Home
Posted By: kenacp Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/23/22
Cooked a half of a brisket and was thinking about putting the other half through the grinder to make some burgers. It was cheaper than ground meat from the grocery. Anyone do this? How did they come out?
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/23/22
I’ve added it in with my deer burger plenty of times when it was on sale. I’ve not ground one alone for burger. The brisket that I’m talking about normally is from a Kroger grocery store. It had had some fat trimmed off. So for me/us I would add a little fat to it. Other than that I believe it would be great burger. A local store carries what they call brisket burgers and I’ve had them at friends houses. They’re good. I’ve just never bought any because we put up all our burger from deer/beef fat.

I would do it in a second if we needed or could use some more burger.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
I'm going to make tamales with one.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
High roller!

With the way brisket costs...you should be making tamales with rib steaks.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I bet those are damn good Roger. I love any homemade tamales!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
Brisket is good as corned beef, or cooked most any way, I'd not grind it.
Originally Posted by kenacp
Cooked a half of a brisket and was thinking about putting the other half through the grinder to make some burgers. It was cheaper than ground meat from the grocery. Anyone do this? How did they come out?

Just smoke it, chop it up, and serve on Hamburger buns. Add some pickles, onions, and BBQ sauce.
The TX BBQ joints make a small fortune down here selling chopped beef BBQ sandwiches.
Posted By: nahma_mich Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
Wife had some Brisket ground up for burgers a week or so ago. Best burger We ever had. Got the idea from watching the cooking channel.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
Chopped brisket is good but like he’s saying brisket is cheaper than burger when on sale. Kroger had it a couple weeks ago for $1.99. I guess burger is double that? I haven’t been in the market for burger in 8-10 years I guess.

We do really like it smoked and chopped too. My wife fixes some kind of potatoes not all the way mashed with some cheese added. Pile the meat on top eat with a pickle a pepper and corn bread. Local restaurant serves it that way so that’s where the idea came from.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
A local eatery serves a brisket burger, best thing on the menu it's my choice nearly every time we dine there.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Chopped brisket is good but like he’s saying brisket is cheaper than burger when on sale. Kroger had it a couple weeks ago for $1.99. I guess burger is double that? I haven’t been in the market for burger in 8-10 years I guess.

We do really like it smoked and chopped too. My wife fixes some kind of potatoes not all the way mashed with some cheese added. Pile the meat on top eat with a pickle a pepper and corn bread. Local restaurant serves it that way so that’s where the idea came from.

Yep. I eat it like that on a big ole home baked Potato.
Mom would add home made pinto, or red beans, as we call them, to hers. I like my red beans on the side, with a big chunk of hot, buttered cornbread.
Smoked Ham is good that way too. 🤠
I used some fat off a brisket in some ground venison once. It was good but I dont remember it blowing my skirt up.
Posted By: deflave Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
Before brisket became so fugking popular my uncle and I would would have a whole packer ground up regularly.

Salt and pepper the to hell and smash them as thin as you can on your griddle (you can grill them too but fried is preferred) and serve with some onions sauteed in butter and let a slice of cheese melt on top to hold the onions on.

Use a thinnish type of bread/bun so it doesn't take away from the burger itself.

Stupid fugking white people to hungry little Guatemalans will tell you it's the best burger they ever had.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22

I picked up 4 briskets during that sale and was thinking of the burger thing in case we ever ran out of venison. Looked up the fat percentage of brisket and it is roughly 14-17%. Should be perfect for burger.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/24/22
Do it all the time with my brisket trimmings 80/20. Delicious.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/25/22
Originally Posted by deflave
Before brisket became so fugking popular my uncle and I would would have a whole packer ground up regularly.

Salt and pepper the to hell and smash them as thin as you can on your griddle (you can grill them too but fried is preferred) and serve with some onions sauteed in butter and let a slice of cheese melt on top to hold the onions on.

Use a thinnish type of bread/bun so it doesn't take away from the burger itself.

Stupid fugking white people to hungry little Guatemalans will tell you it's the best burger they ever had.

I’d give it a whirl as well. Sounds good as hell.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/25/22
i prefer to season brisket and very slowly cook it in a covered roaster or church cooker with the brisket on a grate above 1 inch of water that has liquid smoke in that 1 inch of water 7-8 hours 200 degrees then cool brisket somewhat slice it thick like bacon. if its good corn fed beef meat.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/25/22
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

I picked up 4 briskets during that sale and was thinking of the burger thing in case we ever ran out of venison. Looked up the fat percentage of brisket and it is roughly 14-17%. Should be perfect for burger.

I bet that turns out great. Let us know if you end up that route.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kenacp

Just smoke it, chop it up, and serve on Hamburger buns. Add some pickles, onions, and BBQ sauce.
The TX BBQ joints make a small fortune down here selling chopped beef BBQ sandwiches.

^^^^^^
Ain’t brisket good for EVERYTHING???!!! Love brisket! Was just down to Hilton Head on vacation last week and visited my favorite restaurant, One Hot Mama’s, and once again had their Burnt Ends Chili, brisket, and ribs and jalapeño cornbread. Brisket for burgers? Hells Yeah!

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: ld7009 Re: Brisket for Hamburgers? - 08/30/22
Just keep it simple. Grind use a little fat that will render make Pattie’s 1/3 to 1/2 lb add salt and pepper to both sides grill until med well
And you will have a great burger. Brisket is outstanding for burgers. I think there the best.
Just don’t over season and keep it simple
© 24hourcampfire