Home
Posted By: wabigoon Eating Cattails? - 10/05/21
Ever try them?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/05/21
Still got the scars!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/05/21
Those are wild corn dogs, aren't they? Tried one once. No amount of mustard made it edible.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/05/21
Pussy willows taste like chicken.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/06/21
Hmmm, they don't taste like pu...?
Posted By: longarm Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/06/21
I've eaten the young shoots and they are pretty good. The company at the time may have influenced my opinion..
Posted By: erich Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/06/21
I've eaten the young spring shoots also, quite good, much like asparagus.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/09/21
The roots are really good - basically a wild potato. During my time on the staff of the AF Survival School, I always appreciated my time in the woods at Cusick. I had my private cattail patches to dig roots and cook them. The heads of the stalks can be ground into a sort of flour and a flat bread made from it. I always found it a bit wanting for taste, but one could survive on it. Here in NE Washington, the camas is the same way - the roots collected and ground for a flour to make bread. Only one problem is that there is a white camas and a blue camas - one is deadly poison, the other tastes pretty darn good. The Indians named the white camas the "death camas", and the only way to tell them apart is when they are flowering. Sorry I got a little long.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/11/21
Anyone who’s eaten in a Chinese joint has likely eaten not just the tails, but the rest of the cat as well.

Even the Chinese joke about it….
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/11/21
If you likes to eat cattails, you gonna think you died and went to heaven when you try some fried chiggum!!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/11/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Anyone who’s eaten in a Chinese joint has likely eaten not just the tails, but the rest of the cat as well.

Even the Chinese joke about it….

From an old Richard Prior Comedy Album

“You order schitt, you eat schitt! “ 😬
Posted By: Steve Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/12/21
Ate 'em in Boy Sprouts for my survival merit badge. The roots. That was enough.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/13/21
Cat isn't bad, you know. White meat. If you go to Mexico and have street food, just remember that "taco" spelled backwards is "O...cat!"
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/13/21
Dad taught us to light a cattail for lighting fireworks. They would burn long and slow. We called them punks.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Eating Cattails? - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Pussy willows taste like chicken.

Yeah but if you plant pussy willows next to dîck weed you will have a bunch of cumquats to deal with later! 🤦🏻‍♂️
© 24hourcampfire