Home
Posted By: jackmountain Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/24/22
Had this a lot growing up. Usually with pork loin or country ham chopped up in it. Anyone else? Pretty simple, sauerkraut, bisquick dropped in in spoonfuls to make the dumplings, chopped meat.
Posted By: pullit Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/24/22
Had dumplings, had sauerkraut, but not in the same dish or even at the same time that I can remember.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/24/22
A customary dish in Slovakia is ba-bolki. It is baked bread balls, then smothered with sauerkraut, butter and cooked onions. It has to steam together, and is done when the bread balls are soft again.
It is pretty mild, and probably not the flavor you would guess.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/24/22
Between this and your seasoned flour you are racking up the stuff I wanna try out. Love about anything with sauerkraut.
Posted By: Judman Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by beretzs
Between this and your seasoned flour you are racking up the stuff I wanna try out. Love about anything with sauerkraut.

Yes 👊🏻
Posted By: Remsen Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/24/22
We often had a beef roast cooked with sauerkraut, which sorta sounds like what OP is talking about. Basically saurbraten with beef, caraway, onions and sauerkraut, all cooked together. Dang, I haven't had it in decades and am now craving it.
I’m making a batch Sunday. Try to post pics.
Always fresh kraut on the table growing up. We have a 5 gallon crock the wife picked up a long time ago we make ours in.
Have to buy cabbage this year. Had 12 heads coming in nicely and last week every single one was eat down.
Worst year for pests in the garden we’ve ever had. Shot a pile of groundhogs and rabbits out of it.
Posted By: ENorton Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/25/22
Sauerkraut with Bisquick dumplings is an all time favorite. Just pick what kind of pork you want with it.
No meat in the dumplings, just dough.
The roast kept separate.

Try citing those dumplings up with the fork, then
drizzling some real maple syrup on them.

Let a little mix with the kraut juice, run a piece of pork through the
salty/sweet/maple!

"IDGAS what the rich folk are eating ring now, this gotta be better than snails!"
We’ll, I won’t posting pics today. Feel like a truck ran over me. I’m guessing chink flu
Posted By: deflave Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/27/22
jacksmountainmen,

I used a boneless roast, big ass can of kraut, and a cardboard tube of those instant biscuits.

Refilled the empty kraut can with water to the halfway point. Added three tablespoons of minced garlic, tablespoon of salt, tablespoon of pepper, and a tablespoon of paprika. Mixed that together and into the crock pot.

Laid the biscuits on for the last 30-40 minutes after everything cooked on low for the day.

Holy fugking amazing.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/27/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
We’ll, I won’t posting pics today. Feel like a truck ran over me. I’m guessing chink flu

Nice knowin' ya.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sauerkraut and dumplings - 06/28/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Hope you feel better soon JM.
© 24hourcampfire