How's it taste?
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
Salty
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
Tastes like disassociated atoms...

Just buy a good finishing salt.

Ymmv
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
Me-maw had a big chunk on the end table by the couch.

Had a lamp in it.
Posted By: erich Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
My wife has the same type of lamp in the Livingroom, says it's to neutralize the negativity I bring into the house. I have used some pink Himalayan salt in my salt grinder, and it seems saltier than white evaporated salt but I think it is just denser. As far as taste, my negativity might cloud my judgment but it seems the same as canning/pickling salt I keep in the saltbox on the counter.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Is it worth the money?

How's it taste?
Tastes like it costs more.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
They say that the deposits were formed around 200 Million years ago.....

once they put it in the bottle does it have an expiration date??????
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
Only if it's from certain caves - they are not all equal. As with all products, the only way to assure oneself of the best quality is to buy the most expensive of the item that you can find. (It also makes it better if you insist on paying a bit more than the stated price.)
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/07/22
Just me- I buy the traditional old round cardboard
container of the cheapest salt I can find.
That's a multi-year supply for me
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/08/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Only if it's from certain caves - they are not all equal.

Step#1

As with all products, the only way to assure oneself of the best quality is to buy the most expensive of the item that you can find. (It also makes it better if you insist on paying a bit more than the stated price.)

Step#2,
Ya gotta tell everyone. In a braggy, superior way.
Often.
And dno't forget to mention price. And that
"It's worth it!"
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/08/22
The one thing I've learned with cooking is that not all salt is equal. I use either kosher salt or a grinder of Himalayan pink sea salt. I actually read up on this and the big influencer is the shape of the crystal, granule, flake etc. What most cooks say is to stay away from granulated and iodized salt. Iodized adds a bitterness and granulated has a crystal size that's too dense. They recommend kosher salt, which I learned has nothing to do with Jewish, per se, but is more of a flaked salt that works well with drying meats.

The big thing is to either use kosher or sea salt and stay consistent, so you understand and learn what a "pinch" adds to a dish. Most recipes say adjust "salt to taste", so as the cook, you need to learn the effect of your salt "pinches".
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/08/22
Thanks all.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/10/22
I buy the three-pound jug from Costco. They were out last time I ordered so I bought some other designer salt instead.

I suppose the trace minerals may affect the taste, but mostly it’s pretty.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/12/22
I think the pink salt is less salty tasting than regular salt
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/12/22
I like this better:

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Real Salt
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/12/22
We use Redmond Real Sea Salt too, good stuff.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/14/22
Three votes for Redmond. It's mined right here in Utah so it's easy to find here. It has trace elements that make it "sweeter" and more complex than the stuff in the round blue box.

Morton also has salt production in Utah, BTW. But they get theirs from the Great Salt Lake by evaporation, and most of it goes to highway departments for road use.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/15/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Morton also has salt production in Utah, BTW. But they get theirs from the Great Salt Lake by evaporation, and most of it goes to highway departments for road use.

They produce lot of feed blocks and fine salt for feed and food processing as well, or used to anyway. I hauled a lot of salt out of that plant back in the day.
Posted By: TooOldToCare Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/17/22
I like to use salt that has natural minerals, like Himalayan salt. I never liked the Pakistan connection though. I will be trying the Real Salt. I hadn’t heard of it before.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/17/22
That Redmond is good, easy to find.

I got a bucket of some French flake salt from my sister for Xmas. It more coarse than Kosher salt and is great to cook with. And I have at least a 3 year supply of it.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Himalayan Cave Salt? - 06/17/22
Yeah, here it is.

Maldon Salt, Sea Salt Flakes, 3.1 lb, Bulk Tub, Kosher, Natural, Handcrafted, Gourmet, Pyramid Crystals https://a.co/d/9mkr0Cb
© 24hourcampfire