Home
Posted By: Wannabebwana Round 2 of the pig roast - 09/19/21
You might remember the debacle from last year when the butcher sold my pig to someone else! Anyway, this year went to a different butcher and got a 56lb pig.

I didn’t want to use the huge rotisserie bbq from last year, so some searching on YouTube brought me to Asador bbq AKA the Argentine or Patagonian cross. I managed to rig up a contraption attached to my ATV jack, so I could raise or lower it. It worked fine, but was a bit unstable, so I’ll get something purpose-built by a welder next year (we’re planning to do lamb then).

Heat control is by building a big fire, and moving the coals close to the pig. Temp is determined by holding your hand by the pig. If you can hold it just 15 seconds, it’s hot enough. Less than that, too hot.

Anyway, it worked out great. We had about 40 people and everyone had a blast. Got so many compliments on the pig and all were very interested in the bbq method.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Round 2 of the pig roast - 09/19/21
Never seen a roasted pig stay so pink!
What temp did you cook the hams to?
I'm with Blake. What IT did you take it to?
160F. It was fine.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Round 2 of the pig roast - 09/19/21
Nice. Looks good, mine and most I’ve seen just get a bunch more color.

I’ve been wanting to brine a whole pig in a kiddie pool. 😀
Maybe next summer.
Yeah, I thought it should be darker, too, but I trust the thermometer more. And keep in mind I was rotating it 180 degrees, not constant slow turning.

I didn’t brine it, but was super tender and juicy. I mopped it regularly with this brine that I found on YouTube.

Posted By: beretzs Re: Round 2 of the pig roast - 09/19/21
Looks damned good! I love BBQ’ed done up like that. Nice work.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Round 2 of the pig roast - 09/20/21
I take them to 190-195*. You must have sliced it?
Yes. Sliced it and used loose meat for those who wanted pulled pork with sauce.
© 24hourcampfire