Home
Posted By: longarm Hot sauce - 09/29/21
This batch is habanero with peaches. Roasted garlic and onions, stewed carrots, lime juice, a bit of salt and vinegar. Pureed it all. Pretty good stuff!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Hot sauce - 09/29/21
Hmmmmm, love me some good sauce !
Posted By: longarm Re: Hot sauce - 09/29/21
Hey Paul, I'm doing another batch this weekend. Want to turn up the heat so will use a mix of habanero and Trinidad scorpion.
PM me an address and I'll overnight you a jar!
Dan
Posted By: rong Re: Hot sauce - 09/29/21
I enjoy good flavorful sauce.
Not as much fun if it burns twice.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Hot sauce - 09/29/21
I make hot sauce by the gallon. A number of different kinds. I love the stuff. Longarm's sauce sounds great
Posted By: pullit Re: Hot sauce - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by rong
I enjoy good flavorful sauce.
Not as much fun if it burns twice.

I like a good hot sauce as long as it has flavor, some are hot just to be hot (almost like "I bet you can't eat this").
Having said that Longarm, yours sounds like it may have a little sweet to the heat, am I right? I bet that would be good.
Posted By: longarm Re: Hot sauce - 09/30/21
pullit
Yep, it's a little sweet from the peaches and lime. Real good on chicken, nachos, etc
Dirt simple to make. I started with this recipe and tweeked it around to suit me
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.food.com/amp/recipe/belizean-style-habanero-sauce-hot-sauce-440697
Thanks I checked it out.
So I did not see anything about peaches in the recipe. Do you use fresh peaches, canned, or just peach juice and about how much of what kind?

Thinking I may try this
I had some in the freezer from earlier in the year. I think I used one and a half or two whole peaches. Honestly I think mango would be better, But peach was pretty darn good
thanks, I will see which of the 2 I can find at the store
Forgot to add, don't cook the fruit. That gets thrown in after with the habaneros, once the stewed carrots and such are cooled down and right before you puree the whole deal
Posted By: 805 Re: Hot sauce - 09/30/21
That’s looks amazing. Nice work.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Hot sauce - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by longarm
Hey Paul, I'm doing another batch this weekend. Want to turn up the heat so will use a mix of habanero and Trinidad scorpion.
PM me an address and I'll overnight you a jar!
Dan

Thanks for the kind offer Dan !

Send it to Ribka, to go with his shrooms n grouse !

Too far to get it here & I have a friend that small scale makes & sells via net & markets.

* Mango for the win !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hot sauce - 09/30/21
I need food that taste's bad, not good. I'm fat!!!!!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Hot sauce - 10/09/21
Sounds good.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hot sauce - 10/10/21
Sounds like a good sauce.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Hot sauce - 10/10/21
Started my home made hot sauce experiment today. Grew some hot wax and jalapeño peppers this summer, a project that started out a bit rough but my plants eventually persevered and made fruit. Chopped up a pound of chilis and put them in a jar, then covered them with a 5% brine. Will let them ferment for a while, then strain and make sauce. This thread inspired me to get after it!
Posted By: longarm Re: Hot sauce - 10/10/21
^ my buddy does the same. Claims it's the best. Must be pretty good as he eats all of it before I get a chance to try it..
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Hot sauce - 10/11/21
^ my buddy does the same. Claims it's the best. Must be pretty good as he eats all of it before I get a chance to try it..

From what I've read, fermenting the chilis helps deepen the flavor. Plus, I like fermenting stuff! I'm not sure what else I'm going to add to the peppers to make the sauce,I'm thinking of keeping it simple and just putting in some garlic, lime juice and asian pear puree for some sweetness. Also started a new batch of sauerkraut this weekend.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Hot sauce - 10/22/21
This is the recipe I have been using since the late nineties for a sauce similar to longarm's

Mango Madness
Sam’s Habanera Sauce

6 to 12 Habanera peppers, stems off, cut into quarters, with seeds
One large white onion sliced thin, course chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and fine diced
One lemon, zested, juiced..
3/4 pound of carrots, grated. I use the grater in the food processor
Flesh of four ripe mangos. I cut the stem tip off, then peel the Mango, Set the fruit on the cutting board, and slice the sides off. Then with a paring knife, cut the rest of the flesh off, down to the seed.
Salt to taste, you don't need much
Two cups White Wine Vinegar
One cup water
Mango nectar, one quart or liter bottle. I add part of that to the pot when cooking, and reserve the rest. Add most after the sauce is ready to for the blender, but hold some back in case you need to thin out the sauce. You want catsup like consistency.

In a heavy, non reactive pan, heat the sauce on medium for 45 min, or less. don't cook at full boil. Gently boil. Cook until the peppers are soft..

In batches, place the Sauce in a blender, and process until smooth. I run it on high speed for a minute.
Strain. I pour the pureed sauce into a sieve over a large bowl. I use a rubber spatula to gently press the sauce, forcing the liquid to fall into the bowl. I discard the remaining solids.

Cool, and bottle.
Posted By: longarm Re: Hot sauce - 10/27/21
Made another batch tonight, incorporated Paul and Sam's suggestions.
Roasted the carrot and onion, did not roast the garlic. Used a blend of both peaches and mango.
The biggest difference was a three pepper blend of habanero , Trinidad scorpion and ghost chili.
It's pretty smoking hot, but the flavor is awesome!
Posted By: pullit Re: Hot sauce - 10/27/21

The biggest difference was a three pepper blend of habanero , Trinidad scorpion and ghost chili.
It's pretty smoking hot

Made my eyes burn just reading that
© 24hourcampfire