Home
Just that?
I do S&P, lil garlic salt, smoke for a couple hours, crank er up to 300 or so, get to temp, let rest, hammer down. 👍
It’ll look something like this Jerry

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Judman
I do S&P, lil garlic salt, smoke for a couple hours, crank er up to 300 or so, get to temp, let rest, hammer down. 👍

About the same here. Coat it with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and whatever else you like. I seat it for 2 minutes on each side, chuck it on the Traeger at 250 degrees until it hits 130-132 internal. Pull it, have a beer, cut it, eat.

JMan, it’s amazing how hungry I am after seeing that picture.
It is a good picture. Hungry here.
😂😂😂 god damn I know it!!
My favorite is bone-in, room temp... your own spice prep sprinkled on the roast which is rubbed with butter, preheat oven to 500deg, weigh the roast on an accurate scale...let's say it's 7.25 lbs...multiply 7.25lbs X 5 minutes = 36 minutes. So put your roast in quickly, let it cook at 500 for 36 min....then turn off the heat, DO NOT even think about opening the door and let it sit for exactly 2 hours. Pull it out, don't need to stand, it's been standing. Ready to serve. If you put a meat thermometer in it when it comes out, it will read 132 deg...without fail. It's a 75 dollar piece of meat...and if you are nervous go to you tube food wishes, Chef John. The downside is it ties up the oven...the wife wants the oven...to hell with her, have her put her trimmings in the RV oven in the barn.
Cowboy Kent Rollins did something like that in a video and man it looked good.
Montreal Steak, Sea Salt, Garlic salt, Rosemary and Thyme. Preheat oven to 450. Cook 15 min at 450. turn down to 325 15 min. per pound
Rub on in this order - S&P, beef bouillon powder, dijon mustard and a good coating of Montreal Steak Spice. Cover in plastic wrap and let marinate in fridge for 3 days.

Take out 2 hours before you start so it can warm to room temp. Preheat oven to 400F, cook for 1 hour, then reduce heat to 300F and cook until your desired internal temp. Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and let rest 20-30 before slicing.
Awesome bunch of recipes.
I must say that I have been very pleased with how a sous vide will make the entire thing to the exact temperature you specify with the added bonus of flavor penetration.
I would wager that the best prime rib would realistically be sous-vide (careful, this takes a large pot and powerful unit, plus sealing equipment), then placed in a low-set oven or rotisserie so as to develop more dried / bark-like outer layer.
Lately I have rushed mine from sous-vide to a very hot oven in a pan but I think it overdoes the outer layer. BTW very nice examples above.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

What was your method of cook?

Looks perfect!
Pretty hard to mess one up as long as you use a thermometer to tell you what the temperature is inside the beast. I've done all this stuff at one time or another and am not convinced that any of it is necessary or that one method is better than another. I kinda go by what I have time to accomplish and how the schedule will work (My wife plays the organ at church and so is meeting a multi service schedule on Christmas Eve, for example). If I'm home all day, I'll use a longer method. If I'm jammed for time, I just roast it until 135-140 in the middle.

The thermometer is @#(&$#-ing critical. I wouldn't mess with a $20 piece of meat without one. A $200 piece of meat, no way. Use a thermometer.
HEY....poke about a dozen holes in the rib roast a bout half way thru ( all over.... about a inch apart / each 1/4 will bleed / taste up about 3/ inch around the clove).......cut ..quarter up skinless garlic.
Stuff in hole with wooden spoon.....cut salt pork into 3/16th to 1/4 strings 2 inch long and cork the garlic holes shut ....use what u use as your favorite rub........roast away.... if you think what you been making over the years is good .......wait till u eat one done >My way....

Originally Posted by BKinSD
I just roast it until 135-140 in the middle.

The thermometer is @#(&$#-ing critical. I wouldn't mess with a $20 piece of meat without one. A $200 piece of meat, no way. Use a thermometer.

yet you ruin it and cook to 140 degrees?
125 degrees let rest 15 min
I decided I like the reverse sear best.
Originally Posted by RickBin

U can do that ...but do like I was saying ...u only live once , mite as well eat the best ya can .
Best we’ve done is rock salt encrusted.

yep, that works well
Pull at 120, hold the horseradish… never understood why folks ruin the best piece of meat in the world with horseradish… enjoy the flavor of great beef
Originally Posted by ribka

yep, that works well

Yes sir. My fave as well.

225 or so until its 120ish. Pull and let sit on the counter for a bit (hour-ish) tented with foil.

Crank oven to 500 or 550, back in until nice crust forms. Takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

Cant imagine cramming garlic in it would suck. Might have to try it this year!
Originally Posted by atvalaska
HEY....poke about a dozen holes in the rib roast a bout half way thru ( all over.... about a inch apart / each 1/4 will bleed / taste up about 3/ inch around the clove).......cut ..quarter up skinless garlic.
Stuff in hole with wooden spoon.....cut salt pork into 3/16th to 1/4 strings 2 inch long and cork the garlic holes shut ....use what u use as your favorite rub........roast away.... if you think what you been making over the years is good .......wait till u eat one done >My way....

That sounds easy enough and damned good as well! I'll be giving that a shot sooner rather than later!
Originally Posted by Judman
Pull at 120, hold the horseradish… never understood why folks ruin the best piece of meat in the world with horseradish… enjoy the flavor of great beef

Agreed, I love Horseradish, but no need for good beef. I won't say it isn't good but it isn't needed.
Best piece of PR I ever had, the fat would still crumble.....

All it needs is salt and pepper, maybe au jus....
Garlic cloves ain’t bad. I just like simple and let the meat speak for itself. 👍
Prime rib is a interesting cut of beef. I usually hate eating beef cooked past medium rare yet the end piece of a prime rib roast is often the best bite on it.
Like most roasts, smoke is best.
Salt it the day before and let it set in the fridge uncovered.

Then just use a little black pepper and roast the stupid thing.

Pull early and rest some. It will continue cooking so dont pull it at your desired doneness temp.

About 5 to 10 degrees before.
Originally Posted by ribka
yep, that works well

This.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pull early and rest some. It will continue cooking so dont pull it at your desired doneness temp.
About 5 to 10 degrees before.

And this.

To add in fridge for 7 days open air before cooking covered in cheese cloth.

Here it is.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sous Vide then sear less brown around the edges
Ours.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ours.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Crockpot?
No, in Dutch oven, covered with foil.
We've been using the sous vide method mainly for the convenience of having it ready when everything else is served. The day before the planned dinner, I season and put it on the pellet grill till the internal approaches 100 then cool and vacuum bag it. The day it's consumed it goes in a 132* water bath 4+ hours before it's served. Doesn't matter how long it's in the water, it's always the perfect doneness when sliced
Perhaps we should start a 'How Not to do a Prime Rib Roast' thread
It was, and is, delicious.
Prime rib turned out awesome, though a bit overdone for Slavyanka). The Yorkshire pudding wasn’t as puffy as I’d like, but I’ll take a 9/10 for dinner.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Looks Great!!
© 24hourcampfire