Home
Posted By: Sweets Corned venison - 10/25/23
Made 35 pounds of venison into corned "beef". Then I pressure canned 20 jars with meat,shredded potatoes and onions for corned beef hash, and 25 jars for regular meals. I like opening a jar to make Reubens or any cornbeef dinners. Delicious!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Corned venison - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by Sweets
Made 35 pounds of venison into corned "beef". Then I pressure canned 20 jars with meat,shredded potatoes and onions for corned beef hash, and 25 jars for regular meals. I like opening a jar to make Reubens or any cornbeef dinners. Delicious!

That sounds darned good. Never done it.

Recipe?
Posted By: Sweets Re: Corned venison - 10/25/23
Cut up meat into approximately 2" cubes. I used 2 food grade buckets to put the meat and brine in. I used 2 batches of brine for the amount I had.

Brine recipe :

1 gallon spring water (no tap/chlorine water)
1 cup pickling salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T pickling spice
4 tsp #1 cure salt(nitrite)
6 cloves of garlic

Heat to dissolve, LET COOL,pour over meat and refrigerate 4-5 days. Put a plate on top of meat and weigh it down to keep meat under brine. Stir everyday.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Corned venison - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Sweets

That sounds darned good. Never done it.

Recipe?

That does sound good.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Corned venison - 10/27/23
What's your mix/ratios for the hash? I corn venison every year, never thought to can hash and may just have to try some this year.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Corned venison - 10/27/23
Corned game is very tasty. Eileen has done a LOT of deer, but also elk and some water buffalo, from a bull I killed in Texas around 20 years ago.

On St. Patrick's day we had a party, serving both commercial corned beef from the local supermarket, and water buffalo. There were similar amounts of each, and while there was some commercial corned beef left after the party, there wasn't any corned water buffalo....
Posted By: waterrat Re: Corned venison - 10/27/23
We corned moose often,,we give a few big roasts to friends and they talk about them for years. It looks like if we take a winter moose a front shoulder is bound for corning.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Corned venison - 10/27/23
My dad did a couple of whole deer hams and I remember them being good.
Posted By: Sweets Re: Corned venison - 10/30/23
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
What's your mix/ratios for the hash? I corn venison every year, never thought to can hash and may just have to try some this year.

I use pint jars and put 1/3 cup each of shredded potatoes and onions, then stuffed with meat until 1" headspace.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Corned game is very tasty. Eileen has done a LOT of deer, but also elk and some water buffalo, from a bull I killed in Texas around 20 years ago.

On St. Patrick's day we had a party, serving both commercial corned beef from the local supermarket, and water buffalo. There were similar amounts of each, and while there was some commercial corned beef left after the party, there wasn't any corned water buffalo....

That sounds awesome
Last year there deer was a big doe so obviously there was more meat. I was able to get a couple nice sized roast. I corned them both. Made one for the holidays and smoked the other in spring and made pastrami. Oh soooooooo good.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Corned venison - 10/30/23
Not corned, but made deer pastrami twice last year, first time ever. Not sure why I waited so long. Have 2 deer in freezer already this year that will be a lot of pastrami. Wife isn’t a huge deer eater, but she put away the Reuben’s.
Posted By: Sweets Re: Corned venison - 11/03/23
How do you make your pastrami?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Corned venison - 11/03/23
+ 2 on the Pastrami !!

We use the Meateater recipe.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/watch-wild-goose-pastrami-recipe

Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Corned venison - 11/04/23
Ive made it the last two seasons.

Forget where the recipe is from..

Knowing me, first thing that popped up from “easy venison pastrami” 😂😂

I remember putting it in the frig for a week…

Do a batch… eat half… vac and freeze half..
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Corned venison - 11/04/23
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Not corned, but made deer pastrami twice last year, first time ever. Not sure why I waited so long. Have 2 deer in freezer already this year that will be a lot of pastrami. Wife isn’t a huge deer eater, but she put away the Reuben’s.

Dont reubens have sour kraut? ( yick)

Ill eat mine with just spicy mustard and red rind hoop cheese…
Posted By: Norske270 Re: Corned venison - 01/14/24
We always eat our Reubens with coleslaw instead of saurkraut. Very good.
© 24hourcampfire