Home
Posted By: wabigoon Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
How would you cook it?
Posted By: milespatton Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
The ones that I ate long ago were boiled in a spice mixture, then sliced for sandwiches. Pickle spice comes to mind, but not sure. miles
Posted By: Judman Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
My god!! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Posted By: ironbender Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by milespatton
The ones that I ate long ago were boiled in a spice mixture, then sliced for sandwiches. Pickle spice comes to mind, but not sure. miles
We did that in camp one time with caribou tongue and sliced for sandwiches.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
Gettr done Richard and report back.

https://www.mylatinatable.com/make-authentic-beef-tongue-tacos-de-lengua/
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
Local Costco has been stocking it for a few months now. Tried it a while back and it had either turned, the cook messed up. I know thereā€™s a lot of people who love it, however when Iā€™m at the type of place that serves it, thereā€™s at least 4 other meats Iā€™m trying first.
Posted By: super T Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
There is a large Basque community where I grew up and marinated beef tongue is a favorite with them. I like it too. The tongue is first boiled and sliced very thin and then marinated in red wine vinegar, garlic, and olive oil. To get more info google Woolgrower's restaurant pickled tongue recipe.
Originally Posted by super T
There is a large Basque community where I grew up and marinated beef tongue is a favorite with them. I like it too. The tongue is first boiled and sliced very thin and then marinated in red wine vinegar, garlic, and olive oil. To get more info google Woolgrower's restaurant pickled tongue recipe.

Ohmagherrd! that pickeled dish is good. That and a picon punch.

Literally had a tear in my eye when the Traditional Basque restaurant I grew up eating at locally shut down in 1994.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
When people talk about basque communities- my mind goes straight to Reno.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
For me, pickled tongue is the way to go, made into sandwiches with good spicy mustard.

When I moved to MT I had a hard time finding beef tongue, but we recently had a Winco open in town and they generally have a pretty strong Hispanic customer base, and that means we now have a lot of good, affordable tongue available.
Former owners family lives across the street. Sheep ranchers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
The hometown butcher shop when I grew up always had pickled, smoked and fresh tongue in the case. The smoked was my favorite and I'd love to find a place that smoked them like they use to. I had a local processor try it for me once a few years ago and it sucked. I'd try it myself now but tongue has gotten expensive, the last one I saw at the local Meijer store was $40!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
Are pork, or lamb tongues good?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
wabigoon, Yes but they are small compared to Bovine or Bison, very few people cook and or pickle Elk, Deer, or the larger Exotic's tongue. done correctly it is good eating. Rio7
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
I'll pass.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/23/22
Save my moose and deer tongues whenever I get one. Hunting buddyā€™s wife does it up right. Boil it, then peel it, then slice thin and do what you want with it.

Slayanka loves it, too. One of her favourite salads in Ukraine is made with beef tongue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
La Michocana is a chain of Mexican Meat Markets here in Texas major cities. They each contain a taqueria and my fave by far is lengua tacos. If one didnā€™t know youā€™d swear it was a great beef roast cooked in spices. It is extremely good eating.
Posted By: mathman Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
I watched the lengua taco video on the Villa Cocina YouTube channel. What Rosanna made looked pretty good.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
Thanks All.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
Elk tongue, sous vide, followed by a stripping of mucosa/skin and then a quick sear or smoke. Pretty good meat for tacos or sandwiches.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
This may sound to simple for some of you. Tongue:

Clean and boil, skin it, let cool, slice it, salt and pepper, add some sharp cheese slices, mustard, and good bread, and a glass of cold milk , makes a enjoyable meal. Rio7
Posted By: LouisB Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
Growing up they were simmered with celery and light spices, peeled (important) and sliced to eat or for sandwiches.
May be something new in the stores here, I will have to look.
Doubt I will have to worry about the wife eating too much!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
Cow Tongue if done right is awesome.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
I find it funny when people wont touch a tongue sandwich but chow down on a Spam sandwich.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I find it funny when people wont touch a tongue sandwich but chow down on a Spam sandwich.

Or think fried Catfish and Chicken are a delicacy.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/28/22
One of my favorite places. Never had tongue there but the lamb chops were great
Had tongue in a basq restaurant in Winnemucca NV.
It was really good. Almost a gelatinous gravy on it.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Beef Tongue? - 06/28/22
I haven't eaten tongue since I was a young kid. Mom and dad didn't make enough money in those days to buy ā€œregularā€ meat. Tongue, chicken, and mutton were the table meats in those days. I liked tongue. I liked it better than mutton which stank-up the house but wasn't bad, taste wish. Squirrel and rabbit was a treat from time to time when ever dad had time to go hunting.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/03/22
My Dad worked for Swift & Co. and got "trim" parts for free. We ate a lot of beef tongue. Boil in salted water, skin, and slice is both the simplest and best way to fix it. But I never had it pickled or smoked so "best" is a choice of one and thus I might be wrong. I'd sure like to find out!

Tongue is perhaps the best meat on the animal. It is mild, completely free of fat and sinew, very fine-grained, and simple to fix.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/03/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My Dad worked for Swift & Co. and got "trim" parts for free. We ate a lot of beef tongue. Boil in salted water, skin, and slice is both the simplest and best way to fix it. But I never had it pickled or smoked so "best" is a choice of one and thus I might be wrong. I'd sure like to find out!

Tongue is perhaps the best meat on the animal. It is mild, completely free of fat and sinew, very fine-grained, and simple to fix.

It's been funny watching white folk, usually liberals, "discover" tacos de lengua over the last couple decades thinking they stumbled on some secret poor brownskin food.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/03/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67

It's been funny watching white folk, usually liberals, "discover" tacos de lengua over the last couple decades thinking they stumbled on some secret poor brownskin food.

Yes ^ ^
Back when my folks were young and before that,
the "poor " folks bought junk cuts like brisket and
ribs and chicken wings and tongue, etc.
The stores would durn near give away a big package
of chicken wings and fatty boney cuts of meat.
Now, all that stuff costs as much or more than a
decent steak, and people slather on sauces and
spices to where you can't even get a taste of meat.
People have forgotten that spices and sauces
came about to cover up the half spoiled smell
and taste before everybody had refrigeration.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/03/22
As I've related many times, in the 50s, Swift & Co gave away the "trim" bits which even included ribs. In the part of Illinois between Belleville and East St Louis, almost every intersection had a cinderblock and window screen BBQ joint run by some older Black man and featuring ribs and snoots. Those old men cooked trim over hickory wood low and slow, and you would roll your eyes back at the first taste of it. St Louis style BBQ is hickory smoked with a thick, sweet tomato sauce applied heavily before, during, and after cooking.

For employees like my Dad, ribs, tongue, calf brains, kidneys, liver, cheeks, and pork snoots were free for the taking. He never did bring home any snoots (that's noses for the snobbish among you) but I grew up on all the rest of that. I genuinely pity anyone who who has such food aversions that they turn their snoots up at such fare. You really have no clue at what you are missing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22
You are not snooty folks!
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22

I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt. March meets Friday 1st round T/F qualifying at two, dinner, 2cnd round qualifying. Home in Visalia at 11:00 pm. Up at five, leave by six, breakfast in McFarland at seven, Famoso by eight. Pickled tongue on sourdough is damn good!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22
As I've related many times, in the 50s, Swift & Co gave away the "trim" bits which even included ribs. In the part of Illinois between Belleville and East St Louis, almost every intersection had a cinderblock and window screen BBQ joint run by some older Black man and featuring ribs and snoots. Those old men cooked trim over hickory wood low and slow, and you would roll your eyes back at the first taste of it. St Louis style BBQ is hickory smoked with a thick, sweet tomato sauce applied heavily before, during, and after cooking.

For employees like my Dad, ribs, tongue, calf brains, kidneys, liver, cheeks, and pork snoots were free for the taking. He never did bring home any snoots (that's noses for the snobbish among you) but I grew up on all the rest of that. I genuinely pity anyone who who has such food aversions that they turn their snoots up at such fare. You really have no clue at what you are missing.
Lots of stores in Arkansas sell snoots, ears,feet and such. Used to sell pig tails before they started docking them. Never saw chicken feet until we got a very large latino population. miles
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22

When we would butcher a beef, Mom would make a meal of bones.
She would roast a banner full of bones that still had good stuff on them.

4 of us sitting there putting a pack of dogs to shame. Gnawing the good
guts off those greasy bones. I loved it. Shiny hair, no strain sh--tsšŸ˜!

My family would have to be dang hungry to eat that now.
Wife was a town girl, daughters are just like her.
No fat, no cartilage, they refuse the eat meat from a bone.
Pork chop night, I get 3 bones to gnaw on before I take a chop from
the plate. That's ok. They give me the best part!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22

And yet many who claim to not be snooty turn theirs up at hot dogs.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
When we would butcher a beef, Mom would make a meal of bones.
She would roast a banner full of bones that still had good stuff on them.

4 of us sitting there putting a pack of dogs to shame. Gnawing the good
guts off those greasy bones. I loved it. Shiny hair, no strain sh--tsšŸ˜!

My family would have to be dang hungry to eat that now.
Wife was a town girl, daughters are just like her.
No fat, no cartilage, they refuse the eat meat from a bone.
Pork chop night, I get 3 bones to gnaw on before I take a chop from
the plate. That's ok. They give me the best part!

I like bones myself, but no one could compete with Mom when she was still with us. She would scrounge any bone from any plate (some from people's hands). I swear that she had some buried out in the yard for lean times.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Ewwww....they put tongues and snoots in those things!
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Azzholes too!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/04/22
Dont forget [bleep]!

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Azzholes too!

That can't be true. As many hot dogs as are produced, if it were true there couldn't possibly be that many here at the 'fire.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/06/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Former owners family lives across the street. Sheep ranchers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cool photo. Nice 70's bar. I love old photos like this.
Reminds me of better times.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/06/22
So you moose hunter are able to not waste any good edible part of your moose, Andrew will teach you how to cook moose nose.

Thank me later. wink

L.W.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/06/22
There used to be a guy who camped near us every moose season. Whenever anyone would bring a moose into camp he would stroll over and cut the tongue out. One evening I decided to stroll over and see what he was doing with them and he opened my eyes to how good they are.
boiled and skinned, then sliced up and dipped in a little spicy mustard.
Posted By: Steve Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/10/22
Thinking I'm gonna buy a couple and put them on the smoker.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Beef Tongue? - 07/15/22
The price of tongue is high now, about ten bucks an lb.
© 24hourcampfire