to make your scones without using butter, and instead, double-up on heavy cream. The problem with using butter is that you need to use cold butter, cut it into small chunks, and mix it into the flour, but it is difficult to get it incorporated into the mixture without either having it melt, or having it unevenly distributed throughout the mix:

https://food52.com/blog/23686-easy-cream-scones-recipe-no-butter-big-little-recipes
Posted By: nahma_mich Re: Scones? - 10/01/21
The cranberry/orange that they sell at Publix Backery are darn good.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scones? - 10/01/21
The China Doll makes them using a YouTube recipe. Not strictly authentic, more like a coffee cake, but dang good. It was a very good blueberry year, so we have lots for the scones.

Had one for First Breakfast, in fact.
Posted By: longarm Re: Scones? - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by white owl

The problem with using butter is that you need to use cold butter, cut it into small chunks, and mix it into the flour, but it is difficult to get it incorporated into the mixture without either having it melt, or having it unevenly distributed throughout the mix:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Scones? - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by longarm

The problem with using butter is that you need to use cold butter, cut it into small chunks, and mix it into the flour, but it is difficult to get it incorporated into the mixture without either having it melt, or having it unevenly distributed throughout the mix:

Perzactly Don !

Back of a large fork works in a pinch.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scones? - 10/01/21
Problem with butter?

Perish the thought. That’s like a problem with bacon!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scones? - 10/01/21
My wife can really bake, and she uses a fork.

I use a cutter just like that.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Scones? - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Perzactly Don !

Back of a large fork works in a pinch.

Put the stick of butter in the freezer for a bit, then use a box grater. Works great for biscuits.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scones? - 10/02/21

I have one of those that was my grandmother’s. Spring wire loops, wooden handle, and a thumbrest. She never made scones, but her Crisco piecrust was the best. She’d float the Crisco in a bowl of cold water to stiffen it up for cutting in. When the Wife started baking pies she used butter like the YouTubers. I finally got her a big can of Crisco and what a difference!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Scones? - 10/09/21
The ones I have had travelling were dry sweet bisquits with fruit in them. Not worth eating in my opinion. Never heard of anyone serving or eating them in the South
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scones? - 10/10/21
I'm trying to back off of breads, some.
© 24hourcampfire