Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Wiener, frankfurter, hot dog, tube steak, what do you like best?

I'm enjoying a Ballpark on whole wheat bread with yellow mustard, two slices of tomato.
Posted By: 805 Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Hebrew national or Costco brand is what I always buy.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Boars Head, all beef, natural casing.
Posted By: GregW Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Elk or venison bratwurst....

Buying chemical BS meats from the store is now beneath me and it tastes nasty too after not eating it for a while. You can taste the cancer...

Yeah, I'm rude.. grin...
Posted By: Milkfever Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Linguica!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Nathans or Hebrew National. Bun length.
Mustard and dill relish, sometimes sauerkraut, NEVER KETCHUP.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nathans or Hebrew National. Bun length.
Mustard and dill relish, sometimes sauerkraut, NEVER KETCHUP.

This. Once and a while a chili dog.
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Kogel's Viennas. Accessorize to your hearts content. (I prefer Flint style coney sauce, onions and mustard)
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Whatever is handy.

I do not prefer eating ground up chicken bones....but will if i have to.

Mustard and ketchup mostly.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Not a weiner fan.

My wife on the other hand....
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Just don’t boil them.
This space reserved for math man and 5sdad.

Velveeta is a statistical impossibility.

My house parties are not well attended.

......MathMan.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Just don’t boil them.

You ever cut them in half and broil them?

Thats how mom always cooked them.

I like a boiled hot dog.
Don’t you like catsoup on them too? 😁
Yes I do.

Hunts Ketchup.

None of that Heinz schit.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Commercially made, Vienna All-Beef.

Locally, Stoyisch.

I like 'em Chicago-style, but will go with just sauerkraut and brown mustard if I'm in a hurry.

I do like to drizzle the juice from a sport pepper on them, but don't care to actually eat a sport pepper.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Boars head beef franks.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Use to be what you guys are saying......till I found..... https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.960560513.html ......about a buck a dog , found them about 7 months ago..ran into a fellow I know he said the same thing. Dam good eats! 100% beef and nothing else.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nathans or Hebrew National.

Both highly over rated.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Eckrich Skinless Smoked Sausage grilled, pan fried, or broiled smokin’ hot; a really fresh and soft hoagie roll split lengthwise, still warm would be best; and a bunch of mustard.
Posted By: mathman Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Eckrich, pffft! Goes well with that weak ass "beer" you love. grin
Posted By: antlers Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
It also goes good with Velveeta Shells & Cheese.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
I usually buy Dietz & Watson New York style natural casing franks. That's the only "deli style" frank I can get at my local Kroger. Otherwise I'll get Hebrew National or Nathan's if that's all they have.

I serve with Edmund Fallot dijon mustard and sweet relish.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The Best Frank? - 10/17/21
Not all-beef.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Best Frank? - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Use to be what you guys are saying......till I found..... https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.960560513.html ......about a buck a dog , found them about 7 months ago..ran into a fellow I know he said the same thing. Dam good eats! 100% beef and nothing else.

If this post didn't put a stop the chitty dogs nothing well....let's circle around boys...
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: The Best Frank? - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Holy chit Batman!

$11.50 for 2 pound! $5.75/# for Puss Puppies?

Can buy a Strip primal for less than that.
Ribeye primals aren't much over that..
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: The Best Frank? - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Not all-beef.

Lips, peckers and azzholes are all the same whether beef, chicken or pork.
Posted By: Scotty Re: The Best Frank? - 10/18/21
I like Costco beef hotdogs.
Posted By: Ruger4Life Re: The Best Frank? - 10/18/21
F*ck all “Franks” or wieners. They are all elongated Vienna sausages. If I have a hotdog bun, I’ll Always fill it with some kind of grilled/smoked spicy/Cajun sausage. There is no alternative for me
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: The Best Frank? - 10/18/21
If you live near one or can have them delivered- Von Hansen's old-fashioned or 1/4lb all-beefs are the best I know of. Apparently these are what hotdogs are supposed to taste like... to me they beat Ted's, Nathans, Hebrews etc. Until I discovered the Von Hanson's I never thought I would like / look forward to eating hotdogs as an adult. Though the Boar's head mentioned above... haven't had them but I have never been disappointed by any of their products. Dang, now I need to do a side-by-side cookoff next weekend for comparison!
Posted By: CWT Re: The Best Frank? - 10/19/21
Famous Bright Leaf Hot Dogs from Carolina Packers.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The Best Frank? - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by antlers
It also goes good with Velveeta Shells & Cheese.

That stuff aint bad.

Especially with a little Sriracha.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: The Best Frank? - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by CWT
Famous Bright Leaf Hot Dogs from Carolina Packers.

Love them.

Don't ever visit them. Could ruin your Hot Dog experience.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Best Frank? - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Esteban325
If you live near one or can have them delivered- Von Hansen's old-fashioned or 1/4lb all-beefs are the best I know of. Apparently these are what hotdogs are supposed to taste like... to me they beat Ted's, Nathans, Hebrews etc. Until I discovered the Von Hanson's I never thought I would like / look forward to eating hotdogs as an adult. Though the Boar's head mentioned above... haven't had them but I have never been disappointed by any of their products. Dang, now I need to do a side-by-side cookoff next weekend for comparison!

These ? https://shopvonhansons.com/product/old-fashioned-skin-on-weiners/
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Best Frank? - 10/25/21
Posted By: IA_fog Re: The Best Frank? - 10/27/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Wiener, frankfurter, hot dog, tube steak, what do you like best?

I'm enjoying a Ballpark on whole wheat bread with yellow mustard, two slices of tomato.

None do you have any clue what’s in them?
Now homemade brats I can do and like
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The Best Frank? - 10/27/21
I've seen them made. I cut trim that went into them. I eat them all the time. Guys in the plant (so I'm told) would sneak some from the line, conceal them in the pouch on their hooded sweatshirts (real hooded sweatshirts - pull-overs - not the ridiculous imitations that zip), and break off pieces to eat. Sometimes they would even cook them in the knife sterilizers.
Posted By: Rob96 Re: The Best Frank? - 10/27/21
Costco/Kirkland, Deitz & Watson or Berks Jalapeno Cheddar dogs.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: The Best Frank? - 11/10/21
Aye, those be them @atvalaska.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: The Best Frank? - 11/10/21
I have had none better. Not a basic hotdog, but a jalapeno cheddar sausage. Simmer until hot, then finish over charcoal or a wood fire. Spicy mustard. Can't be beat.

Opa's Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage link
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: The Best Frank? - 11/10/21
Any kind, anywhere, even gas station "roller" dogs. Given druthers, I'll take a natural casing pork dog every time, grilled. On a steamed bun with mustard. Optional condiments include relish or 'kraut. Simple is better. None of those "Chicago" dog piles of stuff designed to hide the dog.

I don't care what meat they put in 'em. Meat is meat.
Posted By: Pugs Re: The Best Frank? - 11/10/21
My wife's a Rhode Islander and swears by https://saugys.com/about-us

It's a German Style dog and I think has a significant amount of veal in them. In general I'm not a hot dog fan but these are pretty good.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: The Best Frank? - 11/17/21
So I finally got around to that showdown between VonHanson Old Fashioned, VonHanson All-Beef 1/4 lb, and Boar's head. I think the VH all-beefs were the best. It is hard to beat them because it tastes like the meat is aged or partially fermented. The VH OF's were second. Pleasant, nice snap from the casing and coarse grind meat, decent seasoning nothing to complain about. The BH were an excellent example of the art but they just didn't offer much that stood out head-and-shoulders over what you typically get. They had the typical hot dog flavor like Nathans or Ted's which surprised me... I though they would be different. Very nice bun-lengths I will give them that. I wish I could test the others but they either aren't distributed here or are too pricey to ship.

One dog I forgot to recommend that is easy to overlook is the Bar-S 1/4 lb all-beefs. Those are quite nice with a bit of cayenne bite which surprised me. I wish the VH ones would be spicy like these... that would be perfect, best yet. Anyways I hope this helps those who appreciate things done well regardless of whether simple or complex.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: The Best Frank? - 11/17/21
Hoffmans were left out?
Posted By: FishinHank Re: The Best Frank? - 11/17/21
What about Zweigles?
Posted By: gunzo Re: The Best Frank? - 11/18/21
A semi local sausage company, whose sausage is my fave BTW, offers a Brat & a Garlic frank that I love. Both can be hard to find at times & maybe that's part of the allure.

The garlic frank can be boiled & I like it on a fresh bun with plain yellow mustard.

The Brat is best with a light char of the skin over an open flame with spicy brown mustard.

Slummin is a pork, turkey chicken wiener from a big, long time Cincinnati cold cut maker, Kahns.

Had chilidogs, proper ones IMO, for supper tonight.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Best Frank? - 11/18/21
Update I have dogs coming from MN and 3 from chitcargo I will know more about dogs then Biden knows little kids...
© 24hourcampfire