Home
Posted By: 5sdad Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
Everyone on TV (Yes, I am one of those. I not only own a television, but I also watch it.) eats by holding his/her fork in the left hand and knife in the right. I only pick up the knife when necessary, and when I do, I shift my fork from my right hand to my left. When I am done cutting, I lay the knife down and shift the fork back to my right for eating. Am I the only one who does this?
Posted By: mathman Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
A bunch of people waste motion like that.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Everyone on TV (Yes, I am one of those. I not only own a television, but I also watch it.) eats by holding his/her fork in the left hand and knife in the right. I only pick up the knife when necessary, and when I do, I shift my fork from my right hand to my left. When I am done cutting, I lay the knife down and shift the fork back to my right for eating. Am I the only one who does this?

I do too and I do everything right.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
That is interesting. I know this habbit from Americans only and from very few Germans. Generally the older generations in Germany use to hold the cutlery in both hands while eating.
Posted By: pullit Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
I do the opposite of the OP as I am left handed.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
I sit down and cut all my meat at once, with the fork in my left hand and knife in the right. Then I'm finished with the knife and eat the my meal with the fork in my right hand.

I also don't use a spoon to twirl my spaghetti.

But, I'm a barbarian, so......
Posted By: mathman Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I sit down and cut all my meat at once, with the fork in my left hand and knife in the right. Then I'm finished with the knife and eat the my meal with the fork in my right hand.

Yep. grin
Posted By: pullit Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
I am a cut as you go type guy myself
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
[Linked Image from cdn.barbdelollis.com]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
Perfect set-up for a left-hander.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Knife and Fork - 01/06/22
sometimes, and this is one of those times, we just over think things
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Knife and Fork - 01/08/22
Cut my meat all at one time with knife in the right hand fork in the left, and then eat it with fork in the right hand.
I drink bourbon with ice and a ginger ale, use my pants to wipe my hands and wear a hat at the dinner table.
AND, I drink light beer.
So GFY.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Knife and Fork - 01/09/22
I'm a barbarian.
Cut with my right, eat eith my left.
Until I get the meat all cut, then eat with my right.

Efficiency baby. No fudging around when I got a good piece of
flesh on the plate.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Knife and Fork - 01/09/22

Originally Posted by mathman
A bunch of people waste motion like that.

I'm a cut with the side of the fork kinda guy...

If I need to use the knife on a piece of meat I'll fork left/knife right it, stab it and eat it off the knife point...efficiency baby
Posted By: Robster Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
5sdad, I do it exactly like you do. It must be my European upbringing. My mom and grandparents immigrated....legally...through Ellis Island with a sponsor back when my mom was 13. Came over on a boat. 60 years ago. That is how I learned and never thought it weird until my now Xwife made fun of it. I also run the cutting knife between the tines of the fork to cut my meat and got made fun of for that as well.
Posted By: mathman Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
That's not how I read the OP. Isn't the European way to leave the fork in the left hand, knife in the right?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
To clarify: my fork lives in my right hand, except when I shift it to my left and use it to hold meat that I cut. Once the meat is cut, the fork goes back to the right hand for eating. Knife is on the table when not in use.
Posted By: mathman Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
That's how I understood your post.

I mostly eat with my right hand. If there's something, steak for example, requiring cutting I then eat Euro style and leave the fork in the left and use the knife with the right.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
The commonwealthers do it that way.

Fork in left hand.

You could conquer the entire English speaking world if you took their butter knives away.

They cant cut with a fork and also have not figured out how to use a thumb to load peas on said fork.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
I was once a guest in the officers mess of a British warship. The English, fork in left hand, mostly upside down with meat entree. And I was once a guest at a fancy schmancy dining room in the Olympic Hotel in Seattle, I watched the other people closely so I wouldn't embarrass myself or my host. Americans cut and switch.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/12/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TooOldToCare Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
To clarify: my fork lives in my right hand, except when I shift it to my left and use it to hold meat that I cut. Once the meat is cut, the fork goes back to the right hand for eating. Knife is on the table when not in use.

That’s how I do it too. I think that is the American way.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67

That’s racist. Please try to be more inclusive.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload pics

Some homemade bussup shut roti is the supreme vessel for sopping up juices. Garlic bread deserves a nomination as well.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22

Because you are not a heathen.
Originally Posted by ironbender

At least on this issue.
Originally Posted by robertham1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload pics
Some homemade bussup shut roti is the supreme vessel for sopping up juices. Garlic bread deserves a nomination as well.

Are you cooking on target steel?
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
When I first saw it- that’s what I thought too.

It’s called a tawa for making certain breads.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
AR-500 tawa
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22

At least on this issue.

I'm glad that you clarified that. wink
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
I am so uncoordinated with my left hand that I would end up with a fork in my eyeball or ear hole if I tried to shovel food into my face with it.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22

LMAO.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
I use the fork in the left hand , knife in right. I cut up everything that needs cutting on the plate then switch the fork to the right. I will cut up what ever I can with the fork.
Posted By: mathman Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
Egad Lovey! This conversation is full of Yale men.

Thurston Howell III
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by robertham1

Posted By: robertham1 Re: Knife and Fork - 01/14/22
I’m feeling offended, for others that may, or may not, be offended.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Knife and Fork - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Yep. grin

Baby foodeaters.....get away from mama's wing ...
Posted By: gunzo Re: Knife and Fork - 01/18/22
I've noticed Europeans eating this way, plus they push the food on to their fork with the knife. Then, they put the food into their mouth with the fork upside down. Zimmern was in Stockholm last night & the Swedes seemed more prone to to eat this way than the Brits.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Knife and Fork - 01/19/22
We Yanks still set our tables with the European silverware arrangement. Forks on the left is for holding forks in the left hand. Hold with the left, cut meat with the right, then smoothly move food to the mouth, still with the left. Use knife to pile veggies and such onto the fork. Repeat until done. Nothing could make more sense.

A European would (and do) laugh at how Americans use their forks like eating shovels, especially those clods who hold the fork in a fist.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knife and Fork - 01/19/22
Anyone see someone eat all of one thing on their plate, then another, till all the food is gone?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Knife and Fork - 01/19/22
The same people who can't stand to have foods touch on the plate, likely. They'll never know the delight of mashed potatoes and peas.
Posted By: JGray Re: Knife and Fork - 01/19/22
I remember as a kid, my mom commenting on me with fork always in right hand and using knife in left hand to cut meat. She tried to tell me proper table manners is to switch fork to left hand and cut with right, then switch back. I'm kind of ambidextrous and it never made sense to switch - very inefficient. My take is switching back and forth to do everything right handed is for people that can't do anything with their left hand.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Knife and Fork - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The same people who can't stand to have foods touch on the plate, likely. They'll never know the delight of mashed potatoes and peas.

Better still ...

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life,
It makes the peas taste funny,
but it keeps them on my knife. grin

The real reason you should always keep your knife in your right hand is to be able to stab your brother's hand when he reaches for the last piece of fried chicken on the platter that you want. smile

L.W.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Knife and Fork - 01/19/22
Fork works just as well.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knife and Fork - 01/20/22
Bring a righty, I don’t have the coordination to find my pie hole with my left.

Cut, switch, shovel.
© 24hourcampfire