Home
I am a proud Weber Kettle guy. Love cooking over the coal. Do 15 hour smokes to 15 minute burgers.

For ribeye, love thin cut for 1-1.5 minutes a side on my cast iron in the house. Made plenty on the Weber, but i default back to the thin cut on cast.

How should I be making these in the kettle?

Edit to add, I am looking to do thick on the charcoal.
I just cooked some thick cut over charcoal. Averaged about 10 min per side. But I had the vents closed over half way to keep from charring too bad.
Use a basket for the coals.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't cook with charcoal, at all. But for any steaks worthy of a grill (thin ones under 3/4" should be fajita fixings) should be seared at 700° plus and then rested for a few. IMHO. Hard seared ribeye fat melt is a beautiful thing. But I'm in my own world.

Zero clue how to cook on charcoal so I don't know if this is time effective or possible (why I grill on wood only)......
Yep. Indirect for the thick stuff.

Keep off the coals until about 110 internal and then put steak over the coals to finish.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Keep off the coals until about 110 internal and then put steak over the coals to finish.

Jimbo - indirect is for briskets and butts....grin.
Jim, you talking about the Caveman style? Slow cook to just below desired temp, blow or fan the ashes off the charcoal then sear the steak right on the red coals, 30 sec/side.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Jim, you talking about the Caveman style? Slow cook to just below desired temp, blow or fan the ashes off the charcoal then sear the steak right on the red coals, 30 sec/side.

No. Just have the coals in the kettle off to one side.
Thanks fellas. Indirect. On it.
Sear over lump pushed to one side of grill then bring to desired temp indirect.
How thick is thick?
Finish it off with some A1
That would finish it off all right.
Do a pre cook soak in some Dale's or Allegro fake soy sauce marinade while you're at it.
What a bunch of Karen’s

Light your charcoal, arrange it how ya want it when it’s ready. Then grill your fugking Ribeye.
Definitely marinade in Italian dressing prior.
I get thick cut ribeyes and reverse sear them...put them in the oven at low temp until the internal temperature of each steak is about 110, while having the Weber kettle burning coal until it's as hot as it gets.

About 3-4 minutes per side on the steaks and let them rest. Great crust, still red inside.

I think it's basically what Mr. Jim said, but I have had terrible luck with getting meat up to about 110 on a charcoal grill. It always seems to burn too hot, so I do the oven reverse sear to start them off.
How thick is thick?
1"+.
Got a little hotter on me than expected before the reverse sear, so I did a quick sear. Pulled at 130. Delicious as expected, but the quest is far from over.

I can do better...
1" isn't particularly thick. No need for two stage cooking. Just let them sit out of the fridge for at least an hour before you grill them. When you grill the right color onto the outside the inside will be just right after a post grilling rest.
I'm on the same page as GregW and mathman. Let them get to room temp. Get the grill hot; above 500º. Cook for about 2min a side and let rest for 10mins before cutting into them.

If they were super thick, I could get on board with a reverse sear. Not thinking that's needed for a 1" steak.

I forget which poster told about it, but I'd love to sous vide one in butter and then sear it!
Anything over a inch is a roast.

yep, for thicker cuts over 1 1/2. Otherwise as stated room temp, rub with some oil season salt, pepper, high temp on each side direct here.

Let sit 5 min. I cover with a piece of foil. Pat of butter on top
Inch and a half steak,room temp,grill as hot as you can get it,steak in middle count to 50 , flip count to 50 , place on plate with tater, salad, other fixings , enjoy
I think that you can make a killer steak on a screaming hot cast iron pan. The crust being key. Add butter and if you want, fresh herbs or garlic. Hard to do that on a grill.

I mention that only because on a grill, I want some char and some smoke flavor. Even a gas grill will give a little of that smoke flavor but I think a steak rub helps some as it's still mild.

I don't know anything about briquettes but I like mesquite lump with a few handfuls of wood chips/chunks or even pellets.

All that stated, I think that the best steaks that I have ever eaten were cooked on wood embers. Might be a primal thing.
To clarify and answer the question more directly... lump or wood embers in the Weber. Screaming hot. Melt your face off hot. I don't think that you can do that with a gas or pellet grill? It's amazing really.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think that you can make a killer steak on a screaming hot cast iron pan. The crust being key. Add butter and if you want, fresh herbs or garlic. Hard to do that on a grill.

I mention that only because on a grill, I want some char and some smoke flavor. Even a gas grill will give a little of that smoke flavor but I think a steak rub helps some as it's still mild.

I don't know anything about briquettes but I like mesquite lump with a few handfuls of wood chips/chunks or even pellets.

All that stated, I think that the best steaks that I have ever eaten were cooked on wood embers. Might be a primal thing.

I've always preferred charcoal (hardwood) to gas for grilling but my wife and kids don't like the charcoal flavor. The compromise for us was a pellet grill but it doesn't get hot enough for a good sear on steaks. For me, a perfect steak has a little charred crust/bark on the outside and is red in the middle and I haven't been able to achieve that on a pellet grill. I have had success smoking steaks on the pellet grill to an internal temp of 100-110 and moving to a hot cast iron pan with butter to finish it:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gives it a little smoke flavor but not overpowering, and a decent sear...
To clarify and answer the question more directly... lump or wood embers in the Weber. Screaming hot. Melt your face off hot. I don't think that you can do that with a gas or pellet grill? It's amazing really.

Reminds me of my first tri-tip on the charcoal Weber kettle - was struggling to get it as hot as I wanted so used my wife's blow dryer to 'fan the flame'. Did such a good job, I used the leaf blower on the next one grin
Leaf blower! That's awesome!

I know what you mean about the charcoal flavor. I like mesquite lump, but I could understand why some people wouldn't. The only thing that I really don't care for is the popping and sparking. Maybe I need to find some better lump.

I definitely agree on a good sear and crust. I know people who were not happy with their early Traegers because of the low temperatures, but I've heard some new pellet grills get much hotter.

Good looking steak in the picture.
Hmmm, trip to Costco for some Prime grade appears in order...
Originally Posted by mathman
How thick is thick?

used to get ribeyes cut at a country store.

kept the ribeyes in beer cooler...

lady always cut "inch and a pinch" which was 1 1/4 - 1 3/8 depending on her mood...
Leaf blower! That's awesome!

I know what you mean about the charcoal flavor. I like mesquite lump, but I could understand why some people wouldn't. The only thing that I really don't care for is the popping and sparking. Maybe I need to find some better lump.

I definitely agree on a good sear and crust. I know people who were not happy with their early Traegers because of the low temperatures, but I've heard some new pellet grills get much hotter.

Good looking steak in the picture.

Popping and sparking is easy to control. Brown paper bag filled with charcoal and warmed in a low oven or dehydrator and stored in tightly sealed plastic bag will eliminate almost all of those little steam explosions.

Do not use the bags it comes in.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Anything over a inch is a roast.

Buying or cutting, 2 fingers thick !

Anything thinner is a minute steak, fit only for a steak sandwich !
Originally Posted by JGray

I've always preferred charcoal (hardwood) to gas for grilling but my wife and kids don't like the charcoal flavor. The compromise for us was a pellet grill but it doesn't get hot enough for a good sear on steaks. For me, a perfect steak has a little charred crust/bark on the outside and is red in the middle and I haven't been able to achieve that on a pellet grill. I have had success smoking steaks on the pellet grill to an internal temp of 100-110 and moving to a hot cast iron pan with butter to finish it:

Damn man, that’s some epic lookin meat right there!! Wow 👊🏻
If Covid didn’t kill you and you can’t grill a Ribeye, GFY
Man you all must have some good jobs to afford rib eyes???only thing I can afford maybe twice a year is round steak..
Bullshit...you always preferred tube steak anyways....
Bullshit...you always preferred tube steak anyways....

Jimmy just because you are chitting in a bucket due to no running water doesn’t mean you have to act out..
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by JGray

Damn man, that’s some epic lookin meat right there!! Wow 👊🏻

When wife is out of town and it's just me, supper looks more like this (Weber kettle and hardwood lump):

But back to the original post, I prefer a thicker cut for grilling 1" minimum, preferably thicker. Easier to get a good sear without overcooking the center...
Throw on some garlic mash and substitute for Single Barrel Jack....and you just built my last supper.
Fire as hot as possible.
Little oil rubbed on the meat to help it crust.
Damn near burn it, flip.
Damn near burn it.
Eat.

Seasoning to suit.
I like a cap on, rib steak, why grind the cap?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I like a cap on, rib steak, why grind the cap?
You’re supposed to wear a cowboy hat not a cap.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Fire as hot as possible.
Little oil rubbed on the meat to help it crust.
Damn near burn it, flip.
Damn near burn it.
Eat.

Seasoning to suit.
That’s about how I do it. No oil though
With a charcoal grill that is built to hold heat and control air flow, You can cook a thick steak over the coals without burning the meat black. I do it all the time with 2" Prime Ribeyes on a PK Grill You just have to learn how to set the vents so the charcoal stays hot but doesn't have enough air to support flame. I had a Weber Kettle first. it does some things pretty well. A PK is an upgrade.
Pork Butts $.99 lb.

9.5 hrs. Later
2” Costco ribeyes, after a rub/marinade, move the charcoal when burning well to one side, cook most of the way on the “cold” side, searing for a minute or two over the hot side.

At 435-450*, takes 20-25 minutes. The thermometer in the lid of the Weber is very useful.
© 24hourcampfire