Home
Posted By: Jcubed The Topic: Fish Sauce - 05/31/23
So, I have been using Thai Kitchen fish sauce to give that umami punch to many dishes.

Do any of you fine cooks have a preferred brand of fish sauce?

Thanks In Advance
Posted By: MickinColo Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 05/31/23
An employee use to bring that stuff to work, it was so nasty smelling I had to leave the shop to eat lunch.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 05/31/23
Originally Posted by MickinColo
An employee use to bring that stuff to work, it was so nasty smelling I had to leave the shop to eat lunch.

Best used in small quantities to bring a little salt and umami to dishes. When mixed in there is no residual fishy taste or smell. It is also used in many Asian dishes.

Ymmv
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
Ill admit, i dont even know what that is…

In the dirty south, we eat fish one way…

Fried…. 😂😂😂
Posted By: Jcubed Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Ill admit, i dont even know what that is…

In the dirty south, we eat fish one way…

Fried…. 😂😂😂

Fred,

Here's a link to what I'm referencing.

FishSauce
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
Thanks!

Ill look for it at the grocery store / Walmarks.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
I think it’s a fairly standard formula for stability.

It’s what you do with it that makes the difference. As you know, it’s widely used in Vietnamese food. Every Vietnamese woman has her own uses and recipes for it.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
I used to work with a guy that lived with a Veitnamese woman. He ate it on his food. It stunk up the whole galley.
They put fish on a wire rack with a catch pan under it. The drippings have salt added and it is bottled. The first drippings they catch are considered the best.
After the guy explained what fish sauce is I would never knowingly eat it.
Try some...in stews, pasta sauce, soup, Asian dishes, etc...it tastes great.

I too was hesitant the first time, but the results were outstanding.

Ymmv
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
Yep, always a big bottle in the fridge.

Couldn't tell you what brand, though !
99s,

I figured your household may enjoy fish sauce.

Regards
OK, it's this 1 !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
grin
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/01/23
Just got schooled a week or so ago in a local Asian market. There were well over a dozen options from a lot of countries. In general Thai sauce is the lightest, followed by Lao, VN, and Cambodia. The strongest comes from the Philippines.

There is a huge range in quality and it ferments for 6 months to years in jars or barrels, packed in salt.

I picked up a Thai and a Philippine example. They are very different. I have been using it for a very long time but had no idea how important it actually is.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
OK, it's this 1 !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I can find it I will purchase to try it out. Thanks 99s!
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just got schooled a week or so ago in a local Asian market. There were well over a dozen options from a lot of countries. In general Thai sauce is the lightest, followed by Lao, VN, and Cambodia. The strongest comes from the Philippines.

There is a huge range in quality and it ferments for 6 months to years in jars or barrels, packed in salt.

I picked up a Thai and a Philippine example. They are very different. I have been using it for a very long time but had no idea how important it actually is.

Agreed. I live very rural atm so inquiring about favorite brands to find and taste.

Thanks!
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/02/23
Have not seen that here, but have and have used oyster sauce. (Yes, I know they’re different).

A few months back, I remember kamo referring to anchovy paste in a dish.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/02/23
I use it as well, whatever brand I get ahold of here. It should be added at the last minute to a dish. If you're making a soup and put it in while boiling most of the flavor will be lost. Splash it in just before serving.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/02/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
Have not seen that here, but have and have used oyster sauce. (Yes, I know they’re different).

A few months back, I remember kamo referring to anchovy paste in a dish.

Actually came back to the thread to suggest anchovy paste. I always keep a tube around.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/02/23
Great minds, eh?
👊
Posted By: Steve Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/04/23
To you guys new to it and buying, a little goes a long ways. You can always add more. And once mixed into something it loses most of it's pungentness.
Guy I used to work with ate raw onions with nuoc mam fish sauce.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/04/23
Love the stuff. Can’t help you on brand. I usually use whatever the local pho joint has out in their little containers.

Call a local Thai or pho place and ask.
Posted By: CWT Re: The Topic: Fish Sauce - 06/05/23
Three Crabs Brands is what I use. You will have to get it at an Asian market though. Red Boat is considered the best but it too expensive in my opinion and while better it isn't much better.
© 24hourcampfire