Home
Lots of hard boiled eggs around here lately,

Some peel so nice, others a thousand little pieces of shell and even pulls some of the egg away,

Don’t know why,,

Tips?
Older eggs peel easier.
add salt to water
Wifey says slow boil and quick cooling. Ice water helps.
Originally Posted by mathman
Older eggs peel easier.

Are we talking , pre or post hot-tub age?
This thread is gonna have legs..
Originally Posted by persiandog
add salt to water

Someone else mentioned vinegar, didn’t seem to make a difference,

We will try salt, Thanks.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Did you mean wings?
I use baking soda, suggestion from my sister that owned a deli and she was doing dozens of eggs every day for salads.
Originally Posted by erich
I use baking soda,

Details please, how much baking soda?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Older eggs peel easier.

Pre, like they've been around for a while before cooking.
Instant pots work great. Wife loves what hers does.
Pressure cooker for three minutes, quickly release (giggity) then cool under running water.

60% of the time it works every time.
I do all mine the same way
Put the eggs in a pan, cover with plain tap water,
Bring to a boil ,turn the burner down to a slow
boil, barely bubbling for about 6-10 minutes.
Can't eat runny eggs myself.
Let em cool as is.
I either put em in the refrigerator for later use,
or they get holes poked in em and go in the
pickling brine
When I get ready to peel one, I rinse it under
the sink spigot. I've never had to add any extra
anything to the water, or use any special gadgetry.
Only water in a pan on the stove
When I peel, I start it at the air pocket on the big end.
Nary a problem most all the time
Older eggs peel easier.

Let the eggs sit out on the counter for two days prior to cooking. Enzymes in the egg partially digest the membrane allowing easy peeling and no sticking.
Used to pull them from the pan, crack them, then into ice water.
It helped.

Now, 5 min under pressure in the insta-pot, 5 min natural cool.
Release pressure, into ice water.

Never any issue at all, no matter how fresh the eggs.

A normal pressure cooker would obviously work, and it's what I'd now use
if we didn't have the insta-pot. Never knew how well pressure cooking
them worked before.
bring the water to a boil before you put the eggs in. put them in, can't remember how many minutes off the top of my head. have a bowl of ice water ready take the eggs straight from the pot into the ice water, once they cool off they peel easily. I do it like this when I make pickled eggs.
Originally Posted by erich
I use baking soda,

Details please, how much baking soda?

I also use baking soda, add about 2 teaspoons to water that covers 5/6 eggs......... start with room temp water

Boil for 6/8 minutes, drain water, shake eggs in the pot to crack them, cover with tap water and start peeling....

soaking in ice water also helps, but I like to eat them still hot...........
Originally Posted by robertham1
...60% of the time it works every time.

That kind of honesty could be attached to most advice given here at the 'fire. grin
Originally Posted by Higginez
Wifey says slow boil and quick cooling. Ice water helps.
I couldnt get it right for years. But the slow cook and the ice bath works for me generally.
Even then occasionally I get one that will give me a headache. I sometimes think it may be many factors , the egg, your water and the cooking and cooling style. What works for some doesn't work for others. I tried ay least five “sure fire” methods before I found one that works best for me.
My method is to bring the water to a boil with the eggs in the water. Once it boils turn off the stove and cover for 7-8 minutes depending on how cooked you want them. At 7 minutes I put the eggs in an ice water bath to cool.
I put mine in a pot of room temp water.

Bring it to a rolling boil, shot off heat, and cover with lid.

let set 'till they are cool enough to handle, (15-20 minuets) then peel under running cool water.

Virgil B.
Hotel I stayed at last 2 nights had cold breakfast with hard boiled eggs. Each one perfectly peeled. No way someone did that by hand. Is there a commercial peeler that works?
Originally Posted by ironbender
Older eggs peel easier.

Let the eggs sit out on the counter for two days prior to cooking. Enzymes in the egg partially digest the membrane allowing easy peeling and no sticking.

Bender this is a method I have not heard of before and will give a shot….

Obviously it’s the sticking membrane that causes peeling woes and I’ve tried all methods listed with no real consistency..

I’ve come to accept there no perfect way that works 100% of the time but am always open to a new angle
^^^^^^^THIS, according to Deb & she's the eggspurt !
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
^^^^^^^THIS, according to Deb & she's the eggspurt !

Ha! That was good.
Older eggs peel easier.

It’s no more complicated than this.
I found this little video interesting
This one was interesting too
I could have mentioned, The eggs are made on the weekend for the upcoming weeks lunches,

Would that change anyones way of doing this?

Obviously if one finds a method that works you could after cooking peel all at one time for the following week…

Lots of good ideas here, thanks.
Older eggs peel easier.

Obviously it’s the sticking membrane that causes peeling woes and I’ve tried all methods listed with no real consistency..

I’ve come to accept there no perfect way that works 100% of the time but am always open to a new angle

This is what I've always heard and witnessed. Couldn't peel fresh eggs worth a dang, no matter how you cooked them.
I could have mentioned, The eggs are made on the weekend for the upcoming weeks lunches,

Obviously if one finds a method that works you could after cooking peel all at one time for the following week…

More options if peeling immediately. Typically, I’ll cook 6-12 and refrigerate, peeling as needed. I’ll just peel and eat.
Older eggs peel easier.

I forget where I first heard/read this, but it’s been flawless for me.

Retentive note: the eggs really should be cooked to hard, not hard boiled.
Enjoying this thread. Just built a hutch holding 6 chickens.
Older eggs peel easier.

Ok bender you lost me. Explain..?
When boiled at a hard boil, there are chemical changes in the yolk. Related to sulfur production, iirc. Ever see green around the yolk? Overtemp causes that reaction.

Use just enough heat for just enough time to have the yolk congeal.

Bring to boil, turn heat off. Large eggs are done in 12 minutes. Chill immediately.

https://www.chickenfans.com/egg-yolk-green/

Probably Flave because I've posted it here a dozen times.

No that won't affect it you moron.

Leave store bought eggs out for 3-5 days.

Put in pot.

Bring to roaring boil.

Kill heat.

Leave lid on.

Leave sit for ten minutes.

Peel and eat whenever you want.

One of the main reasons people struggle with hard boiled eggs is that they are dumb fugking white people.

Your fugking eggs don't need to be in the refrigerator before and after cooking. You can boil a dozen like this and grab 2-3 a day on your way out the door. By Friday they'll be gone. Do another batch on Sunday.

I promise your tummy tums will be OK despite what you were raised to believe.
No need to refrigerate even after cooking?

You’re trying to kill me.
Take a push pin or safety pin and pierce the large end of the egg to release the air bubble

Put into a pot of water to cover and bring to a boil

Cover and kill the heat, 17 minutes

Have a bowl of ice and water ready to place the eggs immediately after removing from the pot at 17 minutes
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Take a push pin or safety pin and pierce the large end of the egg to release the air bubble

Put into a pot of water to cover and bring to a boil

Cover and kill the heat, 17 minutes

Have a bowl of ice and water ready to place the eggs immediately after removing from the pot at 17 minutes

LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Holy schit he even saved it.

LMFAO
I've always took em straight out of the fridge, stuck em in a cooker full of water, turned heat on high, bring to a boil, turn heat off, cover pot and let pot set for 12 minutes. Never noticed a problem.
Bring the water to a boil then add the eggs, makes a big difference.
The recipe Eileen and I have been using is similar to the one rcamuglia posted, which we found somewhere:

Place eggs in pan, then fill with enough water to cover them at least an inch.
Heat until the water just comes to a boil.
Remove the pan from heat and wait 10 minutes.
Dump the hot water, and fill with cold water.
Wait another 10 minutes.

They peel perfectly, and it doesn't matter how old they are.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Bring the water to a boil then add the eggs, makes a big difference.

I believe she adds the eggs to room temp water and then starts the boil.

Thanks Rog.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The recipe Eileen and I have been using is similar to the one rcamuglia posted, which we found somewhere:

Place eggs in pan, then fill with enough water to cover them at least an inch.
Heat until the water just comes to a boil.
Remove the pan from heat and wait 10 minutes.
Dump the hot water, and fill with cold water.
Wait another 10 minutes.

They peel perfectly, and it doesn't matter how old they are.

MD, your adding to room temp water and then heating,

The opposite of several others…..

Maybe we just can’t cook eggs?

In the very near future I’ll be trying all these ideas,

Gonna need a Go Fund Me account for all these eggs.
I seem to do them in the evening
Toss em in the water. Bring up to a boil for 3ish minutes. Pull it off the stove, put a lid on it. I pull them outta the pot the next morning
Originally Posted by deflave

Probably Flave because I've posted it here a dozen times.
I’m aware that you’ve also posted this method, but i knew and used it before I’ve seen your posts on the subject.
Next week on "Cooking with Kenneth":

TOAST???
Originally Posted by deflave
Next week on "Cooking with Kenneth":

TOAST???

^^^^^Soup Nazi^^^^^^^

Lets figure the eggs out first……..

Stay tuned.
Put into boiling water. Lightly Salted. boil 8 minutes.

Why? Albumin is sticky. When you cook slow cook, you give it time to bind to that membrane. When you cook fast you damage the albumin, Think when you sear apce of meat or fish at hih heat the protein retracts and shrivels. You are breaking cells just touching the membrane. These broken cells then release water, which prevent binding to membrane.

After you cook, drain put eggs in a container and shake lightly to break shells, then put in cold water.

Shells should slip off easily
Verdict is in….

Adding eggs to boiling water makes a big difference,,,,

Let eggs sit on counter for about an hour,

Brought lightly salted water to boil,

Added 1 dozen eggs and set timer for 8 minutes,

After about 9 minutes into ice water,

Easiest eggs I’ve ever peeled.

Night and day difference.

You. Guys. Rock.
Verdict is in….

Adding eggs to boiling water makes a big difference,,,,

Let eggs sit on counter for about an hour,

Brought lightly salted water to boil,

Added 1 dozen eggs and set timer for 8 minutes,

After about 9 minutes into ice water,

Easiest eggs I’ve ever peeled.

Night and day difference.

You. Guys. Rock.
bring the water to a boil before you put the eggs in. put them in, can't remember how many minutes off the top of my head. have a bowl of ice water ready take the eggs straight from the pot into the ice water, once they cool off they peel easily. I do it like this when I make pickled eggs.

Yep, nailed it. Hot start (boil water before adding), 13 minutes, straight into ice water.95%+ easy peel.
when ya car don't work, call a gearhead. If the gun don't work, call a 'smith. When ya need help with poultry products, Call a poultry scientist--UGA, 1974 cum laude. Boiled eggs, perfectly done: put eggs on counter long enuff to come to room temp. put pasta pot on stove with water up to 1/2" below bottom of strainer. turn eye on under pot to hi heat. put eggs in strainer, evenly spaced. two layers ok. when water comes to hi boil, put strainer basket in pot and cover. for large eggs, go 18-19 minutes. may turn heat down a little to keep water from totally evaporating but keep producing that steam in quantity. remove strainer from pot and sit aside. pour water out of pot and rinse with cold water several times. rinse eggs in basket with cold water for a couple minutes. put strainer back in pot and add a quantity of ice to cover. open another beer and drink it slow. put pot on side of sink. turn water on to a trikle. beat egg on bottom of sink all around and hold under slow running cold water and squeeze gently. may roll it around a little on bottom. place in zip bag. this is an adaptation of the way commercial boilers cook and peel theirs. If come out soft, increase hold time or boil time. I generally put mine out overnite or 1st think in am, depending on when I want to peel. should be no green ring if properly done. can adjust to Xlg eggs by adding 3 minutes to boil time. don't reccomend using jumbo's as white integrity not good on them.

This^^^
Easiest peel ever. Drop the temp to a fast simmer after adding eggs to the boil. I like mine cooked for 13-14 minutes.
Originally Posted by NVhntr

This^^^
Easiest peel ever. Drop the temp to a fast simmer after adding eggs to the boil. I like mine cooked for 13-14 minutes.

Fair enough, seems several ways to do it,

But like I mentioned above,
Room temp eggs,
8 minutes boiling water,
Let sit maybe one more minute and then cool by whatever means you like,
Best Hard boiled eggs I’ve ever had.

Thanks to all who offered ideas here.
If you want a real challenge, start poaching eggs. Something that seems relatively simple, poaching an egg is damned hard to get right.

For me, anyway. I have watched a ridiculous amount of videos on how to poach eggs. Still suck at it.
Originally Posted by auk1124
If you want a real challenge, start poaching eggs. Something that seems relatively simple, poaching an egg is damned hard to get right.

For me, anyway. I have watched a ridiculous amount of videos on how to poach eggs. Still suck at it.

Challenge accepted.
Put room temp eggs in steamer basket and steam for 10 to 13 minutes, dunk in cold water and Crack and peel under cold running water
Lots of ways to boil an egg... tip... it's the ice water.

Kent

PS... once when I was a kid my grandfather found an egg in the old storage shed, the one with black widows and scorpions so we weren't allowed in it, it was a ways from the chicken coops. He shook it next to his ear and then said watch this... threw it on the ground and it went off like a cherry bomb... it was just a bit to old to boil...
Get a colander/strainer thingy and put eggs in that. Put water in pan so it just about touches the eggs. Put a lid on the pan that fits tight and steam them.

I have even wrapped the top of the kettle with one of those really big grandmother type white dish towels.

My wife is a food safety nazi and eggs on the counter overnight is another reason for her to yell at me again.

Holy crap, I had no idea how many different methods would be posted. To cook an egg, of all things! I don't doubt that there are numerous methods that work great though.

I simply steam eggs for 15 minutes, then run cold water over them. Easy to peal, no stank, no green yolks, no measuring, no staging on the counter days in advance, no ice water, no pushpin to release air, etc.

Just steam the suckers. They heat relatively slowly which seems to be the key to success and turn out great. Very consistent.

I used to bring water and eggs to a boil then let them poach for a certain amount of time off of the burner. It mostly worked well, but not always. Sometimes they were hard to peel, had green yolks, or had some stank. Steamed eggs have been foolproof. Maybe elevation and cooking time were factors. I don't know, but it's so easy to get consistent results by steaming them.
When I was younger and working in a restaurant kitchen we would boil 4-5 dozen at a time.
Put eggs in a big pot with hot water out of the tap, bring to boil for few minutes. Remove pot to big ass sink let sit for a few minutes, Then run cold water until I could put my hand in and grab eggs.
Roll eggs on counter shells just fall off when they are still hot and rubbery. Only lost a couple at times, I ate them HaHa.
charlee
I,oven cook dozens at a time..peeling comes and go ...easy chit tho
Did ya'll know if you put a raw egg in a microwave and try to cook it, it will explode with a nice sound and enough force to blow the microwave door open and egg will go everywhere?

My 12 year old daughter does! 🙄
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Did ya'll know if you put a raw egg in a microwave and try to cook it, it will explode with a nice sound and enough force to blow the microwave door open and egg will go everywhere?

I've tried poaching eggs in the microwave. Little bit of water in a coffee cup, plop an egg in, nuke for a few seconds.

Never could get it right. The yolk either solidifies or the white is undercooked. If there's a sweet spot in there that will make a decent poached egg, I couldn't find it.

I've tried poaching eggs in the microwave. Little bit of water in a coffee cup, plop an egg in, nuke for a few seconds.

Never could get it right. The yolk either solidifies or the white is undercooked. If there's a sweet spot in there that will make a decent poached egg, I couldn't find it.
Never personally tried that, but intuitively, it seems like a coffee cup is too narrow. Perhaps a saucer would work mo betta?

Never personally tried that, but intuitively, it seems like a coffee cup is too narrow. Perhaps a saucer would work mo betta?

Possible. I may give it another shot.
Let us know?
Let us know?

Will do. I will give it a shot tomorrow for breakfast.
© 24hourcampfire