Home
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
Im certain it has been discussed but a quick use of the search feature didnt yield much. I got a chance to use my cousins pellet grill while visiting him last month.
One would suit my needs. So what brands are good to buy?
Posted By: chris_c Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
I have green mountain and like it, brother has camp chef a little easier to clean
Posted By: specialK Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
I have green mountain
Posted By: pullit Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
I don't own one, but if I did I would buy a Camp Chief
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
I got a camp chef, it works fine. Doing a brisket with it on Xmas
Posted By: beretzs Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
I have two of the Traegers. I got one in Dec of 15, I think it is called the 780 or something like that. It has been flawless for years and still works awesome, never a problem from it, when I got married this year my buddies got me the Timberline 1300, great unit as well, with the wifi it's a tiny bit easier to control if you're out running around. Other friends have RecTec's and Yoders which are both high quality units as well. I honestly wouldn't mind if I had to keep using the older Traeger I got years ago. Does just as well as the newer one and was less than 1/2 as much. At the end of the day, you're smoking meat and most of them do real good. The newer Timberline will go to 500 degrees so you get a touch better sear on a steak and it is sealed better, but not enough that I'd spend the money, if it was mine for it. Scotty
Posted By: JGray Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
I have the small and medium size Green Mountain grills. They work well for smoking and do a good job with burgers, brats, etc. IMO, they're mediocre on steaks because they don't get hot enough for a good sear. I've worked around that by smoking them at low temps for the flavor, and pulling them at 100-110 deg internal temp to finish with butter in a smoking hot cast iron skillet with results like this:.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If starting over, I'd buy this Recteq for $400 - it will go to 750 deg which should do a good job for searing:

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-b380-wood-pellet-grill

Posted By: beretzs Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
Originally Posted by JGray
I have the small and medium size Green Mountain grills. They work well for smoking and do a good job with burgers, brats, etc. IMO, they're mediocre on steaks because they don't get hot enough for a good sear. I've worked around that by smoking them at low temps for the flavor, and pulling them at 100-110 deg internal temp to finish with butter in a smoking hot cast iron skillet.

Man, it looks like you nailed it!
Posted By: JGray Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
Thanks! It's kind of tricky timing everything so they aren't over cooked...
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
Skip the pellets...the pet rock of BBQ imo... ...take the hight road wink https://www.chargriller.com/products/char-griller-gravity-fed-9800-charcoal-grill
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
ATV does it work in the winter here in Alaska?
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
Camp Chef Woodwind Series......
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Pellet Grill - 12/21/21
Cookshack FEC100 or Yoder for me. Others need not apply.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Pellet Grill - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by JGray
I have the small and medium size Green Mountain grills. They work well for smoking and do a good job with burgers, brats, etc. IMO, they're mediocre on steaks because they don't get hot enough for a good sear. I've worked around that by smoking them at low temps for the flavor, and pulling them at 100-110 deg internal temp to finish with butter in a smoking hot cast iron skillet with results like this:.

If starting over, I'd buy this Recteq for $400 - it will go to 750 deg which should do a good job for searing:

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-b380-wood-pellet-grill

I use this in my green mountain. Lots of sear
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Pellet Grill - 12/22/21
Yup... gravity feed..no moving parts.....
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Pellet Grill - 12/22/21
ATV does it work get hot enough in AK winter temps?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Pellet Grill - 12/22/21
I have a Pit Boss that has worked very good for me. It's simple to use, easy to clean, and does not overpower the food with smoke like the Bradley I used prior.
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Pellet Grill - 12/22/21
Ditto the Pit Boss!
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Pellet Grill - 12/22/21
Posted By: yeselk Re: Pellet Grill - 12/26/21
I have and like a Pit Boss
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: Pellet Grill - 12/27/21
Got the Camp Chef because IFA had them on sale (I'm in Utah). Did not spring for the WiFi feature. Figured I could give the pellet thing a try at significantly lower investment than buying a Traeger. I am very happy with it but as mentioned above, it is not my first choice for grilling steaks. I have smoked turkeys in cold ambient temps and it worked great. Less than a year in so I can't comment on durability.
Posted By: MarkD Re: Pellet Grill - 01/01/22
Pit Boss Pro. Nice features. Good quality.
Posted By: super T Re: Pellet Grill - 01/01/22
happy with my Traeger so far.
Posted By: bersh Re: Pellet Grill - 01/06/22
Lowes has the Weber Smokefire on clearance. Awesome cooker - I've had one over a year with no issues. The EX4 should be $250, EX6 prices range from $400-600 depending on location.
Posted By: chizelhead Re: Pellet Grill - 01/06/22
I have a MAK 2 Star which is great but expensive. I would take a hard look at a recteq if I was looking now.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pellet Grill - 01/06/22
I've had a Camp Chef for a few years. It seems well made and turns out great tasting meat when it's working right.
However on two occasions, I've had a problem with out of control heat. The temperature control dial was set on High Smoke, 170*, and when I checked on the smoker the temp was 300* and rising.
One time shutting down and restarting seemed to work, the last time it didn't and I ended up finishing the pork but in the oven.
After the first occurrence I noticed a lot of fine pellet dust in the smoker when I cleaned it.
I haven't cleaned the smoker yet after the last occurrence but I'm wondering if that could have led to the problem.
© 24hourcampfire