Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
How?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
All steak spices are already a blend.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
I was just thinking about this last night. While I do like Montreal steak seasoning, I find it too course, and could use a blend. I had a bite of steak and got a large hard chunk of something that was off putting.

Of course, this is if I’m interpreting your question correctly.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
Look at Cert's brisket thread. robham uses a mustard coating then dusts it with premixed spices. Good way to blend and create a differing textures and tastes.

To the Montreal seasoning the dried garlic and pepper corn chunks can be obnoxious if they are not rehydrated somewhat. I only use it now when leaving the rub on meat overnight. I used to also grind it more in one of those small coffee spice grinders to the consistency of fine ground pepper to deal with chunks-o-stuff when directly seasoning meats during cooking.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
Originally Posted by robertham1
I was just thinking about this last night. While I do like Montreal steak seasoning, I find it too course, and could use a blend. I had a bite of steak and got a large hard chunk of something that was off putting.

Of course, this is if I’m interpreting your question correctly.

Just put it in a spice/coffee grinder. I do that with all of my steak rubs. At home I mainly use SPG or Boars Night Out Midwest Dust, but for our competitions we use three different commercial rubs. DB180 all purpose, DB180 beef and Boars Night Out Double Garlic Butter. All ground.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
This is one of our favorites. We bought a 3 pack of Bullsh!t, Chickensh!t and Awsh!t. The Awsh!t is great on grilled vegetables.

/]Bullsh!t seasoning
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/08/22
Garlic powder, Lawry's season salt.
Not heavy on either.
Couple drops. Lea &Perrins W-sauce.
Rub it around.

Let sit to room temp.
Brush with olive oil.
Posted By: super T Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/09/22
I've tried many different blends some are ok but have returned to salt, pepper, and garlic.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/10/22
I often just use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Otherwise, I use 5:2:2:1; ratio of salt, garlic, black pepper, onion.
RARELY ever put anything on a steak I cook except for black pepper and garlic.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/10/22
I use coarse salt,garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper,
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/15/22
Seven steak seasoning an hour before cooking. Add black pepper before taking off the grill and a pat of butter when it hits the table. Grilled medium . Usually have canned sliced mushrooms cooked in a little butter, garlic and shake of low salt soy sauce. Oh and baked taters
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/17/22
I save my spice bottles when they're empty.

I always have one with 50/50 course salt/course black pepper for brisket and pork butt rubs.

I always have one with onion powder/garlic powder/salt/pepper mix for steaks - rub with olive oil and apply seasoning and let sit in ziplock in fridge for overnight or most of the day.

My favorite steak seasoning now is the Hardcore Carnivore Black.
Posted By: mathman Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/17/22
How about a spelling coarse? grin
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/17/22
Forgot to share-

I did blend some Montreal steak seasoning in a coffee grinder for some steaks on Friday. It was a little too fine, but I’ll probably do it again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/17/22
I prefer Montreal ground fine for steaks and meat that cooks quick or isn't marinated with it as a dry rub overnight so it can hydrate some of them big chunks of garlic and pepper corn.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ever blend steak spice? - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by mathman
How about a spelling coarse? grin

Right. A thousand materfukin apoligees.
© 24hourcampfire