Home
Posted By: wabigoon Liver? - 11/23/21
Like it, or not like it? All kinds of liver.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
Deep fried chicken livers done right are superb. Beef or deer liver ? I can eat it and like it but it’s far from my first choice.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
Deer liver was the treat from the first deer in camp when I was growing up. Still like it, specially with mashed potatoes and gravy, but cold liver sandwiches with a big slab of onion is to die for, I have found that marinating it in milk really does ease the taste a bit.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
I like it, too. Years ago I had kidney from a fawn. Very nice. Later on kidney from an a older roe deer doe. I didn't like it. But my alltime favorite is heart.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
I could eat liver for breakfast lunch and dinner. Like Delta said, soak it in milk for a while. After that I like to coat in flour and throw it in a hot frying pan with smoking hot EVOO.

Works best with 1/2" slices
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
Like it a lot. Venison is the best, but beef is ok too.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Liver? - 11/23/21

Chicken livers and hearts with onions, salt and red pepper seeds sautéed in olive oil and some dry white wine.
One of my favorites.
Posted By: antlers Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
I’m not eating organs of detoxification.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Liver? - 11/23/21
I like it fried with a lot onions,then when just about done, throw a can of drained peas in with it and cook until they are browned just a bit.
However, organ meats like liver,heart,kidneys are about the worse thing a person can eat if they have high cholesterol.I treat myself to it once a year if I kill an elk

I like beef calf liver and elk liver, not pork, and it has to be fresh,not frozen
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
No way in hell

Tried it a few times.

No way in hell

One of the few foods that makes me gag
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Calf or deer. Dipped in milk/flour then fried in bacon grease with onions. Little more flour to make pan gravy.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Love it. Can't eat it now. Tough on my kidneys.
Posted By: EdM Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Nope.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Someone aks Roger how the Mexicans eat liver.

Never hear about that.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Beef.

Pork in puddin and scrapple.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
I love deer liver and heart. Chicken livers are excellent eating. Beef liver and onions is very good.
Posted By: RCflash Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
enjoy liver n onions or with bacon. as long as its not overcooked to dryness/toughness.

One of my all-time fav meals: Lot of years ago. Headwaters of the Shields River in Montana. Second day of our elk hunt. Robert shot a young spike bull. Brought a big chunk of liver back to camp. Ted sliced it bout 1/2 inch thick. Almost filled a large cast iron frying pan. Cooked it slowly on cool heat in bacon grease with sliced onions. The liver was tender & not dry.

The 4 of us ate the Liver n onions with whole kernal corn, boiled potatoes, buttered bread. Finished with hot sugary tea. There were no leftovers.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
I never met a liver I didn't like . I eat chicken livers like most folks eat popcorn. I deep fry them and dose them with Tobasco . Liver is best cooked just enough so that it is still pinkish but not bloody . Calf and pork liver gets a coat of flour with a bit of salt and pepper then fried with some sweet onion . My favorite meal is pork liver with onions , spinich with plenty of apple cider vinegar, mashed potatoes, boiled eggs , and plenty of corn bread . Yeah, I got high cholesterol but I try not to let it interfere with my eating .
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Chiken livers are ok. Pork and beef I hate
Posted By: 99in22_250 Re: Liver? - 11/24/21
Negative, it's a toxin filter, Have no interest in eating a filter.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Liver? - 11/25/21
Love it, especially deer liver.
Lightly browned, then water just to cover, add onions, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Mashed potatoes, peas, corn…….good vittles men!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Liver? - 11/25/21
Love it, but as mentioned above, I allow myself that pleasure only rarely.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Liver? - 11/27/21
I keep trying and keep not liking it, the recipes are making me want to try it only to be disappointed again. My girlfriends mom begs me for any I get she makes a pate out of it. I will also dry it out for my dogs for snacks
Posted By: hanco Re: Liver? - 11/27/21
I get it at Luby’s when I eat there, with onions and cabbage
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Liver? - 11/27/21
Venison and pork in that order.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Liver? - 11/29/21
I like beef and deer, love pork liver. Buttermilk soak, Dust with flour/salt/pepper mix. Cook cast iron with bacon grease. Chop half the onions up tiny and let them cook down in the bacon grease for a good while before you put the liver in. Put the other half of the onion in after the liver. Don't overcook it. Little Mom and Pop up the road makes superb L&O.
Posted By: pullit Re: Liver? - 11/29/21
Hate liver, when I was a kid mom cooked it, and after sitting at the table for over and hour (I could not leave until I ate the liver) she told me "if you don't eat it, I'm going to whip you". I got up and got the paddle and handed it to her and told her "we could have gotten this over with a long time ago".....
Posted By: martin1011 Re: Liver? - 01/12/22
I wonder does anyone know what a liver Fluke is?? if you eat deer liver you probably ate one. Best to remove them before eating. The Choice is yours.

Liver fluke
Liver fluke is a collective name of a polyphyletic group of parasitic trematodes under the phylum Platyhelminthes. They are principally parasites of the liver of various mammals, including humans. Capable of moving along the blood circulation, they can occur also in bile ducts, gallbladder, and liver parenchyma.Wikipedia
Posted By: pullit Re: Liver? - 01/12/22
no organs for me.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Liver? - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by 99in22_250
Negative, it's a toxin filter, Have no interest in eating a filter.

Yep, so are oysters. I like both.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Liver? - 01/12/22
Tame rabbit livers are the best.

Just not enough of em to go around when my bud has a feed.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Liver? - 01/12/22
Wife and I went to a little breakfast nook a while back, the decor was plain but the food was upscale and good, and not too pricey. There was a sign on the wall behind the counter that said, "Liver and Onions. $250.00" Figured the owner either loved it or hated it, couldn't figure out which. Fresh elk liver has a good taste and texture to me. Beef liver not so much. Ugh.
Posted By: deer1 Re: Liver? - 01/18/22
Love it floured and fried in bacon grease.
© 24hourcampfire