Home
Posted By: wabigoon Asparagus! - 05/11/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: erich Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
Those were picked a little late, stalks are starting to wrinkle and the heads opening, they might be a little bitter.

Recipes

Creamed on toast great light meal

Broiled and basted with butter

Grilled again baste with buttle

Soup, when trimming the tough ends, save and make cream of asparagus soup. After the hard ends a cooked run them through a Folly mill to remove the fiber.

Cut up raw and add to a salad.

As a kid in WI picking asparagus was a Sunday afternoon outing for the family. We would drive the country roads and all of us would watch the roadsides for it, usually filling a shopping bag full. All my family still have asparagus beds in their yards. We would hike the railroad tracks and pick it also.

Living in WA we had access to great asparagus and if you could find a farmer that would let you hunt asparagus fields in the fall are great pheasant hunting.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
Ya, we put that $hit on everything !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
I have a 5 plus year bed of them growing l [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
atvalaska,
I’ve not seen it to validate but is it true that asparagus will grow and flourish for like 10 or 15 yrs. As simple as I garden that sounds amazing.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
Yes, plant or seed it & 1 - 2 years later, you'll have great crops for many years.

We started seeds, late winter before last, planted last spring, might be able to harvest this year, but definitely next year.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
I love smelly pee season !

I grow a bunch of it. I planted a bunch of it the first spring I owned my house... 20 years ago..
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
Mine are just starting,. Should be able to pick a small batch tomorrow. I have them planted in a 4 ft diameter stock tank that rusted out
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
I just bought a fresh bunch of it at farmer's market an hour ago. it was just picked today and can't get much fresher.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
One thing that does well in an air fryer.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
Absolutely love asparagus. Sautéed with some bacon/onions/garlic or just grilled with salt/pepper/granulated garlic.

It’s a far cry from the steamed version I was fed as a child.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Asparagus! - 05/11/22
Aren’t they biennial?

I love home grown asparagus.
Posted By: paguy Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
Battered and deep fried are very good, Othelo fries from a bar in eastern Washington were the best I have ever tasted.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
My sister-in-law makes it on the grill. Not sure what all she puts in there but I know butter is one thing. It’s awesome.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Aren’t they biennial?

I love home grown asparagus.
Get it annually.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
I grilled some asparagus one time when I was fixing Ribeyes. Now my wife wants asparagus with Ribeyes.
Posted By: EdM Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
All through high school I hauled produce from the Sacramento markets to my town of Pittsburg. These were early morning (leave my house at 3:30 AM) runs and I would stop for breakfast at Alma's Cafe in Walnut Grove. As an aside, they had a pretty sharp daughter... Many times, while eating breakfast, a farmer would comment on "their" produce on my truck. We also had access to Victoria Island for ducks and also asparagus after the harvest. We would head out with simple knives and fill a number of wooden crates with them. Good times 40+ years ago.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
There is only one commercial farm left in the Sac-Joaquin Delta growing asparagus pictured above. only 600 arces and all of it sold only locally within 50 miles of the packing shed. Just had the Asparagus Festival here last weekend. Daughter's boyfriend Farmer Mike picks up fresh batches from the shed for his Mom to pickle. Damn they is good too.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67

That's how I like em....
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
It grew wild in the ditches in rural Ohio when I was a boy we used to pick it. Wild strawberries as well. Not sure how or who started it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
It grew wild in the ditches in rural Ohio when I was a boy we used to pick it. Wild strawberries as well. Not sure how or who started it.

We did the same thing in Iowa. I think that there was some strange little man who wore a sauce pan on his head who went by the name "Johnny Asparagusroot" who traveled the country planting the stuff back as the country moved west.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Asparagus! - 05/12/22
Them dried up Broom sticks they sell in the store suck I can pick one out of my yard the size of my thumb and a foot high and eat the entire thing wit just my tongue! Lol
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Asparagus! - 05/15/22
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Yes, plant or seed it & 1 - 2 years later, you'll have great crops for many years.

We started seeds, late winter before last, planted last spring, might be able to harvest this year, but definitely next year.

We planted a bed in 2001 using crowns.
2 Jersey varieties, purple, and Martha Washington.
80 plants in a 2 row 80' bed.

It's starting to seriously decline. The Jersey's are all male and dont reproduce. The Martha W. hasn't really thrived.

We used to pick it every 2-3 days and 3/4 fill a Wal-Mart bag, now a good
picking gets 2-3 pounds.

Hate it canned, don't like it froze, we used to give away piles of it.
Now, we have folks asking, and not much to share. From late April to
June, we all have the stinky pee!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Asparagus! - 05/20/22
Been cutting out of our patch last couple weeks. Love it sautéed in olive oil, grilled with olive oil and Greek seasoning, casserole with cheese and cracker crumbs. I love the mushy canned scheit too.
© 24hourcampfire