Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cornbread. - 12/06/21
Bacon bits in it.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cornbread. - 12/07/21
That's good. We use bacon grease as our fat in cornbread, so has plenty of flavor.

Oh and no sugar.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cornbread. - 12/07/21
Brown sugar, just a weetadbit.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cornbread. - 12/09/21
Like many things, there are many, many ways to make cornbread - only the one a person favors is correct.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Sugar . . . SUGAR ???

That is corn cake or johnny cake.

Fat of choice seems like a plan.

May try the bacon drippings . . . . the world is better due to bacon and bacon drippings.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Like many things, there are many, many ways to make cornbread - only the one a person favors is correct.

Yes.

Sweet cornbread balances nicely with the beans in my chili.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Very nice! Not very common in Germany because the wartime generation didn't like the way they tried to make cornbread when the Americans supplied them with corn meal after the war. They tried to bake it like they used to make wheat or rye bread. Bad idea. It didn't taste like normal bread and didn't have the same texture. And they didn't have lard, butter or eggs to make it promperly. And the younger generation sometimes isn't able to see beyond their own noses and try something new.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pullit Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Around my area, if you put sugar in cornbread it was called cake....
I can take it or leave it
I have not met too many pieces of cornbread I did not like....not a big fan of the cornbread where they dump whole kernel corn in the mix, but I can get around that to.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yes.

Sweet cornbread balances nicely with the beans in my chili.

Let us not forget finishing up with a glass of whiskey containing ice.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
"The North thinks it knows how to make cornbread, but this is a gross superstition. Perhaps no bread in the world is quite as good as Southern corn bread, and perhaps no bread in the world is quite as bad as the Northern imitation of it.". Mark Twain
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
"The North thinks it knows how to make cornbread, but this is a gross superstition. Perhaps no bread in the world is quite as good as Southern corn bread, and perhaps no bread in the world is quite as bad as the Northern imitation of it.". Mark Twain

Agree. But, not all Southern cornbread qualifies as being "good." Had some at a restaurant in Murray KY. yesterday that wouldn't have qualified for being fit to feed a dog. It was about as poor excuse for cornbread as I've ever had. On the flip side, my wife fixed some for lunch which was so good that I could have eaten it and nothing else.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21
Mark Twain died before the sorry state of affairs with industrial corn meal struck the South. Our neighbors to the north seem to think wheat flour belongs in cornbread. This is a mistake that has spread like cancer as the years and business of food has changed.

If you start with what passes for corn meal, generally, you naturally want to help it. If you start with stone ground corn meal from fully ripe whole kernel corn, you start with it all there already.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cornbread. - 12/10/21

This is the Campfire. When it comes to food, there is no freedom of opinion or choice.
Posted By: blanket Re: Cornbread. - 12/11/21
Best cornbread I ever had was cooked by the wife of a maintenance man from our plant in Chester VA , worst was south of the mason/Dixon line
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cornbread. - 12/11/21

This is the Campfire. When it comes to food, there is no freedom of opinion or choice.

[img]https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e00bbd545111effb549031a78104f373[/img]
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21
Wife and I love it………but dislike it plain. We make cornbread cake that contains honey, oil, butter, and eggs. Never had anyone sit at our table who didn’t like it. We also actually own a TV and watch it a few hours a day.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Wife and I love it………but dislike it plain. We make cornbread cake that contains honey, oil, butter, and eggs. Never had anyone sit at our table who didn’t like it. We also actually own a TV and watch it a few hours a day.

Best be careful there - if you admit that you use some mayo other than Duke's, it will be three strikes and you're out. wink
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21

Heresy, I know... A box of Jiffy, made according to directions, with the addition of 1/3 cup of real maple syrup.
If this keeps up they're going to run out of stakes and bundles of [bleep].
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21
Wilford Brimley called....

Y'all make cake. It's popular in soul food restaurants that don't serve pone.

Wokeness strikes again! Think bundles of sticks.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21

Wokeness strikes again! Think bundles of sticks.

Cornbread, Smornbread.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21
Buy and follow the White Lilly cornmeal corn bread recipe. Most important part is to heat oven and then put your cast iron skillet with a quarter of a cup of oil in it to pre heat. When temp is right pull it out and pour in your mix. I do a minute or 2 less than called for.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Cornbread. - 12/12/21
I like the Jiffy boxed cornbread cooked like pancakes and covered with butter and maple also eggs
Posted By: pullit Re: Cornbread. - 12/13/21
Originally Posted by charleeontop
I like the Jiffy boxed cornbread cooked like pancakes and covered with butter and maple also eggs

don't know what that is but that aint cornbread......
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Cornbread. - 12/13/21

Yep, I use it like that too at times. They took the recipe off the box a few years ago,but you add a tbl spoon of oil to what they say for muffins
I don't get all wrapped up in this gourmet cooking,but it makes decent cornbread topped with honey when served with ham and beans
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: Cornbread. - 12/13/21
Watching yankees discuss cornbread is priceless.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by pullit

Have you tried it?
Any cornbread recepie, instead of baking fry (in bacon grease) like pancakes.
It still raises and is cornbread.
The box makes about 10 6" pancakes.
I eat a couple for breakfast the rest in a plastic bag and use with anything fried chicken ect. I have used to make ham and cheese sandwitches. only emagination to stop you. Is not that what food or cooking is?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Best be careful there - if you admit that you use some mayo other than Duke's, it will be three strikes and you're out. wink

Shoot me now. I’m a Miracle Whip fan:)
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
I'm with Twain. Corn cake isn't cornbread.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
So, sugar in the mix, syrup on top, the difference? laugh
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, sugar in the mix, syrup on top, the difference? laugh

No syrup. Just salted butter.
Posted By: pullit Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by pullit

Have you tried it?
Any cornbread recepie, instead of baking fry (in bacon grease) like pancakes.
It still raises and is cornbread.
The box makes about 10 6" pancakes.
I eat a couple for breakfast the rest in a plastic bag and use with anything fried chicken ect. I have used to make ham and cheese sandwitches. only emagination to stop you. Is not that what food or cooking is?

No, I have not tried it but being from the south, I would not want anyone seeing me do it either..lol
Only things I put on cornbread are butter and or BBQ.
Now you can put cornbread in beans, and in buttermilk, and that is ok in the south.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
Fill a tall glass with crumpled cornbread, add a little sugar and fill with cold milk

That’s breakfast
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21

Sounds good to me. When I make pancakes, I add cornmeal.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Cornbread. - 12/14/21
This is not cornbread though cornmeal is an ingredient. They are a local delicacy served as pancakes and also as cornbread. Right edible dipped in pot liquor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cornbread. - 12/15/21
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Fill a tall glass with crumpled cornbread, add a little sugar and fill with cold milk

That’s breakfast

As long as it's real milk and not (shudder) buttermilk.
© 24hourcampfire