Home
Posted By: Steve Pastrami - 03/07/23
Since it's getting close to St. Paddy's day, fresh corned beef is going to be on sale. I've made cured my own corned beef before, but going to just buy a few packages for this project.

Any good recipes or tips for pastrami you'd like to share? Will be using a pellet <gasp!> smoker.

Thanks!
Posted By: OKRuss Re: Pastrami - 03/07/23
Here's a recipe that I've used with elk/venison and turns out really good.

Venison/Elk pastrami – cured not brined

Cure:
1/4 C curing salt
2 T brown sugar
1 T black pepper
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 t paprika
1 t allspice

Rub:
3 T black pepper
1 t coriander(optional)
1 t garlic powder

Meat: 2-4 lb whole muscle. I use the large roasts from the hindquarters, preferably not the football ones.

Mix cure and coat meat thoroughly. Place in gallon zip lock bag and refrigerate. Turn bag 1-2 times a day(I do one) for at least 5 days. Remove from bag and rinse off cure, then soak in water for a few hours or overnight(I usually do just 1 hour). Remove from water and pat dry.

Coat with rub and then smoke until internal temperature reaches 140-150. Let rest and cool, then slice for sandwiches. It slices much better cold.

You will notice a lot of liquid in the bag after 1-2 days, but it nearly all is soaked back up. I have made it without soaking in water but it tends to be salty. I have found 1-2 hours is enough at least for my tastes. For the smoker, hickory is my choice then pecan. A lighter smoke like apple would work too.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pastrami - 03/07/23
So, is the meat to become pastrami called futurerami, and while it is in the process of becoming pastrami is it called just plain rami?
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Pastrami - 03/07/23
Tag
Posted By: Steve Re: Pastrami - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
So, is the meat to become pastrami called futurerami, and while it is in the process of becoming pastrami is it called just plain rami?

Enough of the (5s)dad jokes...
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pastrami - 03/07/23
Steve,

When you say fresh, do you just mean brisket, or corned/cured muscle ?

If corned/cured already, rub up with you choice, let dry marinate in fridge for a couple days, rinse well, rub again & head to the smoker.

If from scratch muscle, Steve Rinella has a really good Pastrami recipe.

I'll try to remember to snap a pic, tonight.
Figured this was easier !

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/trophy-meals-elk-pastrami

Canada goose 'strami is great too !

Posted By: Steve Re: Pastrami - 03/08/23
Thanks. By fresh I meant pre-cured. Confusing, sorry. Like I said I've cured corned beef (and caribou) at home before. This time I'm just going to buy a couple pre-cured flats and use them for pastrami.

Thanks for the vids!
Posted By: selmer Re: Pastrami - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by OKRuss
Here's a recipe that I've used with elk/venison and turns out really good.

Venison/Elk pastrami – cured not brined

Cure:
1/4 C curing salt
2 T brown sugar
1 T black pepper
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 t paprika
1 t allspice

Rub:
3 T black pepper
1 t coriander(optional)
1 t garlic powder

Meat: 2-4 lb whole muscle. I use the large roasts from the hindquarters, preferably not the football ones.

Mix cure and coat meat thoroughly. Place in gallon zip lock bag and refrigerate. Turn bag 1-2 times a day(I do one) for at least 5 days. Remove from bag and rinse off cure, then soak in water for a few hours or overnight(I usually do just 1 hour). Remove from water and pat dry.

Coat with rub and then smoke until internal temperature reaches 140-150. Let rest and cool, then slice for sandwiches. It slices much better cold.

You will notice a lot of liquid in the bag after 1-2 days, but it nearly all is soaked back up. I have made it without soaking in water but it tends to be salty. I have found 1-2 hours is enough at least for my tastes. For the smoker, hickory is my choice then pecan. A lighter smoke like apple would work too.

Define "curing salt". Morton Tenderquick? Kosher salt? Cure #1? Because if it's the last one you're running the risk of nitrite poisoning.
Posted By: OKRuss Re: Pastrami - 03/08/23
Morton Tenderquick. Pink salt.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pastrami - 03/08/23
Where is the ginger? Traditional pastrami relied heavily on it.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Pastrami - 03/08/23
I rinse then soak store packed CB overnight to get the salt out. Then low and slow. Usually amazed at the shrinkage.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Pastrami - 03/08/23
This is elk or deer, can't remember. I don't remember how I did it,but it was something close to those posted above. I need to do it again. So good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Pastrami - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by OKRuss
Morton Tenderquick. Pink salt.

Morton Tenderquick is NOT the same as (Pink Salt or Cure #1 or Prague Powder or whatever other name you want to use). They can NOT be used interchangeably in the same amounts.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Pastrami - 03/09/23
Hank Shaw has a good pastrami recipe for using with deer roasts.
Posted By: OKRuss Re: Pastrami - 03/09/23
Disregard my reference to pink salt then. The recipe I posted used Morton's Tender Quick.
Posted By: Steve Re: Pastrami - 03/09/23
Picked up a couple flats. Will be soaking them tomorrow and putting them in the smoker Saturday (or Sunday).

Thanks guys!
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Pastrami - 03/10/23
If I remember, I think my pastrami brine is 10 days.
Posted By: Steve Re: Pastrami - 03/11/23
Just took the two store bought flats out of the soak

[Linked Image]

And rubbed the up and put them in the smoker at ~225F

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pastrami - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

3 minutes before this idiot gets started... and goes downhill from there...
Posted By: Steve Re: Pastrami - 03/12/23
Finished!

[Linked Image]

Edited: It's awesome. Screwed up on the slices shown as they were with the grain. Added those to the breakfast hash pile.

Seriously thinking of getting a few more corned beef flats and doing some more. 'Cause it's so good I'm going to be really sad when it runs out.
© 24hourcampfire