Home
Looking for some new ideas preferably no mayo 🤢
Something so easy you can whip it up with a hand tied behind your back?
Love pasta salad with the little salad shrimp. I prefer it with mayo but it's fine with olive oil.

Or, depending on location, hot German potato salad is always a hit.
Dorito bean salad.
St. James beans
Boudin mac and cheese.
Beer.
You have to be tactical about these things. Bring a six pack of hot Milwaukee's Best and a bag of stale pretzels from Dollar Tree, make a big deal about how you're contributing. Then load up your plate with ribs and steaks, and fish the good beer out of the bottom of the cooler.

#winning
Little smokies.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/69919/bacon-wrapped-smokies/?utm_source=smsshare
Most often bring pasta salad and chocolate chip cookies.
Originally Posted by auk1124
You have to be tactical about these things. Bring a six pack of hot Milwaukee's Best and a bag of stale pretzels from Dollar Tree, make a big deal about how you're contributing. Then load up your plate with ribs and steaks, and fish the good beer out of the bottom of the cooler.

#winning

Fuggin a-right……

Don’t forget the $1 rolls of paper towels…..
For real though….

Hard to beat the Sams club baked beans with brisket in it.

Usually the person that puts on the shin-dig does the meats. I’ve kicked them some money to help on that.

#winning

You know that guy too?
Originally Posted by mathman
Boudin mac and cheese.

Tell me more........please?
Basically it's a foil tray of mac and cheese with broken up boudin mixed in. A local market puts it together in different sizes to suit the number of eaters. The store makes their own spicy boudin and it mixes well with the creaminess of whatever cheese they're using. After heating it through in the oven you can crisp up the top with a quick pass under the broiler.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

#winning

You know that guy too?

Yep, we all know him (or her). But I was exaggerating - the ones around here usually never bring a damn thing, not even a roll of paper towels or bag of chips.

But they will sure help themselves to the grub...
Crock pot baked beans.
Originally Posted by mathman
Boudin mac and cheese.

I gonna need that recipe when you get a chance. Thanks in advance!
I don't make it, I just bring it to the party. grin

This might be a winner
2 cups dry pinto beans
4-5 cups of water
Can of schitty beer
Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 chopped onion
Teaspoon of cumin
Cup of chopped pork fat/bacon/side pork/scraps
15-20oz crushed tomatoes or ro-tel
Salt

Put all in a crockpot and set to low. Pass out and check when awake.

Take to place. Answer how to make for entire event. Take empty crock pot home.
Assuming meats and beer are covered.

Coleslaw

Bean/pepper salad

Guacamole

Shrimp
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Beer.
My man!
This is always a hit.

https://www.momontimeout.com/slow-cooker-kielbasa-bites/
Originally Posted by Irving_D
This might be a winner

They are awesome and stupid easy to do. I've never left a party or potluck with any left in the 9x13 pan I take there.
Originally Posted by deflave
2 cups dry pinto beans
4-5 cups of water
Can of schitty beer
Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 chopped onion
Teaspoon of cumin
Salt

Tag
I'm bringing Corn Bread

https://www.amazon.com/Famous-Daves-Corn-Bread-Pack/dp/B07QX3TBSR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2E8U8O0W02EIN&keywords=famous+dave+cornbread+mix&qid=1656466431&sprefix=famous+Daves+corn%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-2

Or Deflaves Smoked Cabbage.
Smoked cabbage you say?

I cook a fried cabbage that is good.
One of my absolute favorites is red cabbage fried in bacon grease and seasoned with Tony's and a few caraway seeds. I cook it slowly in a wok.
Nice.

Remsen sold me a red cabbage recipe a while back.

It had caraway.

Mine has lard.

Never the twain shall meet....
Beer.
This.

They invited me which means this while thing was their idea. Pisses my wife off because I never want to take anything.

When we put something on we make and supply everything. My idea I will take care of it.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Smoked cabbage you say?

Conrad,

Flave had a thread a few years back where he cored out a cabbage and put a room temp stick of butter and whatever seasoning you like blended into the hollowed out core.

Wrap in tin foil and smoke it for a couple hours butter side up.

It's delicious.

And easy like Flave.
A vinegar based coleslaw with about as much shredded carrots, onions, peppers, and other crunchy vegetables as cabbage.

None of that mayo based coleslaw.
Cornbread salad, guacamole, or beer cheese for brats
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A vinegar based coleslaw with about as much shredded carrots, onions, peppers, and other crunchy vegetables as cabbage.

None of that mayo based coleslaw.
I love a creamy, Mayo based slaw. What I make is a version posted years back from good ol’ ScottF, from his wife. It’s awesome.

That said, my wife got a vinegar slaw recipe from a friend which is also excellent, but differenter.

Each has a place, IMO.
Originally Posted by Higginez
It's delicious.

And easy like Flave.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by deflave
2 cups dry pinto beans
4-5 cups of water
Can of schitty beer
Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 chopped onion
Teaspoon of cumin
Salt

You lost me at Pinto beans…..

Yick!
Broccoli salad or pasta salad and smoked salmon dip and crackers
Originally Posted by ironbender

We make our little smokies similar. I'm going to have to try it with Andouille sausage for the weekend.
Smoked cabbage you say?

Conrad,

Flave had a thread a few years back where he cored out a cabbage and put a room temp stick of butter and whatever seasoning you like blended into the hollowed out core.

It's delicious.

And easy like Flave.

I've done this a few times since Travis posted that. I mix the butter and spices (Tony's etc.) in a bowl and then smear it inside the cabbage core with a spatula.

I don't know how much smoke it actually gets since it's wrapped in tinfoil so a regular grill will work just fine, IMO. It really is delicious.
Some kinda Cowboy salad is always welcome. I like roasting corn day before making.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For any libturds in the group..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Three bean salad.
Sauerkraut salad.
4th of July Bean Carousel (fancy baked beans with burger in them)

Deviled eggs are never not a hit.
(No mayo? Make them better, use Miracle Whip)
Maybe, home cooked beans?
Something so easy you can whip it up with a hand tied behind your back?

I have a 3 day, rotating cycle of easy to prepare meals. First day, canned chili over Fritos corn chips. Second day, Dinty Moore beef stew. Third day, Chow Mein, any flavor you choose. Fourth day, start over and follow the cycle with total ease and economy…
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Smoked cabbage you say?

Conrad,

It's delicious.

And easy like Flave.

I've done this a few times since Travis posted that. I mix the butter and spices (Tony's etc.) in a bowl and then smear it inside the cabbage core with a spatula.

I don't know how much smoke it actually gets since it's wrapped in tinfoil so a regular grill will work just fine, IMO. It really is delicious.

Sub peach or parchment paper for foil and fold it to hold the butter and it will pick up plenty of smoke. I use the black paper clips to hold things together and it works beautifully. I usually use a pound of bacon at the base to soak up the butter and make a place for the cabbage to sit. Fold the paper at the edges and it will hold the fats nicely.
Shrimp and Artichoke Heart Salad with Lemon Dressing

This is incredible stuff and leaves people talking about it afterwards... it is important to keep the pepper as coarse as possible. Our good friend Dennis Neill also said this was the best salad he ever ate.

2 pounds of medium to large cooked shrimp, chilled
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
2 cans Artichoke Hearts drained well (NOT marinated)

2-3 hearts of Romaine lettuce torn into pieces

Dressing:
1 ½ cup Mayonnaise
½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or 3 teaspoons dried)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Fresh coarse ground pepper and salt to taste
½ cup whipping cream

Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chives, and tarragon thoroughly in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl whip the cream until medium-firm peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mayonnaise mix and chill in the frig.

In a large bowl mix the shrimp, fennel seeds, and artichoke hearts and then add about half of the dressing and mix gently. Then add the lettuce and toss gently to coat the lettuce. Add more dressing as needed and serve whatever is left over on the side.

Quite a few folks here have had this and no one bitched... The bigger the shrimp the better IMO.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Beer.
This.

They invited me which means this while thing was their idea. Pisses my wife off because I never want to take anything.

When we put something on we make and supply everything. My idea I will take care of it.

+1 In my circle of family and friends it’s the same way. We cover all the main stuff and most the time the woman coordinate the deserts/salads and guys always show up with drinks!

If you are feeling inclined to bring a side dish you can never go wrong with a bunch of jalapeños poppers!
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Smoked cabbage you say?

Conrad,

It's delicious.

And easy like Flave.

You can leave the foil unwrapped for the first hour and plenty of smoke will permeate the dish if it's something you're after.

Just keep the smoke heavy and temps low. Then wrap tight and let it go.

If you don't care about smoke at all you can achieve the same results in an oven or even a crock pot.
Approximate Cook time?
Two fifths of rotgut bust head. Everyone always enjoys it. grin

L.W.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Approximate Cook time?
2.5- 3 hours
Tks Higz
I’m bringing an appetite and a thirst plus my charming personality.

Oh and I’m probably blowing up your shietter before I leave. You’re welcome
Beer.

Hell ya shaun, and our charming character while we’re at it!!
Originally Posted by TheKid

Don't forget to kick the housecat on the way to your car.
Smoked queso dip and tortilla chips.
German Potato Salad.
Originally Posted by TheKid

Don't forget to kick the housecat on the way to your car.
Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to back over the family pet on my way to running over the mailbox.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
German Potato Salad.

Hot?

That's some good stuff!
Green Chile Cream Corn
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
German Potato Salad.

Hot?

That's some good stuff!

Of course hot. Or a grilled corn with avocado salad with poblano/chipotle vinaigrette served cold.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
German Potato Salad.

Hot?

That's some good stuff!

Of course hot. Or a grilled corn with avocado salad with poblano/chipotle vinaigrette served cold.

Often see a mayo based potato salad sold as "German".
And Iike it.
Wife and I made one pretty much like that last night.
(Along with sauerkraut salad)

But is not real German Potato salad.

Rarely see your dish any more.
Folks don't want to do all the work.
Here's the German Potato Salad recipe I use. I highly recommend the gold potatoes the recipe calls for. Yellow onion. I use Edmond Fallot dijon mustard. I also reserve more than 1/4 cup of the bacon fat for the sauce, usually all of it. I skip the salt.

Every time I serve this, I get compliments.

Food Network German Potato Salad
Some sort of beans and corn bread.
Crack dip

2 blocks cream cheese
1 can of Rotel
1 pound of ground sausage
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine was having a birthday party for his son and his wife was texting everyone and giving a virtual grocery list of things to bring. Kind of insulting......
Bacon wrapped little smokies were a hit, with a habernaro maple syrup for dipping
For the 4th of July BBQ we went to last night, we took Watermelon Salad.

Watermelon
Blueberries
Fresh Basil
Feta cheese
Balsamic vinegar

It was a hit.
For the 4th of July BBQ we went to last night, we took Watermelon Salad.

Watermelon
Blueberries
Fresh Basil
Feta cheese
Balsamic vinegar

It was a hit.

I need to try that, sounds great
This weekend I went with rice dressing.
Watermelon with Tabasco works a treat in that salad too.

No blueberries, balsamic glaze & Tabasco !!
Tag
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Bacon wrapped little smokies were a hit, with a habernaro maple syrup for dipping

I'm glad it worked out! smile
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Watermelon with Tabasco works a treat in that salad too.

No blueberries, balsamic glaze & Tabasco !!

I'll give it a go.
Originally Posted by Jericho
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine was having a birthday party for his son and his wife was texting everyone and giving a virtual grocery list of things to bring. Kind of insulting......

It's your friend.

LOL
© 24hourcampfire