Home
Posted By: 4th_point Cajun or Creole - 11/20/22
This might seem like a stupid question, but can anyone explain the differences between Cajun and Creole cooking? I thought that I knew, but realize that I have no clue and the more that I read about it online the less it makes sense from an outsider's perspective.

Any forum members from LA that can enlighten me on this?
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/20/22
Not from LA but I know one difference is that Creole uses a lot more tomatoes.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/20/22
Originally Posted by 4th_point
This might seem like a stupid question, but can anyone explain the differences between Cajun and Creole cooking? I thought that I knew, but realize that I have no clue and the more that I read about it online the less it makes sense from an outsider's perspective.

Any forum members from LA that can enlighten me on this?

In 2022 there is no difference.

They're so deeply melded now that they're one, and the same.
Posted By: mathman Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/20/22
Not entirely true.

I can tell the difference between a Creole and a Cajun gumbo from across the room.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/21/22
Creole food is black people food and cajun is poor white trash food.
Posted By: Judman Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/21/22
Whatcha wantin to do Jason?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Just spit my beer out, Jim! That cracked me up.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by Judman
Whatcha wantin to do Jason?

Beats the hell out of me, Judman! Just trying to figure out what's what. I've made some gumbo, and eaten Canjun food in restaurants (supposedly) but like Deflave mentioned there might not be a difference with Creole. I don't discount what Mathman and Shaun say either.

I need to visit Florida to see family soon, and was thinking about driving. A highlight for me would be to eat some good food along the way. Especially in LA. But I thought it might help to educate myself a bit.

You have any favorite recipes that you'd like to share?
Posted By: Judman Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Ya, gotta gumbo recipe that’ll make ya reach around yo momma and slap your grandma!! It uses Cajun 👊🏻
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
I prefer Creole. Creole is new Orleans style. Cajun is country food around Lafayette area. Cajun is much simpler style
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Send Oldman03, a P.M. He is Born and Raised in Lousyanner, and a damn good cook,and wife is a great cook. Rio7
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Randy (Oldman03) cooked the best mudbugs that I ever ate, a couple of different times. Does a good beef steak too. miles
Posted By: deflave Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Not entirely true.

I can tell the difference between a Creole and a Cajun gumbo from across the room.

Sure you can.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Do we dare to bring up okra in gumbo? Creole yes, Cajun no.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by RIO7
Send Oldman03, a P.M. He is Born and Raised in Lousyanner, and a damn good cook,and wife is a great cook. Rio7

Wouldn't it make more sense for Oldman to respond on here?

LOL

Fugkin' retard.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
deflave, Randy is taking care of his wife right now a may not respond on the fire, don't be such a ASSWHOLE, i know that's hard for a little kid like you, go have a drink you will feel better. Rio7
Posted By: mathman Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by deflave
Not entirely true.

Sure you can.

Damn right I can.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Just spit my beer out, Jim! That cracked me up.

Simplisticly true, though.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
Popeyes=Creole, Bojangles=Cajun.

Closest I’ve been to either is I got trashed and wound up at a party that had a zydeco band playing one night in Little Rock, Arkansas of all places.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
Not entirely true.

Sure you can.

Damn right I can.

Great.

Answer the OP’s question.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
I'm not entirely sure, but I travel around that area a fair bit and I believe a previous post correctly defined it as a difference in the tomato base. Creole is definitely more tomato based and cajun uses a roux.

If I'm right, what do I get??
Posted By: mathman Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
Creole uses roux, just generally a lighter one. If there's tomato it's likely Creole. Creole jambalaya will look red, Cajun will be brown.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
Ya, gotta gumbo recipe that’ll make ya reach around yo momma and slap your grandma!! It uses Cajun 👊🏻

Man, post the recipe here. I'd like to try it.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
So Cajun food has no tomato. And darker roux. As an outsider, it doesn't seem like a vast difference but I think that I get it. Those could be huge differences to some people in LA.

Anyone know the history of the tomato free Cajun food? I thought tomatoes were widespread in the New World. Unless the original Acadians didn't have them in Acadia and didn't adopt them in their LA cuisine?

All my Cajun cooking knowledge comes from Justin Wilson but it seems that he wasn't even Acadian.
Posted By: Judman Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22

Jason, this pm style shiit! Thank me later 👊🏻
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/27/22
So Cajun food has no tomato. And darker roux. As an outsider, it doesn't seem like a vast difference but I think that I get it. Those could be huge differences to some people in LA.

Anyone know the history of the tomato free Cajun food? I thought tomatoes were widespread in the New World. Unless the original Acadians didn't have them in Acadia and didn't adopt them in their LA cuisine?

All my Cajun cooking knowledge comes from Justin Wilson but it seems that he wasn't even Acadian.
Use to watch him a lot, and according to him, He was half Acadian.
Creole uses roux, just generally a lighter one. If there's tomato it's likely Creole. Creole jambalaya will look red, Cajun will be brown.

Oh well glad we got that nailed down.

LOL

You’re a few posts away from being full enlightened.

LOL

Jason, this pm style shiit! Thank me later 👊🏻

Secret PM cook info time?

LOL
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/28/22
I sense a

You’re a few posts away from being full enlightened.

LOL

I sense a Cajun/Creole masterclass coming from deflave? If so, send it man!
Posted By: deflave Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/28/22

Don't exist, brah.

Probably did at one time but it's all bullschit now. That state is too blended.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 11/28/22

Don't exist, brah.

Probably did at one time but it's all bullschit now. That state is too blended.

Understood. Thanks for posting in the thread. I need to find a Bojangles.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Cajun or Creole - 12/01/22
I'm a fan of blackened chicken and pork. I like Zatarain's and Cajun's Choice.

Is it Cajun, Creole, or neither? Just a Chef Prudhomme creation?
Posted By: deflave Re: Cajun or Creole - 12/01/22
I'm a fan of blackened chicken and pork. I like Zatarain's and Cajun's Choice.

Is it Cajun, Creole, or neither? Just a Chef Prudhomme creation?

Great question.

Tony Chacheres says "Creole Seasoning" but I sure seen a lot of dirty cajuns using it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Cajun or Creole - 12/01/22
Tony was born in Opelousas which is Cajun country. He may have gone with Creole as the description for broader market appeal. Cajuns can be crafty like that. grin
© 24hourcampfire