Home
Posted By: Ella Pecan season? - 11/14/22
We use them in everything from pies to pesto. This was a good season. The dogs lay out in the yard crunching them.

Novel ideas?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pecan season? - 11/14/22
I sure do miss the homemade Pecan Pies my Mom used to make with them. 😢
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Pecan season? - 11/14/22
GamGam would bak em in the oven with brown sugar.

Woo weeee.

My other memaw made pecan crescent cookies.

Woo weee.

And made pumpkin bread in coffee cans. Used pecans in that also.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Pecan season? - 11/14/22
We are a no go this season...

But last year was nuts (quite literally)... IIRC we gifted away hundreds of pounds...

Posted By: CashisKing Re: Pecan season? - 11/14/22
Originally Posted by Ella
We use them in everything from pies to pesto. This was a good season. The dogs lay out in the yard crunching them.

Novel ideas?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great stuff!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Pecan season? - 11/15/22
I have 3 pecan trees, 2 of which were here when I was a kid, and I'm 72. It's been several years since they had pecans on them. Sure would like to see a bumper crop like we use to get.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Pecan season? - 11/15/22
Make pralines and give them away as Christmas gifts to your friends and neighbors.
Posted By: wytex Re: Pecan season? - 11/16/22
Use the picked clean hulls for smoking.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Pecan season? - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have 3 pecan trees, 2 of which were here when I was a kid, and I'm 72. It's been several years since they had pecans on them. Sure would like to see a bumper crop like we use to get.

Some trees go as long as ten years between crops. Too much rain or not enough will stress them. They need fertilizer twice a year and might need some type of spraying to control pests. We only had seven when I was a kid but one was over a 100 years old and still produced some good crops. Do you know which variety you have?
© 24hourcampfire