How do you do them?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22
https://www.americastestkitchen.com...quality-french-fries-start-with-cold-oil
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22
Thanks FC!!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22
Yup. Good recipes for pie as well. 😁
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22

I worked in the food service industry for 43 years, and in the old days every restaurant that made real french fries did a few things that are lost to manufactured and frozen fries.

They had the cutter mounted on the wall, where you would just stick the potato end up and run it through the cutter into a pickle bucket full of water. They would soak in the water for awhile and remove some of the starch.

Then the fries were dropped into the vat of oil. (don't buy the story of needing clean or cold oil), these guys didn't have time to waste and they made fantastic fries. Probable one of the least known secrets was to pull the fries out of the oil and let them sit in the air at room temperature for a couple minutes, then drop them back in the oil to finish them.

It is that simple to make a real good french fry.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22
A good many people that I've seen don't
ever get their chosen grease hot enough to
properly fry whatever they're cooking, and
it gets all grease soaked
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22
I'd like to have a pressure oil cooker.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/07/22
French fries to me are the same as meth to Hunter Biden. I gotta have a hit at least once a week. Like Shrap said, soak and rinse to remove milky starch. Pat or air dry to prevent oil boilover. Now pay attention...fry at 250 for 5 minutes, let them chill until cool to the touch, dump them back into 350 deg oil and let them go until crispy brown on the outside. Don't get fancy with oil types, nobody blindfolded can tell a damn bit of difference.
Posted By: EdM Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/08/22
Days gone by here.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/09/22
Remove starch and par cook by pre-boiling the fries. Dry them off, fry in properly heated oil. This gives then the crispy outside and pillowy soft insides.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/09/22
I like the big baking potatoes for fries,they seem to stay firmer.Usually these days I slice them up,season and coat with olive oil.Then I spread them out in a cast iron skillet and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40-45min.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/09/22
Originally Posted by duck911
Remove starch and par cook by pre-boiling the fries. Dry them off, fry in properly heated oil. This gives then the crispy outside and pillowy soft insides.

Bugger, I'd hoped you'd [bleep] off !
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/10/22
Double "fry" in beef tallow. You're welcome
No substitutes !!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/10/22
In the air fryer - disappointing.
Posted By: mathman Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Yep, and a tater tot isn't a tater tot until you deep fry it. Oven tots be damned.
I bought one a few years ago. I was not overwhelmed on its frying features. I use it for chicken mostly. Im single so works great cooking chicken wings and legs. I think of it as a small convection oven.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/12/22
We dont and never will, fries are a total waste of good potatoes.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/13/22
All of the above advice is wrong 😁

THE BEST FRENCH FRIES ARE CALLED 1 HOUR FRIES

Peel a Russet

Cut in half long way

Cut each half long way in thirds

You’ll have big, thumb-sized potato sticks

Rinse, put in sauce pan big enough to let them lay in one layer with a tiny bit of space.

Cover with vegetable oil and turn to HIGH

Once boiling, turn down to LOW for 45 minutes

For last 15 minutes or till brown, turn to HIGH

SALT AND GRANULATED GARLIC
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/13/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/14/22
If you put Anything in cold oil or fat they will soak up more of it. The goal when deep frying is to seal up the outside with a crust and cook the inside without being greasy. That is done by having the correct temp to start and maintaining that temp during cooking.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/14/22
You'd think but not with cold start method I posted above. Embrace the science.

Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If you put Anything in cold oil or fat they will soak up more of it. The goal when deep frying is to seal up the outside with a crust and cook the inside without being greasy. That is done by having the correct temp to start and maintaining that temp during cooking.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/14/22
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

This is “worng”

😂

The “cold start” lasts for about 2 minutes because the burner is on full blast until the oil just begins boiling.

Raw potatoes are hard and don’t absorb oil.

Burner is then reduced to maintain the slow simmer.

Think of it as a “reverse sear” for potatoes

With the thickness of the wedges I cut, if the oil is at say 350° or browning temperature, the potato will be hard, raw, and uncooked in the middle when golden outside

BTW, the recipe was from a Bon Appetite or a Food and Wine magazine and called “1 Hour Fries”
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/14/22
Not a substitute for deep fat by any means, but spraying the food with a bit of oil helps a lot. Wifey does that with wings and it makes a big difference.

We’re not doing fries since we’re both doing keto. Someday!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/14/22
Have sprayed with oil - they still come out "white".
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/27/22
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I like the big baking potatoes for fries,they seem to stay firmer.Usually these days I slice them up,season and coat with olive oil.Then I spread them out in a cast iron skillet and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40-45min.

This is how we've been doing it for decades now--except we usually use a thicker cookie-sheet. Turn them once during the 40-45 minutes to get both sides crispy. Far less trouble than deep-frying, and excellent results.
Posted By: EdM Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/27/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by baldhunter

This is how we've been doing it for decades now--except we usually use a thicker cookie-sheet. Turn them once during the 40-45 minutes to get both sides crispy. Far less trouble than deep-frying, and excellent results.

Same here since I was a kid. My Mother (Italian) would often use a mix of rosemary and garlic in the olive oil and set the oven to 450. She frowned on ketchup.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Homemade French fries? - 05/27/22
Well, I tried the cold oil method, using yellow potatoes, and they turned out great. miles
© 24hourcampfire