Home
Posted By: superdave Goose? - 02/19/08
I went Canadian goose hunting for the first time a few weeks ago, man was that fun. Pit, big spread of decoys, my buddy's Benelli, a near perfect day.

Anyway, I didn't see much come up with a "goose" search here. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been told to marinade and grill them is good, any others? Thanks.

Dave
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Goose? - 02/19/08
My sister's friend from high school married a guy in the Air Force. He was stationed in Cheyenne and loved to hunt. She was a city girl with her city ways. She confessed that he forced her to fix some of his goose up kind of as a pulled bbq'd beef in the crock pot and it was very good. I don't have a recipe to offer, just a destination to arrive to.
Posted By: MissTreated Re: Goose? - 02/20/08
I have slow roasted them in a Rompertopf clay cooker. I stuff them with chunks of apples, prunes, perhaps lemon and some fresh herbs. Both the cooker and the stuff inside help add and/or keep moisture in the bird, while adding flavor.

M
Posted By: GPA Re: Goose? - 02/20/08
Breast and thigh meat are both good. Fillet the breast steaks off the bird and slice into 1/2" cutlets. Soak them for a couple of hours or overnight in V-8. Rinse...dredge in seasoned flour...fry in a very hot skillet...serve medium to rare. Chunk the boned thigh meat...soak in V-8...grind for burgers or goose balls. (Although I haven't tried it, my buddy uses the marinated thigh chunks for making "beef" stew.)

Enjoy,
Barney
Posted By: rob p Re: Goose? - 02/20/08
Substitute goose for the beef in your favorite beef stew recipe. My club's game dinner is next Sunday and it's on the menu. We fill a pot of water with onions and celery and throw in all the goose legs everyone saves all season. When they soften up, we pull all the meat off the bones. We do up all the vegetables, add chicken stock and throw the goose back in to simmer.
Posted By: chas05 Re: Goose? - 02/20/08
Marinade breasts (butterflyed) in bourbon, soy and brown sugar for several hours. Throw on hot grill for bout three min. per side...rare (if you over cook em', you probably won't care care for them)
Posted By: isaac Re: Goose? - 02/21/08
I very much enjoy, as do my hunting pards, breasting the goose and then making fajitas. Use your favorite Fajita recipe with all the fixins and I have to tell you it is a great way to go.

I've given up trying to cook the whole darn thing well and I've tried on over 50 birds, easily. Got me two on the last day of the season and it fed 4 quite easily.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. I love goose hunting!!It's like taking the cabin fun and banter to the hunting blinds.
© 24hourcampfire